Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What's missing in this engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What's missing in this engine bay?

This 993 I'm interested in has definitely been tracked.
It shows some track hardware which doesn't bother me much (I tend to think that as long as it's not a track dedicated cars, some track miles are actually "more" healthy since it cleans up the engine internals, tho it does put stress on components as well..)
So I'm told of 2 removals here. The blower motor and the AC unit.
I think the air filter box has something else too, since it doesn't have the square opening near the oil filler cap as in

http://dotcarmedia.com/Porsche/993-7.jpg

Anything else missing? The seller says he's got the blower motor and AC compressor assemblies. The AC will definitely be put back in there.

What do you guys think? I'd really appreciate you guys' opinions.
I do plan on tracking 2-3 times a year and get the hang of the famous Porsche RR platform.

Thanks!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Is this the RS tribute car fs here .. with the Dawe's heads and remapped ecu etc. ..?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

The air box cover is cut open for a more throat-y sound, a la Fabspeed's CF box:

Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPP
Is this the RS tribute car fs here .. with the Dawe's heads and remapped ecu etc. ..?
hmm not sure.. this is from someone from pelicans parts..
it doesn't look like an RS tribute car tho since the whole car looks like a plain 993.. just the engine bay is like this..
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The air intake cover has been cut open to allow move air flow into the air filter. Those more knowledgeable can comment on this mod's real effect. The only downside I can only see is that the crankcase vent (IIRC) now spews into the engine compartment versus being contained inside the intake cover. IF, and I don't know that it is, this is oily, dirty air, it gets into the engine compartment versus being contained...

edit: its the clutch vent tube, not "crankcase". Thanks Mark in Baltimore.

A tracked car gets more wear on some components, but often those who track are more attentive to maintenance. Really depends on the driver and how hard they drive on track as well...some of us are slow as little old ladies on the track, so its not so hard on the car... Like any car, a PPI is the way to tell the true condition.

Check into the cost of re-installing the AC and make some allowance for things that go bad when not continuously lubricated by the refrigerant (seals, etc). I just checked and the compressor is only $312 on Pelican, which would be the most expensive part, I believe.

Last edited by kjr914; 04-19-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: I's kinda dum and fourgetfull. ;)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by gonzilla
The air box cover is cut open for a more throat-y sound, a la Fabspeed's CF box:

oh ic.. so the bottom tube is the water escape?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by kjr914
The air intake cover has been cut open to allow move air flow into the air filter. Those more knowledgeable can comment on this mod's real effect. The only downside I can only see is that the crankcase vent (IIRC) now spews into the engine compartment versus being contained inside the intake cover. IF, and I don't know that it is, this is oily, dirty air, it gets into the engine compartment versus being contained...

A tracked car gets more wear on some components, but often those who track are more attentive to maintenance. Really depends on the driver and how hard they drive on track as well...some of us are slow as little old ladies on the track, so its not so hard on the car... Like any car, a PPI is the way to tell the true condition.

Check into the cost of re-installing the AC and make some allowance for things that go bad when not continuously lubricated by the refrigerant (seals, etc). I just checked and the compressor is only $312 on Pelican, which would be the most expensive part, I believe.
awesome.. thanks!
this is a 95.. so aside from that, nothing else is missing? i know this doesn't have the variocam so it doesn't have the silver thing on top of engine.. but other than that, everything else looks good?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like it's all there to me, but I'm not at home to compare. I know several guys run w/o the blower so you may be able to get away w/o it. the heat is less, but i think it still works
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by skim
oh ic.. so the bottom tube is the water escape?
It's the clutch vent tube. Supposedly, it's designed to cool the clutch.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
The air box cover is cut open for a more throat-y sound, a la Fabspeed's carbon-fiber look box.
Fixed.

Andreas
Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Fixed.

Andreas
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Wonder what the point of removing the ac compressor and blower motor was and keeping the stock jelly filled engine mounts and dual pulley vs doing the RS mounts and RS pulley.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by skim
Anything else missing?
If it matters, the SAI pump and associated bits.

Whats so special about this one that you are after it?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
If it matters, the SAI pump and associated bits.

Whats so special about this one that you are after it?
i know this is a 95, so no CEL issue, but not having the SAI pump helps with the emission test?

i do plan on tracking this a few times a year and it just seems to come "ready". it's just right in my budget as well with everything included so that helps.
and i think it looks great! i may just swap out the euro amber corners all around (even rear).
since i'm looking for my first porsche, and a 993 at that, do you see any red flags?
thanks!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The hood latch looks to need adjustment.

Seriously, the car looks clean. Personal opinion, but if you plan on looking to retain the value, an unmolested example may be a sparter choice. However if you are looking to have fun and are not too concerned about taking a hit if you sell it, I say buy it, drive the **** out of it and enjoy yourself!

Quick Reply: What's missing in this engine bay?