Sponsored by:

MOMO 07 cup wheel and airbag by-passing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
James Hunt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOMO 07 cup wheel and airbag by-passing

Hello from rainy England guys! Not a frequent poster here as I usually stick to 911uk. However reading the many technical posts on here (when I searched) led me to think that my question would be better off suited here.
I have a momo 07 steering wheel with the horn push that I recently purchased. I have now scoured google for the info, can find it for the 964 but not for the 993. There is a part to disable BOTH the airbags (my intention as I am removing both) p.n 000 721 951 60 and is referred to as "bridge plug". Below please find the extract from the post I came across on the 964 forum when googled......(thanks to the original poster!).

""IMHO, the "bridge plug" (928.612.220.00) is the way to go. It was what the factory used for the Cup cars. Installation is simple and reversible. There is a carpet covered door on the passenger side of the centre console. Inside you will find a wide connector with an orange coloured tamper proof seal. Break the seal, pull the connector apart and insert the bridge plug. Both bags are now disabled (a good thing in my opinion). You do not need to mess with the wiring at the steering wheel, just tuck it away. On top of all that it is cheap. I can't find my bill but I know it was under $20 CDN so that should be about $10 bucks for you USA guys. I did have to wait for it to come from Germany which took about 6 weeks but your local dealer may have better luck.""

All I would like to know is can this be done on the 993? Does it have the same connectors/plugs to allow this part to be fitted and disable both of the airbags? If I have to I will wire in pararel 2.8 ohm resistors for each airbag but would really like to use this part instead. Can anybody answer this please? Any info greatly appreciated. To add to this the post above was from the following thread from the 964 forum....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...made-easy.html

JAMES
Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
carjmark
Advanced

Default Airbag Light Disable

I recently noticed that http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm sells RS steering wheels for the 993 and includes an airbag disable part with their wheel. You might call them and ask what that part consists of and if they sell it seperately. Mark
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
James Hunt
Banned

Hello Mark thanks for replying. I have tried already but not getting a response from them via email or phone as of yet. I am doing the install next week and need all the parts present before I commit to it. The 964 and 993 are very much alike and I am hoping they are in this respect for fitment of this part! Some might say just disconnect the bulbs etc but I like doing things the german way (properly!). Also read on my searching that removal of the passenger and driver airbags will result in a car that will not start as it is tied in with the alarm/immob. Aparantly porsche did this so the engine would cut when airbags were deployed. Dont know if theres any truth in it though?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Some numbers are a little crossed in your post! 00072195160 is an air bag test tool and is £370 (why you would need this I dont know!, all you are trying to do is fool the car to think it has all airbags are fitted and intact), 928.612.220.00 bridge adaptor is £20 and listed for 968 without airbag, it may well work on a 993. you will need the 993 RS horn contact.

There are many write ups of this mod being done, a resister has to be spliced into the wiring to fool the system
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by James Hunt
Hello from rainy England guys! Not a frequent poster here as I usually stick to 911uk. However reading the many technical posts on here (when I searched) led me to think that my question would be better off suited here.
I have a momo 07 steering wheel with the horn push that I recently purchased. I have now scoured google for the info, can find it for the 964 but not for the 993. There is a part to disable BOTH the airbags (my intention as I am removing both) p.n 000 721 951 60 and is referred to as "bridge plug". Below please find the extract from the post I came across on the 964 forum when googled......(thanks to the original poster!).

""IMHO, the "bridge plug" (928.612.220.00) is the way to go. It was what the factory used for the Cup cars. Installation is simple and reversible. There is a carpet covered door on the passenger side of the centre console. Inside you will find a wide connector with an orange coloured tamper proof seal. Break the seal, pull the connector apart and insert the bridge plug. Both bags are now disabled (a good thing in my opinion). You do not need to mess with the wiring at the steering wheel, just tuck it away. On top of all that it is cheap. I can't find my bill but I know it was under $20 CDN so that should be about $10 bucks for you USA guys. I did have to wait for it to come from Germany which took about 6 weeks but your local dealer may have better luck.""

All I would like to know is can this be done on the 993? Does it have the same connectors/plugs to allow this part to be fitted and disable both of the airbags? If I have to I will wire in pararel 2.8 ohm resistors for each airbag but would really like to use this part instead. Can anybody answer this please? Any info greatly appreciated. To add to this the post above was from the following thread from the 964 forum....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...made-easy.html

JAMES
Unfortunately None of that applies to the 993... I searched and searched and could not find bypass part for the 993. So I made my own.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=45114
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
James Hunt
Banned

911 Pervy-nope, the different part number was in the extract from the old post which I included as I was exploring all options. Just for your info (because you do not know) the airbag test tool is used to fool the system into thinking the airbags are still present. This is just a resistor in a box and does the same job as a couple of diy'ed 2.8ohm items. Before replying I suggest you read a post and any links in it before replying and you might see the reason for two different p.n.'s (a link is the thing at the bottom that lights up when your cursor is dragged onto it perv). Ref horn wasn't included anywhere in the thread (are you getting crossed between airbags and horns?). Ref "many write ups" I know and most were for the 964 concerning the pn's quoted. The whole idea behind this post was to find out if the device would work on the 993, which I know now it does thanks to Scott. Perv, I remember the last time I posted you gave me (well tried in vain) to kick off with me. Come again soon won't you-every circus needs its clown(red noses on sale at design911 perv-get in there boy).

Scott-thankyou for your reply and link, it proved very helpfull.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

www.airbagoff.com was one of teh solutions but their web site seems to be dead.

To James Hunt. Dude. Adjust your attitude if you really want to survive here, let alone get some useful answers.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

To tie up some loose ends... airbagoff was a knockoff of the factory "tester".. Both which are tremendously overpriced 2.8ohm resistors...

Personal opinion so take it for what its worth...
The resistors option is just bad, its an untested link in a mission critical chain.

Will the remaining airbag fire in an emergency?
or worse
Will it fire at some random time with a kid in the seat?

I don't want to find out.... I prefer not to modify such systems, either leave them alone or remove completely.... Removing both airbags and controller as a unit is the only safe way to do this...
Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Some good advice from Nile there James, this site is to help people, the info I gave was to help you

"000 721 951 60 and is referred to as "bridge plug" this is a tool and is £370, I told you this as you could easily get the impression that it was only $20 and get yourself into big trouble!

I still think you will need the horn contact that goes onto the column switch, part number 96465210400 to get the horn to work, see, Im being helpful there!

So calm down dear.............as Mr Winner would say
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Look in this thread -> https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ng-photos.html

Note the differences between OE Porsche hub vs. aftermarket MOMO hub in post #17 on pg 2 (or here https://rennlist.com/forums/9153705-post29.html)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Originally Posted by ToSi
Look in this thread -> https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ng-photos.html

Note the differences between OE Porsche hub vs. aftermarket MOMO hub in post #17 on pg 2 (or here https://rennlist.com/forums/9153705-post29.html)
There you go Mr Hunt, a better write up you couldnt hope to find! I knew there was one out there somewhere. Well done Mr Tosi
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
There you go Mr Hunt, a better write up you couldnt hope to find! I knew there was one out there somewhere. Well done Mr Tosi
I agree. That is the only thread to look at when doing the swap. Perfectly written and photographed. Mine went in without a hitch. Thank you, Tosi.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

He wasn't asking how to fool the control module....... He was asking how to remove the module.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Originally Posted by jscott82
He wasn't asking how to fool the control module....... He was asking how to remove the module.
OK, not sure if that is doable very easily, dont know if it would throw up all sorts of problems (DME etc) and airbag lights, at least with the method Tiso has laid out all seems as normal inside the car!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

This is what greeted me this morning in my PM inbox from this "James Hunt" person (I use the word "person" very loosely here.

Rennlist has a very long collective memory. I, personally, really dislike petulant children. In this case I believe this is insignificant insect is looking for attention, but a public spanking is probably still in order.

-------------
Hey, listen in cot death. Who in christs ****ing name do you believe you are replying with such a remark? Attitiude? Survive? ****ing idiot.You have never met me. You are not aware of the history between I and your boyfriend perv and the only thing that should be adjusted here is the length of your ****ing neck you gob****e. Just another wannabe mod who thinks because he has 3000+ posts his dick is bigger than those without. Well guess what couldn't give a ****. Your clearly a **** and are being treated as such. ****s get spoken to like ****s.

Quick Reply: MOMO 07 cup wheel and airbag by-passing