993 Forum 1995-1998

Cabrio Car Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Jetzeus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabrio Car Seats

Just ordered 2 Diono Radian 100 car seats from Amazon...hoping like heck they will fit in the back seats, but not holding my breath. Might try the Britax Frontier 85 if they don't work...anybody have any luck yet with a Cab?

Cheers...Nick
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that is like the Sunshine radian 80? I did the Bk mod to use with LATCH. I could sort of cinch it down. However, since I only have one car, I am selling the cab due to the munchkin in back. If I lived somewhere with a garage and had a couple cars, I'd keep it and use it around town with such a child seat.

I never really resolved the rear tehter issue. There is a small tab down there, but it isn't structurally sound.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Jetzeus
Advanced

Ah ha....sooooooooo what you are saying is stringing the belt thru the slot in the seat and latching said belt into the latch won't be enough to secure the seat? And here I thought my biggest challenge was just finding a seat narrow enough to fit!!

Of course the LATCH system has to be the smartest (and presumably safest) way to secure a car seat into a car (for those cars actually equipped with the LATCH system), but, as you know, this design wasn't even in concept in 1998 as far as I know. I will have to research the mod you speak of, but in the meantime still wonder if just a standard LATCH-free installation is adequate!!

Thanks for your reply! In the meantime, I'm still lucky enough to have the S4 for rugrat transport...but they are chomping at the bit to go topless!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

How big are the kids? And no, you generally won't get it tight enough. Narrow is indeed a challenge, but isn't the only challenge...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Jetzeus
Advanced

Well, they are 2 and 5 years old, 32# and 42# respectively. I will let you know how this whole thing goes. Seats should be here by the end of the week!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Jetzeus
Advanced

Well....so far so good. These Diono seats seem to really wedge into the seat quite well. Easy to install and the kids say they are comfy...as long as the front seats are moved forward, anyway! I go on the 31st to get the whole set up inspected by a certified car seat installer (local firefighter)...that will be the final chapter and hopefully they deem everything safe. If the seatbelts function as they are designed to, I cannot imagine he will find them unsafe though.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetzeus
Just ordered 2 Diono Radian 100 car seats from Amazon...hoping like heck they will fit in the back seats, but not holding my breath. Might try the Britax Frontier 85 if they don't work...anybody have any luck yet with a Cab?

Cheers...Nick
Glad to see that the Radians fit. I would be very surprised if the Frontier 85 would fit in the rear...its a large seat especially the SICT version. I have the Frontier 85 (non-SICT) sitting up front in a GT3 seat...great seat - built like a tank and able to use 5 pt harness until they are 85lbs. Added plus is that it's also my coffee cupholder
Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jetz...do you have more pics, ESP around the base and such? Would love to see how this works out.

How did you resolve the tether mount issue?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Esexx
Advanced

I am glad I found this post. I am in the same boat looking for 2 seats for 5 and 2 year olds. However, they will go in a 996.

Quick Reply: Cabrio Car Seats