993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear window seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
mikestash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window seal

Hey all - see attached pic. Over the last month, the car has been in the garage and besides a dead battery, the rear window seal has pulled away from the window.

Any recommendations on what to do and expected cost? Is there a DIY (I couldn't find anything by searching)?

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

New rear window external seal @ $45 + shipping from Sunset.

993.545.925.00 (for 94 build date cars)
993.545.225.02.M260 (for 95+)
Old 07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
mikestash
Racer

Matt - is there a diy? Thanks a ton. Would be interested if others have done this themselves.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I can't tell from the pic if the channel the seals pops into is still intact. If it is not, then it is a larger project... going from memory, this part is called the inner frame. If the frame still in good shape, the outer seal can be replaced relatively easily. On a 95 (xcept late 95) a bit easier since the 3rd brake light is not at the top of the rear window.

If the frame is toast and that corner is the only place there is trouble, you might consider a good silicone adhesive in that spot. Pull the seal down to that corner as best you can to gain some slack. Use masking tape to strap the seal down until silicone dries thoroughly.
Hope that helps!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

The lower corners are where the seals tend to be a problem due to water collection. Storage probably dried your seal out. As Mark mentioned, as long as the channel is in good shape, you can just remove the old seal and pop a new one in. It's a press fit/tongue-in-groove kinda thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
mikestash
Racer

Does this picture help?

The black rubber seal seems to be in very good shape. Its the white stuff underneath that seems to be pushing it up.

Quick questions
1) Is the black seal supposed to be water tight? Because it has never been water tight against the glass. Water has always collected there.
2) Please describe the channel seal better - anyone have a diagram?

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I've got a new seal in the box. PM if you are intersted.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
mikestash
Racer

pm sent
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
jhale
Pro

I had the exact same thing with mine and I added a tiny bit of silicone seal to the corner and it's been fine ever since. Make sure sure clean out the area really well if you decide to go this route.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikestash
Does this picture help?

The black rubber seal seems to be in very good shape. Its the white stuff underneath that seems to be pushing it up.

Quick questions
1) Is the black seal supposed to be water tight? Because it has never been water tight against the glass. Water has always collected there.
2) Please describe the channel seal better - anyone have a diagram?

Mike

Mike, it is hard to tell for sure but it looks like someone has been in there before.
It also looks like the frame is not doing so well in that corner. You can clean it and try an adhesive silicone to stick that edge down.

As Matt said, this is a common problem.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
tfm
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,
Hate to say this, but I've replaced several of these gaskets front and rear, this is a common trouble area and your second photo looks like you need to get into some serious windshield and/or bodyshop that has done glass work on a 993 Porsche. Do an advance search on 993 "replace windshield" ...ask the forum for a shop in your area. I don't know what that white stuff is but it looks like a botched repair job from here.
Best, Tom
Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 PM
mikestash
Racer

I took a closer look.

There are two seals.
1) There is a black plastic that goes around the window and is flush with the window. It has the female groove (he he) or channel on it so the flat seal (the one I am holding in the picture) can fit into it.
2) The black rubber seal has the tongue or the male piece on it. This is what I am holding back in the picture.

The female piece (#1) seems to be broken in the picture. There is a 2 inch piece stuck to the male piece (#2). #2 seems to be in good shape. In order to replace the channel, what do I have to do?

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Mike,

It looks like your vagina may be broken .
Old 07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Bad news Mike,
The plastic channels do appear to be broken. This part is bonded to the window. You can't order the part separately - it comes with the window itself. I bought the inner and outer seal, took my 95 to the local dealer preferred window repair place, and they told me this. They went ahead and replaced my outer seal but the plastic grooves are broken on three of the corners on mine. They used some super adhesive to bond the new outer seal into place and taped them down with some rubber blocks underneath for added pressure. After about two weeks the new seal pulled away from the top two corners again.

The best repair is to get a new rear window and outer seal (inner seal may or may not be okay - talk to the installer). You can talk to a Porsche window expert to see if they can codge something that really sticks but I will bet it will pull away again as mine did.

My experiment with the outer seal only cost me about $100 (seal plus labor) so it might be worth a shot if you don't want to spring for the window.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Dave
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

How about Mighty Putty...!

https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index.php

Sorry, have been staying up late recently.

Quick Reply: Rear window seal