993 Forum 1995-1998

Big power 993 engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, I have huge respect for Colin and guys like that.

Him and some others, such as Steve, do things right without cutting corners which of course won't be cheap.

I'm an designer & engineering type so when people create stuff themself and push the envelope, I really am into that since I do things like that myself (although in cruise ships, not in cars) but when it comes to me, I can't think of dropping $50K into rebuilding an engine if I end up with 450 hp (and don't get me wrong, that's a LOT of juice!) because because that engine is in a $30K car.

I'd rather buy a TT engine and be done with it or if I wanted 450+ hp, get the TT engine and put bigger turbos and inter cooler.

Just my 5 cents.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Flying Finn,
I love the Avatar. One fast and crazy Canadian...
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
First of all, I have huge respect for Colin and guys like that.

Him and some others, such as Steve, do things right without cutting corners which of course won't be cheap.

I'm an designer & engineering type so when people create stuff themself and push the envelope, I really am into that since I do things like that myself (although in cruise ships, not in cars) but when it comes to me, I can't think of dropping $50K into rebuilding an engine if I end up with 450 hp (and don't get me wrong, that's a LOT of juice!) because because that engine is in a $30K car.

I'd rather buy a TT engine and be done with it or if I wanted 450+ hp, get the TT engine and put bigger turbos and inter cooler.

Just my 5 cents.
Agree with the price vs. value of the car etc. but the Turbo just isn't as fun IMO. It is too much power coming on too strong to suit my driving style. If I lived in the desert where all roads were straight then it would be perfect. I like to work for it just like my motorcycles......lower displacement wound tight
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

Just my 5 cents.
Well sir,........powerful Turbo & N/A engines possess totally different personalities and its not easy to compare such things.

I'll guarantee that the engine that I posted the pic of is VERY entertaining to drive and is totally usable from idle to 7K RPM. That makes it fun at any speed; something that cannot always be said for turbo motors,...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I'll guarantee that the engine that I posted the pic of is VERY entertaining to drive and is totally usable from idle to 7K RPM. That makes it fun at any speed; something that cannot always be said for turbo motors,...
But you have to admit probably even the worst turbo engine of today is light years away from almost all of the crap we dealt with in trying to make "big power 930s".

The advance I saw for the future (and no way, no how I was able to play/provide in that league with my meager shop}, was Bob Holcombe working with Zytec ECUs on forced induction engines about one year off of their state-of-the-art use in F1 circa 1985-6. I knew that was the future, but I also knew I wasn't an engineer, nor someone who was going to make Porsches/autos/racing my life's work.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by race911
But you have to admit probably even the worst turbo engine of today is light years away from almost all of the crap we dealt with in trying to make "big power 930s".
Thankfully, yessss,...

The advance I saw for the future (and no way, no how I was able to play/provide in that league with my meager shop}, was Bob Holcombe working with Zytec ECUs on forced induction engines about one year off of their state-of-the-art use in F1 circa 1985-6. I knew that was the future, but I also knew I wasn't an engineer, nor someone who was going to make Porsches/autos/racing my life's work.
Engine Management, along with much-improved turbocharger technology, has transformed these things. Still, an ITB and/or slide-valve equipped N/A engine has far more "snap" and is really exhilarating to drive.

Apples and Oranges,...
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Steve, coming previously from a turbo 2 liter, I'm previlaged to drive imo the best all motor engine and its staying that way.

Pm headed your way about the beautiful engine you've pictured here. I just read the entire build about the 964 on you're website. Great work and car.

Bump, this thread rules.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Agree with the price vs. value of the car etc. but the Turbo just isn't as fun IMO. It is too much power coming on too strong to suit my driving style. If I lived in the desert where all roads were straight then it would be perfect. I like to work for it just like my motorcycles......lower displacement wound tight
Well sir,........powerful Turbo & N/A engines possess totally different personalities and its not easy to compare such things.

I absolutely agree with you guys.

Although while in some way it would be fun to have a brutal turbo as those old 911 RSR with big turbos were but my style of driving is, shall I say "Finnish" (=some times a bit sideways), so N/A engine is certainly what I'd prefer so what for example Colin & you Steve can "cook up" would be in top of my priorities list as long as I had the $$$ to do it. That ($$$), and that only is why I say that I'd rather go with turbo.

Besides visual beauty, I'm a sucker for aural beauty so hearing flat six screaming above 7K rpm is always fantastic!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM
AlessandroSicari
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin, you mentioned $16k kit for 300-320bhp. I think that's what I've been emailing you/your team about. Can you provide some more detail?

I'm based in Australia though so need a local who can do the work. Anyone in Aus have i should be talking to?

Either that or I can put Colin onto my guy (who builds race cars, Porsche cup, moslers, gt40's etc) who is very very good but hasn't yet done a 993 upgrade like we are talking about here.

Appreciate there are Later options available (996, 997 gt3 etc) but I can't go past that hard-to-describe '993ness'

I'm happy to throw AU$20k at my 95 993 to gain 300bhp+ at the wheels...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AlessandroSicari
Colin, you mentioned $16k kit for 300-320bhp. I think that's what I've been emailing you/your team about. Can you provide some more detail?

I'm based in Australia though so need a local who can do the work. Anyone in Aus have i should be talking to?

Either that or I can put Colin onto my guy (who builds race cars, Porsche cup, moslers, gt40's etc) who is very very good but hasn't yet done a 993 upgrade like we are talking about here.

Appreciate there are Later options available (996, 997 gt3 etc) but I can't go past that hard-to-describe '993ness'

You don’t need much to reach 300 crank hp. The additional 40-50hp will cost much more and from there the curve (cost vs. hp) goes up very aggressively.

With a 4-5k Eur investment you can do a Motec conversion which will give you 300-310 crank hp and 380-390Nm.

My 1996 varioram 3.6 with 200-cell metallic cats:

Stock ECU: 279hp/339Nm
Motec: 310hp/385Nm

Same dyno, identical conditions.

And the best part is that there is an additional 50Nm troughout the entire power band which you can definitely feel.

Then if you decide to invest 15k, why not go with a supercharger like I did? +150hp and 200Nm, instant power from almost idle…?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AlessandroSicari

Sorry, will be on the case shortly....
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juha G's post is interesting. So, I get the 200 cell cats but exactly what is the Motec ECU doing that the stock ECU is not? I understand a stock ECU from Porsche has to take into consideration a broad range of operating parameters and attendant countermeasures to maintain a safe operating environment for the engine. But, a roughly 30hp difference between Motec and stock? Btw, I'm not caling into question Juha's results nor am I calling BS...I'm just curious what the differences are between Motec and stock.

One of the most interesting threads in a long time
Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

My deepest apologies,.....I was simply trying to maintain my objectivity & integrity and one big way to do that is by not selling anything,...

Now,..if you want just one example to look at, here you go. Call me for details.
Steve....what are the specs/details on this motor you show?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Cactus
Steve....what are the specs/details on this motor you show?
Its a 335 BHP, 280 lbs-ft 3.6 with our own resonance-plenum, ITB intake system, custom (mild) cams, with gently massaged stock heads and OEM pistons. The header/muffler system is our own design as well and uses Motec M84 Engine Management to give complete control and additional resolution to the fueling and timing maps.

Its benign enough that I'm now planning to build one for my own street car.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 335 BHP, 280 lbs-ft 3.6 with our own resonance-plenum, ITB intake system, custom (mild) cams, with gently massaged stock heads and OEM pistons. The header/muffler system is our own design as well and uses Motec M84 Engine Management to give complete control and additional resolution to the fueling and timing maps.

Its benign enough that I'm now planning to build one for my own street car.
This motor would be real nice in a 993 with motons and a cup box...........
Now to find some $$$$ or would it be $$$$$
Hate to ask, what would the first of the 5 $ signs be, a 1$$$$, a 2$$$$ or a 3$$$$
Guess I should read the 964 build

Quick Reply: Big power 993 engines