Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S driveline whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C4S driveline whine

Now that spring is here, I've taken my new-to-me C4S on a few mountain runs. The car has just been serviced and the front differential has new oil but at speed I hear a driveline whine coming from the middle-to-front of the car. When coasting in neutral the whine is still there and is related to speed not engine RPM. When the power is engaged, the whine is a bit louder. Anyone with an AWD car had this and what is t typically? BTW the viscous coupling was replaced just before the car was sold to me...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zack,

never experienced that. You might jack the car and feel for play in the front wheels to see if it might be as simple as front wheel bearings. I'd also make sure the front diff is completely filled.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

The front driveline goes through the shifter. This part needs to be greased. You can do it form inside the car, if you pull the shift **** off, & remove the rubber boot under it. You can also get it form under the car.

On my C4, this was driving me NUTS! Turned out the rubber boot under the shifter was falling apart, & letting a bunch of noise into the car, replaced that & lubed the drive shaft & it's a lot quieter.

Quick Reply: C4S driveline whine