Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ummm... How Bad Do These Look? ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ummm... How Bad Do These Look? ..

Bought the car about a year ago with like 91k on the clock, and since then I've put on 2k more miles. I knew I was still sitting on stock suspension. Well, the car still looks good on the outside, the car still moves, smile still on my face and other people's face around me. I thought I can leave it until this summer. I thought it handled fine but then I never drove a well tuned 993 yet. Anyway, not exactly knowing what to look for. I tried the fender push test and didn't experience any bouncing. I haven't gone on much curvy bump roads recently and probably shouldn't thinking my shocks are prob...bleh. I did however experience some bumpsteer(?not sure if thats what they are called?) Well,just now, a peek behind the front wheels... this is what I saw.... I know its time. This is sitting on flat ground. I don't exactly know what I'm looking at but I'm guessing it is some very very worn rusty shocks with a cracked bushing on top. And both sides aren't even identical even sitting on flat ground, the left side has the shaft exposed or something. I don't want to crawl under the car at night but I'd imagine it be similar or worse.

so.... i know it is time... but just wondering, how bad is this exactly to your experienced eyes? or have you seen worse?

left

right

this is a street car. no planned de/ track / ax anytime in the near future. So I feel like bilstein HD + mo30 should do. I got an email heading straight to Fister right now what do you guys think on the ride height? row sport? rs +10 ? rs? ( not that i know what those means, but i suppose Darin or whoever at fdm will know )
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Well,..those shocks are "done". Kaput.

The top bump rubbers are all done, as well.

At 91K, they are LONG overdue for replacement.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

My 993 is a little lower than ROW. It is a great height, looks good, handles well, not to hard to get in and out of, and I have not scrapped my front or rear end yet.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That picture made me flinch!! YIKES!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Shocks are toast. Who did your PPI, how many miles were on the car when you bought it and did the shop tell you that the shocks were done?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

definitely replace! I went RS+10 and love it! looks right and haven't had issues with scrapping.

phil.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I've had less issues with scraping since I moved to PSS10's and lowered (from my stock suspension which was kaput after 42K miles).
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

These to not look that unusual for a car of that mileage - most of the ones I pull are like that. When you take them out, you will also find the shock has virtually no dampening, and you will wonder how the car handled with shocks like that.

At your mileage the shocks are worn out - so now you should be researching and making your decisions for replacing them.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Shocks are toast. Who did your PPI, how many miles were on the car when you bought it and did the shop tell you that the shocks were done?
PPI? What PPI..
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EEEK pretty bad
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Thanks for all the reactions Now I'm very very sure I need new suspension.

yeah What PPI ? :P haha , when we were shopping we sort of only did the first half of a PPI and stopped it when the mechanic first found a bit of oil leak cuz we thought we must look for one with absolutely no oil leak ( they did say that there doesn't seems to be anything else super outstandingly broken about it though ) , but months later, when the several other ones we've seen and had PPI done, they seems to be in much worse condition than this one, and the seller of this one gave us a very reasonable price, And it is a rare color combo, and finding out that a lil oil leak is no big deal we took it before finishing the other half of PPI . we knew at the time that the price range we were looking at wouldn't be perfect and factored that in already, and suspected all the cars we were looking at needed suspension anyway. i know i know, that was slightly risky, but it all ended up good. cuz afterall, isn't everything fixable and whats more important is how much the car speak to you in the first place (this one got some unique touches to it ^_^) ? we did take it back to the same mechanic later on and had the 90k service done on it and he reminded me to get shocks and springs

so here I am. I think I'm pretty set on bilstein hd + mo30 at rs+10 along with walrod bushing from Fister's shop . any objections? xD
Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon
Thanks for all the reactions Now I'm very very sure I need new suspension.

so here I am. I think I'm pretty set on bilstein hd + mo30 at rs+10 along with walrod bushing from Fister's shop . any objections? xD
This is what I run and have absolutely no regrets.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
This is what I run and have absolutely no regrets.
That's the setup I'm thinking about, 2 questions:

Can you give me an idea of how the ride is compared to my stock set up?

Is there any need to consider a sway bar upgrade as well?

I'm looking to accomplish a couple of goals with a suspension upgrade:

1) Maintain a stock ride
2) Lower the car a bit
3) Improve cornering

I won't be tracking the car, but might to a DE at some point...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

It will accomplish all 3 goals for you. The ride is more firm, but somehome seems not as jaring as the stock ride. I think it feels better, and I have to drive on brick streets several times a day. The cornering is light years ahead of stock. If I was tracking it more, I'd pop for the PSS 10 setup. But I do a few DEs a year and drive it daily the rest of the time so I think its a good comprmise.
I did not do the M030 sway bars, just the springs and stuck with the stock sways.
Here are some pics of hard cornering (on Hoosiers.) there is some body roll, but it's not too bad.
Turn 1 at Sebring about 80 MPH

Turn 7 about 45mph
Old 05-22-2012, 01:08 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
It will accomplish all 3 goals for you. The ride is more firm, but somehome seems not as jaring as the stock ride. I think it feels better, and I have to drive on brick streets several times a day. The cornering is light years ahead of stock. If I was tracking it more, I'd pop for the PSS 10 setup. But I do a few DEs a year and drive it daily the rest of the time so I think its a good comprmise.
I did not do the M030 sway bars, just the springs and stuck with the stock sways.
Here are some pics of hard cornering (on Hoosiers.) there is some body roll, but it's not too bad.
Turn 1 at Sebring about 80 MPH

Turn 7 about 45mph
Thanks for the feedback...could be that its just hard cornering in the pics,but the ride height seems just a touch too low for me. Can you give me an idea of how much the setup lowred your car from stock? Also,your thoughts on Konis instead of the Bilsteins?

Quick Reply: Ummm... How Bad Do These Look? ..