993 Forum 1995-1998

OT things to do on a West Coast driving trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Cant comment about the stuff north of SF but these are the to hit along the way. From north to south:
Napa/Sonoma - not just for the wine but enjoy the food too!
Berkeley
San Francisco downtown / Fisherman warf / Chinatown
101 south to
Big Sur
Carmel
Monterey - don't miss the Monterey Aquarium
??Berkeley??

Originally Posted by JPP
Benbow Inn .. great old place to stay in the Redwoods and the roads over are amazing:
http://www.benbowinn.com/

+1 for Benbow Inn

Even if you don't stay there, at least stop and have a cocktail and check the place out. You will not be disappointed, and it is just a couple minutes off of 101. If you don't spend the night, you'll wish you had once you see it!

When you're in Monterey take the 10 min drive out to Laguna Seca. The main gate is open for visitors to drive right in 7 days a week. (when there is not a major event going on) Check out the beautiful landscape that Laguna has to offer. You can drive right into the paddock and the souvenir shop will be open. Good chance some group will be there using the track, so you see live action on course also.

Have fun!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others will have better info, but I suggest going West from Portland to the Coast.
If you can get to Cannon Beach then work your way south you will discover some wildly scenic coast, nearly comparable to Big Sur.
One warning...I believe the speed limit in Oregon is 55, even on the freeways....it's heavily enforced and traffic moves at 55.

From Cannon Beach 101 follows the coastline, kind of in and out, going through a lot of quaint little towns.

At Tillamook there is a terrific aircraft museum housed in a WWII blimp hangar...well worth several hours.

Further south in Newport is a world class aquarium.

Our favorite little town is just south of Waldport, place called Yachats which I don't think has changed since the 50's.

Have not been south of Florence, but I sure recommend taking a couple of days to drive from Cannon Beach down to Florence, stop for beachcombing and tidal pools any chance you get.

Gordo
Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great suggestions guys and please keep them coming. We're just going to have a free wheeling trip and haven't booked a thing. We'll find out how sensible that is . We've got our new Ipad3 to check out hotels and what not. I think I will compile a list of your recommendations on a map which will probably work out a lot better than just randomly picking our stops. I've just come back in from the garage trying to get a few things done on the car and make sure its ready to go. We won't be in a hurry although I will bring the radar detector.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 993/907
Others will have better info, but I suggest going West from Portland to the Coast.
If you can get to Cannon Beach then work your way south you will discover some wildly scenic coast, nearly comparable to Big Sur.
One warning...I believe the speed limit in Oregon is 55, even on the freeways....it's heavily enforced and traffic moves at 55.

From Cannon Beach 101 follows the coastline, kind of in and out, going through a lot of quaint little towns.

At Tillamook there is a terrific aircraft museum housed in a WWII blimp hangar...well worth several hours.

Further south in Newport is a world class aquarium.

Our favorite little town is just south of Waldport, place called Yachats which I don't think has changed since the 50's.

Have not been south of Florence, but I sure recommend taking a couple of days to drive from Cannon Beach down to Florence, stop for beachcombing and tidal pools any chance you get.

Gordo
Gordo

That sounds like a wonderful drive and we've never done the Oregon coast.

Now you got me thinking...
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you hoping to make time down the coast or enjoy the drive? If you are after a great drive and not in a hurry hit Route 1 in Mendocino and take it all the way down to SF. Sea Ranch http://www.searanchlodge.com/ is a great place to stay and not horribly expensive. The roads around there are favorites of the California Mille and as pretty but far less travelled than in the Big Sur area. Do bring your radar detector though. The last few miles into SF just south of Stinson Beach are especially nice.

Route 1 directly south of SF isn't especially exciting so I'd skip that in favor of taking I-280 to Route 101 and just get down to Monterey. It's faster and you'll get a tour of the Artichoke Capital of the World. You probably know the drill in Monterey and Big Sur - it's pretty much all worth doing although I'd add cocktails at Ventana (across the street from Post Ranch, just a few minutes south of Big Sur lighthouse) to the must do list. The view/ambiance is really special - the restaurant is quite good as well.

If you have more time on your way back you might try to catch the Palo Alto Concours on June 24th http://www.paconcours.com/ which is usually fun with an eclectic assortment of cars. Don't be fooled by the microclimates, it can be cool by the ocean and quite hot only a few miles inland so dress in layers. One other car possibility is a visit to the Blackhawk museum http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/ which is just east of SF and easy to catch if you head back north that way.

My final tip is if you head into Napa Valley be sure to go up/down the Silverado Trail. It runs parallell to the main drag (Route 29) in Napa, on the east side of the valley. There's far less traffic and some of the prettiest wineries in the valley are on that drive, especially toward the north end of the valley. Lunch at Auberge or Meadowood would add nicely to the drive as well.

Have a great time!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SWMBO and I did something like this 12 years ago for our 10th anni. Started in Port Angeles WA and went down H1/101. Your route will miss the WA state stretch which is no big loss.
Lots of places to stay on the Oregon coast and you're ahead of the peak season.
When in Northern California on 101 be sure to turn back to the coast at Leggett on to Highway 1. You'll see a caution sign that says something like "Hills and Curves ahead for 23 miles" and they mean it
If your timing works another place to stay in Mendocino is at the Stanford Inn by the Sea.
South of Mendocino consider turning back in land on Highway 128. This takes you back to the wine valleys of Sonoma and Napa. We stayed at the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa and toured Napa and Sonoma from there.

Jim
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're up for a dinner one night, I'm sure we can get a little group together.

And I can offer up some basic accommodations in Oakland, even as a "car care" station like we did for Tim and his friend when they did their road trip a couple of years ago. (Fister came over, and we all went to a baseball game, if that is interesting at all we could do that.)

Best reason to come to Oakland? It could become the Chestnut Brown center of the universe for one day.......
Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

If it works out when you pass through Everett Wa. The Boeing tour is great.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
If you're up for a dinner one night, I'm sure we can get a little group together.

And I can offer up some basic accommodations in Oakland, even as a "car care" station like we did for Tim and his friend when they did their road trip a couple of years ago. (Fister came over, and we all went to a baseball game, if that is interesting at all we could do that.)

Best reason to come to Oakland? It could become the Chestnut Brown center of the universe for one day.......
Thanks. I'm trying my best to stay out of the big cities though. A Chestnut Brown reunion sounds interesting though.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Don't miss Skaggs Springs road in Stewarts Point, CA . . . it's a fantastic road with very little traffic or cross roads.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stop in to see Darin Fister at FD Motorsport and get exhausted.

FD Motorsports
150 Middlefield Ct. Suite G
Brentwood, Ca 94513
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Lost Coast is lost for a reason. I rode my bike there a couple of years ago and the road to get there sucks. Was like a bombed out road. So many potholes. Avenue of the Giants on your way to Benbow Inn is amazing. Benbow Inn is really old and not that fantastic except compared to the crappy motels around there. South of Benbow Inn cut over to Hwy 1 and follow all the way to SF. GG Bridge and 19th Ave to 280 South to 92 West and back over to 1. Very nice down to Santa Cruz. You can stop at Ano Nuevo. Not sure of the elephant seal schedule. Need an appt there though.

Monterrey Aquarium is great. 17 mile drive and Carmel are musts as is a drive down Hwy 1 along Big Sur coast. Amazing. Big Sur Bakery is a nice place for dinner if you dont want to spend a few hundred on dinner at Serra Mar at Post Ranch (It is the best $1,000/night place to stay!)

I like Sonoma County over Napa for wine tasting. Napa is SO commercialized. There are great wineries in Russian River area. Great Zinfindels and Pinots. Martinelli is one of my favorites.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

I've always liked the vineyards around Paso Robles - doesn't typically matter which ones (at least I've never been disappointed). Peachy Canyon Rd is a really good drive with hardly any traffic.

Download the In-n-Out Burger app too...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 PM
993/907
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Gordo

That sounds like a wonderful drive and we've never done the Oregon coast.

Now you got me thinking...
Check it out on Google Maps and Google Earth when you have a chance.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 PM
G$ 993
Instructor

Will be doing this exact drive in August for car week. Lots of interesting suggestions. Any good coastal microbrew in southern OR/NorCal?

Quick Reply: OT things to do on a West Coast driving trip