993 Forum 1995-1998

993 C4 Cab Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 PM
billhart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 C4 Cab Value?

I haven't posted here in a while, but still have my 993 c4 cab. It is what I would call a good driver, not perfect, but good original black paint, very clean, new top, two sets of wheels, brand new tires, etc. Car has 45k miles. I bought it about 5 years ago with 20k miles, and it doesn't get driven in the winter. I've been pretty scrupulous about maintaining the car, but I'm at a point where I might let it go.
My usual independent mechanic has been very good and in taking it to an authorized dealer, they recommended pulling the engine just to clean the secondary air injectors. I never had any issue with these, i had a CE lite once a year or two ago, that was cleared by cleaning out the ports. The car has a couple minor oil leaks, clutch is fine, etc. The best recommendations I've gotten say not to pull the motor until I really need to, clutch, valve job, then clean up the gaskets, seals, and do the more extreme secondary injector cleaning.

In light of this, what is the car realistically worth in today's market?
I trust this is not an inappropriate post and I am not trying to indirectly shill for offers here, everywhere I go, people seem to pop out of the woodwork and want to buy the car.
Oh, postscript, it's a 96.

Last edited by billhart; 04-19-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo and added m/y
Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am assuming it has original suspension and pretty well stock. I'd place it at $35k+ since we are in cab-season. Lower is issues pop up in PPI.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
billhart
Instructor

I guess i should have elaborated more, sorry I didn't want this to seem like an advertisement. Car was lowered to Euro height, has Bilstein re-do on suspension, 18 inch MY 2002 wheels (original wheels are mounted with a set of snows but hardly used), and real Porsche RS splitters on the front. Other than that and upgraded stereo (original is boxed but no cutting done for upgraded speakers) it is stock. Has Xenons (not Porsche) and a few other goodies I've probably forgotten. Work was originally done by Rick Demann and then Cheech at Rennwerke.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM
porsita
Rennlist Member

Carrera 4 cabs are probably the rarest of all 993s as far as production numbers go with notable exceptions the GT and Turbo S models
They were second in sticker price only to the Turbo and are by far the most sophisticated air cooled convertibles ever produced by Porsche, especially when equipped with ABD
I wouldn't sell my 98 with 14.5 K miles for less than 60k and have been offered mid to high 50s for it on sight
In time when the dust settles, and real collector car status embraces the 993, always look at production numbers because they alone will determine the rarity value
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
billhart
Instructor

Vincer and Porsita: Thank you both for your responses. I like the car and enjoy driving it- I have had quite a few different sports cars over the years, including those little red cars from Italy (including one from the competing brand), as well as a 996 GT2. This car is very involving to drive in the twisties, can move along briskly if pressed, and has an old world character that the more modern cars can't duplicate. Having said that, and after a foray into a pre-war car, I just find myself driving less.
My question relates in part to whether it is worth doing a full engine out service at this point- my inclination is that while it may make the next owner a little more comfortable, I won't get my money out of a major service like this- there is, as I understand it, no pressing need- the CE lite has not triggered since the ports were cleaned a year or so ago, and the clutch seems fine. I don't like having small oil leaks (i tend to stay on top of these cars) but my thinking is, if I sell it, I can let the next owner make the investment, as needed. And, if I keep it, I may have the work done when it is needed, rather than just pulling the motor to clean the secondary injectors, for the sake of doing it.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by billhart
My question relates in part to whether it is worth doing a full engine out service at this point- my inclination is that while it may make the next owner a little more comfortable, I won't get my money out of a major service like this- there is, as I understand it, no pressing need- the CE lite has not triggered since the ports were cleaned a year or so ago, and the clutch seems fine.
It sure is not worth it. You would be lucky to get 60-70% recovery on an engine out service. I could have asked for a 50% recovery on my 996 engine out full service when selling it but just wanted to get rid of it quickly so it was sold $2-3K under market value. I am sure I could have found a buyer willing to split that maintenance cost with me if I waited.

Your car has lower miles compared to others in the market at 45K. I would do a 15K mile service and call it a day. Getting a PPI done at Rick's or Cheech's shop with leakdown and compression numbers would help facilitate a sale but I would encourage prospective buyers also do their own PPI.

Last edited by chsu74; 04-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM
billhart
Instructor

Thanks, chsu74. Best,
bill hart
Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't pull the engine if the clutch does not need replacement. Oil leaks are minor and expected.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM
billhart
Instructor

Thank you again. Good community here (even though I have been absent for a while).
Best to all,
bill
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
porsita
Rennlist Member

The cost - benefit analysis will show that as far as the numbers it's not worth doing if the intend is to sell or short term ownership

Quick Reply: 993 C4 Cab Value?