Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selective enforcement as always!

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
V1 hardwired!
Originally Posted by ilko
Vaseline.
If I were to post this site you all would be crying for a moderator to ban me. So sorry. It's not going to happen.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
V1 for twelve years. It's bulletproof. Hard wired is not the way to go. You need to get the unit as close to the roof as possible for it to work at it's best. I put it on the passenger sun visor and run the wire down the side of the windshield and then push it between the dash and airbag all the way to the cig.lighter/power. No wires exposed and you can unplug it every time.No risk of battery drain like a hardwire install can cause.
I have a hardwired V1 in my Turbo and it does not work half as well as the removable V1 I hang from my sun visor in my RS clone. The hard wired system is simply mounted to low to get any range out of it. I have run both hardwired and non in the same car at the same time. The difference in performance is major. If you want real protection install above the rear view mirror.This is Not an opinion. Read the install instructions.
No, Mark. There is no way to hardwire the unit high. It can't detect through metal.Where can you hardwire/conceal the unit above the rearview mirror? Inside the headliner does not work.Please enlighten me with your wisdom.
Lead paint poisoning and vaseline?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I know someone try this method and it keep draining her battery
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
speedbump2
Racer

...The hard wired system is simply mounted to low to get any range out of it... ...If you want real protection install above the rear view mirror...
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Are you saying that if you hardwire a V1 and mount it high, it will have less performance than one that's run through the cigarette lighter and mounted high?
[Barbara Billingsly Voice] Excuse me Stewardess, I speak Jive [/Barbara Billingsly Voice]

I think he may be speaking about the remote sensing units that mount in the grill or over the license plate.
Those sensors are probably way too low to be effective for distance.
The higher the unit or sensor is mounted, the more sensitive it will be to signals coming in from a distance.

--Chuck--
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow guys
Thanks for all your input
I will not rely on it soley but there are times that I am sure it will save my bacon
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used V1 for ages, only got pulled over once..It was a new car and I didnt have time to hard wire the unit in..lighter plug did not make contact as it had vibrated out...have never used lighter plugs since.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical tape

If you wrap some black tape around the plug you won't have any power interruptions.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you wrap some black tape around the plug you won't have any power interruptions.
Porsche 993 and V1...the best of the bests. But you still have to use electrical or duct tape. Just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedbump2
[Barbara Billingsly Voice] Excuse me Stewardess, I speak Jive [/Barbara Billingsly Voice]

I think he may be speaking about the remote sensing units that mount in the grill or over the license plate.
Those sensors are probably way too low to be effective for distance.
The higher the unit or sensor is mounted, the more sensitive it will be to signals coming in from a distance.

--Chuck--
LOL; good one.

To most people on this board, hard wire means not using the cigarette lighter plug but using a hard wired connection from the car directly to the detector; it is not used as a catch-all for a remote sensor installation. From what he wrote, he was implying that a hard-wired install offered less protection, something that made no sense. It makes perfect sense that a lower mounted remote install would have less sensitivity than a detector that is mounted higher.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
LOL; good one.

To most normal people on this board, hard wire means not using the cigarette lighter plug but using a hard wired connection from the car directly to the detector; it is not used as a catch-all for a remote sensor installation. From what he wrote, he was implying that a hard-wired install offered less protection, something that made no sense. It makes perfect sense that a lower mounted remote install would have less sensitivity than a detector that is mounted higher.
Fixed it for you ^^^^^^^

--Chuck--
Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedbump2
Fixed it for you ^^^^^^^

--Chuck--
I actually had "normal" in my original post but decided to pull it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

I havn't had a detector since my last Audi was broken into, and my Passport was stolen from it, probably back in 92-93. I simply slowed down. The anology I ususlly say is, a woodpaneled minivan doing 100 could pass me at 10 over...and I would get the ticket.

Yea I got a 150+ pass without getting radar, just a visual, actually clocked at 134 in another car. I actually responded to the County Sherriff "wow, it was still puling strong". I have many very interesting tales of getting pulled over at extremely unreasonable speeds, and talking it down to a no front plate, or other non moving violation. Just be respectful, and cooperate...used to work-most of the time, for me.

Now on the interstates, I simply try to not be the fastest thing-often the flashiest, in traffic. I worry about the back road blasts, and finding a State Trooper somewhere just tooling along.

All that being said, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in a VERY long time.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

When I was on Long Island I was stopped twice for doing over the posted limit. Since then I have employed a strategy that has repeatedly gotten me off the hook. It may seem crazy, though. If I am travelling considerably faster than the rest of the traffic and happen to pass a patrol car I pull myself to the side of the road, put my docs on the dash, open the drivers side window and keep both hands on the wheel where the officer can see them. It's nice not to have to answer the "Do you know why I stopped you?" question, but rather "Why did you stop?". I tell the officer I figured he was going to pull me over. With only one exception this tactic has resulted in only a warning, the other time I got hit with a no front plate violation.

Mind you, I haven't been stopped in around 8 years.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am with ilko.
I have never owned a radar detector and probably never will. I know some drivers that do and still got into trouble.
Common sense it is.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 AM
ffwd
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for common sense plus a hardwired V1 (up high, snugged in front of and somewhat beside the rear view mirror).

V1 since 1998 in Audi A4 1.8T Q. Many saves. Now another V1 in '12 911 C4. Several saves already, but the standard solar control glass of the 911 windshield cuts down the range dramatically, about 40% less. Also a lot more false radar sources and instant-on radar guns these days.

I also found the V1 isn't just a radar detector, its also a lie detector. I saw an officer stopped in a gas/minimart as I passed by somewhat fast. He got in his car and pulled out to follow me, so I was exactly on speed limit. No radar alerts from the V1. After about a mile in the dark (night), he pulled me over, said that he had come from the opposite direction, clocked me headon at 53 in the 45, and then turned around to catch up to me. I didn't tell thim that A) I had seen him in the gas minimart so he was always behind me, B) he couldn't have clocked me from there because I was directly perpendicular to him when he got in his car, and C) I got no radar alerts from my V1. I expect he was actually waiting/hoping for me to speed up while he followed me. But I did wonder if my V1 had failed. ...until the next morning when it was alerting as usual. So I'm thinking the V1 didn't lie.

Quick Reply: Best radar detector