Sponsored by:

Help - I lost a piece from my spoiler motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - I lost a piece from my spoiler motor

So I was doing the spoiler repair with the new bearing and in the process lost the small piece on the end of the shaft (looks like a ball bearing with a hole drilled through). You can see it in Tore's link where he lays out the four pieces, I am missing the far right piece. http://privat.bluezone.no/toreb2000/spoilerrepair.html

Does anyone either have an old non-working spoiler motor that could spare me this vital piece. Or anyone have any ideas where I could pick up something similar.

Thanks, Frank
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha...funny, I lost the same piece but found it eventually in the parts washer gunk. I'm pretty sure I still have the old transmission and will have a look later this morning in the shop. I made 2 attempts to repair my original ( 1995 ) unit and both times after about a month it blew apart. Just couldn't get the casing to hold together. It was extremely difficult to get it apart the first time without damaging the little channel/groove part and so I think there was never enough material for the contact cement to get a good hold.
I finally bought a new unit from Sunset for I think $270.00. Sigh...at least I tried! If I have the old unit you are welcome to all the parts...

Jim
Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to report Frank, that I have searched the shop...and no luck, it must have gone in the last round of spring cleaning, in the bin marked "when would I ever need this?", and out the door.

If you are able to replace the lost bit I hope you have better luck with the rebuild than I did...seems a lot of folks do.

Jim
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Hi Jim,

thanks a lot for having a look!

Regards, Frank
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by frankv
...lost the small piece on the end of the shaft (looks like a ball bearing with a hole drilled through).
You mean the one on the right in this pic...

If nobody comes through with one, you might try a spacer from McMaster Carr that you can cut/file/turn down. Measure the end of that shaft with a micrometer and see what you come up with. You'll likely want something is steel or brass.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex,

yes, that is the one. I'm taking another look tomorrow to see whether I can find it, otherwise this may have to be plan B.

Thanks ,Frank
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost mine too when my trans exploded and ended up using a nylon spacer from Ace Hardware. It needed some trimming, but works fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Hi JMR,

that sounds like an excellent alternative as well to Alex's. The part itself is non-moving and is more to prevent the shaft from wiggling around when it is in motion. I guess the hole in the centre could wear over time (vs. a brass spacer) but that would probably take a real long time.

Thanks, Frank

Quick Reply: Help - I lost a piece from my spoiler motor