Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need some paint advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something about the seal being glued in to the glass and the car. It ain't per factory install whatever it is...

This looks like it may prevent future rust issues. But I wonder if this is what my body guy is talking about?
993 Thread: DIY - Sealing The 993 Windshield and Rear Window
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ar-window.html

Perhaps the inner plastic cracked so prev. owner decided to glue the outer seal in rather than replace the whole window?
993 Thread: Rear window seal
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ndow-seal.html

Regardless, I am going to get the old seal out of there and see what can be done. If we need to a new rear glass then this is the time to do it. Somebody hide my wallet...

Last edited by HerrDoktor; 04-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDoktor
Something about the seal being glued in to the glass and the car. It ain't per factory install whatever it is...
No, it is the factory install. The glass is glued into the car with a urethane adhesive. Unless you need to remove the glass to fix rust, or in the case of the windshield because it is chipped/cracked/damaged, leave it alone. All you need to do is remove the outer (cosmetic) rubber gasket.

IMHO, you're making a lot of extra work for yourself by removing the doors. Is there some specific reason why they need to come off?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Originally Posted by NP993
No, it is the factory install. The glass is glued into the car with a urethane adhesive. Unless you need to remove the glass to fix rust, or in the case of the windshield because it is chipped/cracked/damaged, leave it alone. All you need to do is remove the outer (cosmetic) rubber gasket.

IMHO, you're making a lot of extra work for yourself by removing the doors. Is there some specific reason why they need to come off?

Agreed, what I understood from my body guy is that the outer seal is glued in as well. And not only to the glass but the frame. I understood that the outer seal is supposed to snap into the plastic perimeter of the glass. Am I off here? Unfortunately, I can't put my eyes on the car to verify. My hope is that once the old seal is off the inner plastic is still good shape.

About the doors, you may be right. I requested they be removed to insure that ANYTHING requiring attention is exposed. I live where it snows and there is residual salt on the road nearly year-round so I want have the security of knowing that my metal bits are protected. And YES I drive in the snow on occasion (you can see my snow tires in the pic). When we pulled the doors you could see that a previous paint touch up (previous owner) did not polish the inner parts of the door which you CAN see when you get in the car. Well, I CAN see it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it's glued in... my exploding rear window proved that. After the drive home, the only thing remaining of the window was the shards still attached to the window frame with the glue. The rest of the shards were in the backseat and then migrated to every nook they could find.

Good luck with it all, it's a big project for even an experienced body shop. Post pics of the progress.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, the outer seal pulls right up. It shouldn't be glued in.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Finally had a chance to drop by the shop and take a few in progress pics...
Attached Images      
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

cont...
Attached Images      
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

a few more...
Attached Images    
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Here is the rust associated w/ the rear windsheild (now completely cut out)
Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

in my honest opinion,
call your body guy and tell him NOT to paint.
You guys should remove the windscreens, if not, you have bubbles back very very soon.
I just removed both windshield and rear windscreen, I can send your body guy instructions how to....
unless it's too late

from your pictures, it looks like the person used a phosphate etch primer (beige is most commonly the brand PPG d831 I think)
he did not cut anything. He could not cut and weld and windscreen in.
from the pictures, you need to remove the windscreen 5 years ago, urgently.

some pictures here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...this-rust.html
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Originally Posted by geolab
in my honest opinion,
call your body guy and tell him NOT to paint.
You guys should remove the windscreens, if not, you have bubbles back very very soon.
I just removed both windshield and rear windscreen, I can send your body guy instructions how to....
unless it's too late

from your pictures, it looks like the person used an phosphate etch primer (beige is most commonly the brand PPG d831 I think)
he did not cut anything. He could not cut and weld and windscreen in.
from the pictures, you need to remove the windscreen 5 years ago, urgently.

some pictures here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...this-rust.html
Thanks for your post. I will talk to my guy about windscreens. BUT I know for certain that he cut out the metal because I saw the pics on his phone. He did not weld but glued the metal in.

PM me with your protocol?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

you sure this guy knows what he's doing, cause quite frankly it doesn't sound like it.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you sure this guy knows what he's doing, cause quite frankly it doesn't sound like it.
Elaborate?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I can't grasp why the front and rear windows have not been removed. It takes someone experienced in 993 window installation to do the install properly, and maybe he's not the guy for that procedure. In my case the inner seals were replaced as well as the outer ones. It is apparently a job that is easy to do wrong. They are glueing airplanes together now so maybe his technique is ok, but it is new to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

So we discussed glue vs weld... Apparently static and impact testing favors glue over weld (when done properly of course) depending on size of piece/contact area/cleanliness of surface etc.

Body guy is no joke, BTW. Does high end work and travels around the country training shops. Seen his work on friend's Mercedes. Did a terrific job. Not to say he can't make mistakes or that he is an 993 expert, but I do trust him and know he won't rush the job. I will definitely call and discuss any points you guys bring up.

Quick Reply: Need some paint advice!