993 Forum 1995-1998

Question for my Dallas 993 Rennlist buddies

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Question for my Dallas 993 Rennlist buddies

A really good friend of ours just bought himself a 997 GT2 in Dallas. He said there isn't a single flaw on it and he'd like to have it transported to Hot Springs, AR instead of driving it up on crazy messed up I-30. He will drive the heck out of it once he gets it home, but that will be all side roads.

Do any of you know of any small companies that transport cars (enclosed) locally? Intercity and DeMoise can do it, but he'd be waiting for three plus weeks to get his car. He'd like to get it sooner than that.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Check with Passport/ FedEx - I used them for St Louis to Fort Worth.
Enclosed, GPS trackable, ~1 week duration.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Thank you.

We'll try them too, but with it only being a 4.5 hour drive from Dallas to Hot Springs, they will probably have the same answer for us. If they have a spot he might luck out and get it quick. If not?? He'll have to wait or they'll just say they can't do it. There is a minimum charge and at only 317 miles is under the minimum for the 'big boys' in the industry. He doesn't have a problem with paying the minimum, it's with having to wait for a spot in a truck.

I was hoping someone might know of a smaller local company.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Dryfly57
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Google RUF Auto Center, they might be able to help.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Post on the Racing board. Maybe someone with a race trailer will haul it!?! Hell 300 miles is easy
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Post on the Racing board. Maybe someone with a race trailer will haul it!?! Hell 300 miles is easy
But who has enough insurance.

(Yeah, I'm paranoid about stuff like that.)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
techsis
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big boys have major issues with the short runs in the Midwest. I do not have a suggestion, but I am subscribing to this thread to hopefully help with my future transports. I bought my 993tt in Kansas and finally flew up and drove her home after over a month of excuses from the delivery service.

I also had a '69 Citroen shipped from Colorado to north Dallas. It took months and resulted in a destroyed emergency break from the overzealous loader. Shows that it is better to wait for a qualified shipper.

I would love to find a good midwest shipper that could transport my FJZ80 to Colorado for a power plant replacement.

BTW, JoAnne I hope all is going well on your end. I can relate to your situations from the perspectives given to me from a few close ladies in my life. All I can say is I am proud of you.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just tell him to drive. Thats what its designed to do!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Hans or Jonathon at RAC can lead you in the right direction, they are always moving cars around the country. Have you PM'd Brian, he uses a transport to ES every year from Dallas.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Jonathan at RAC has your answer. He knows all of the transport guys.

Jo, many of the DFW guys were in your neck of the woods yesterday! We had a blast. Mt Magazine was our final destination, with the Talahina drive being a highlight.

Your friend would be wise to drive the GT2 that route to home. With the exception of the first 120 miles out of Dallas, the roads are all great.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Patrick ~ You are kidding me!!! We went right by Mt. Magazine on our way to Fort Smith for a Maid Rite ! 2.5 hours one way for a sandwich (we are nuts). I wish I knew they were so darn close to us. We could have joined them! We were out and about anyway. Mt. Magazine is only an hour from us if we jump on I-40. Oh Well. Next time.

I Already mentioned to Mike about driving himself and going North out of Dallas and taking the Talahina Hwy home. He'd LOVE to, but just doesn't have the time. Yesterday he left at 600am to go see the car in Dallas and was back home by 6:00pm. It was a straight shot on I-30. I-30 is either a really great road, or terrible. It could mess up a front spoiler pretty easily if you didn't drive it often and know where all the bad spots are. On Wednesdays he does surgery out of his Little Rock office and he doesn't even take the quick route down the I-30 on those days, especially if he's in his Mean and Nasty '85 911. He takes the backroads all the way, and loves it!

Originally Posted by SC2993
Hans or Jonathon at RAC can lead you in the right direction, they are always moving cars around the country. Have you PM'd Brian, he uses a transport to ES every year from Dallas.
BRIAN!! I'll PM Brian this morning and if I don't hear from him, I'll call RAC and see if they will help, which I know they will. They are such nice guys..... just like Alls Y'all! (did I get that right?)

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by techsis
The big boys have major issues with the short runs in the Midwest. I do not have a suggestion, but I am subscribing to this thread to hopefully help with my future transports. I bought my 993tt in Kansas and finally flew up and drove her home after over a month of excuses from the delivery service.

I also had a '69 Citroen shipped from Colorado to north Dallas. It took months and resulted in a destroyed emergency break from the overzealous loader. Shows that it is better to wait for a qualified shipper.

I would love to find a good midwest shipper that could transport my FJZ80 to Colorado for a power plant replacement.

BTW, JoAnne I hope all is going well on your end. I can relate to your situations from the perspectives given to me from a few close ladies in my life. All I can say is I am proud of you.

Cheers,

John

John ~ I am doing well. I was actually given the okay by the reconstructive surgeon to let my new girls free this past Friday, NO MORE BONDAGE!!! Who let the dogs out??? I let the puppies out of the dog house!!! I'm letting my freak flag fly!!! I CAN GO FOR LONG RIDES IN THE 993! Bumpity, bump, Bounce, bounce!! YIPEEE!!!!!

Thank you for being proud of me. As I look back on the road I've been on for the past six months, I still can't believe it happened to me, but it did, and here I am. JoAnne with the bionic knockers! Actually they look and feel so real (except for the scars and two little missing parts) that I can't believe that they aren't. All is good and I am happy and HEALTHY.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

JoAnne,

I'll forward you the guy's contact info tomorrow when I find it in my office. He does a very good job and is very consciensious of the hardware he's pulling.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

I appreciate it very much. THANK YOU B !!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If any of this falls through, Ray Joseph at RPM Sportscars has a guy that he uses exclusively. Small enclosed trailer, only one car at a time, very white glove. He is in Houston, but probably easy to pick up in Dallas.

Quick Reply: Question for my Dallas 993 Rennlist buddies