993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone bought a kids car seat recently for your 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone bought a kids car seat recently for your 993

Has anyone bought a hybrid booster car seat for their 993 recently. I need to find one that fits. I have a new britax convertible - it fits ok. And I got a new britax hybrid booster hoping it would work, but the base is too big. I can still use it in the cayenne.

I do have the BK harness mounts for the tether. Just need a smaller base.

Thanks Jim

Last edited by jaholmes; 03-29-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM
marin77
Racer

Maxi Cosi Rodi XR booster seat
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

For the front or rear? If front seat, I currently have a Britax Frontier (alongside an airbag override switch). The Frontier is a tank and AFAIK is the only convertible/booster that enables use of a 5 pt harness until kid is reaches 85lbs.

And being in the front, it also doubles as a cupholder for me

Last edited by David in LA; 03-31-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

My local dealer had a couple of seats & booster on display, he told me a couple of them fit in the 993. But I didn't try.

The one I am using now, is a tight fit, & you got to have the passenger seat up a little for leg room.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The one I am using now, is a tight fit
Which one?

I use a Radian 65 or 80, forget which, with the BK in the back. 5pt with side impact head protection. The cab isn't such a great fit but I can cinch it down. My wife is under 5' tall though, so sliding the seat forward works.

I've also used a Starriser booster in a pinch. Fits great but isn't near the seat of the Radian.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been round and round on this with my 993's and 2 small daughters. Let me just say, if you want a rear child seat that will fit nice and snug all the way back (So you can actually have someone on the pass side without the seat all the way up) you need to have creative use of a heat gun and selective "trimming" and you will end up with a nice snug, safe (IMHO) car seat and a happy wife. Just sayin....not that I would ever alter a child seat.....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

So hypothetically, what would you trim and how would you theoretically use the heat gun for?!? Do you have any hypothetical pics?

Originally Posted by CarreraX
I have been round and round on this with my 993's and 2 small daughters. Let me just say, if you want a rear child seat that will fit nice and snug all the way back (So you can actually have someone on the pass side without the seat all the way up) you need to have creative use of a heat gun and selective "trimming" and you will end up with a nice snug, safe (IMHO) car seat and a happy wife. Just sayin....not that I would ever alter a child seat.....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Im on vacation in Florida so no pictures of anything I could have hypothetically done. Basically, take the seat covers off to bare plastic. Heat and trim until it fits nicely. Use a marker and look twice, cut once. Just keep an eye structurally as to what you can and cant cut. THe key is just to get it as far back as possible. Most of the trimming will be on the rear corneers. They are also on different angles on each side. If you take your time they will fit perfectly and look great when you put the covers back on. Mine are cheap fischer price boosters with the removable back. I have tried all the recaros and none of them seem to work in the back of a 993 well. I do have 2 recaros in both of my other cars though. Shoot me an email if you want my cell to talk about it.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best booster seat: Recaro Vivo.

Perfect fit (in coupe, don't know about cabriolet). No 'heat gunning' needed (or recommended). No affiliation etc.

Reuben
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vivo did not fit in my Coupe. I would love to see a picture of how you have it in there.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I did just get the frontier 85 sict and it is wide. The cup holders are what's holding it up.

The side impact does fit in the back seat the base doesn't.

This is going in the back for sure, but I like the idea of the cup holders to use in the front.

I will look at what it would take to get the cup holders off. There are mold points as a guide. This is a good seat because of the 5 pt has a pretty high weight limit.

I may take a trip to the baby store to see if others can be modified but I don't feel like going cheap is the best option. Recaro is on the shirt list.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

The recaro vivo is a booster only. I need the combo harness and booster like the pro series.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll let peeps know how the Radian fits in a coupe when I get it back mid-April.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM
boidranch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Ju...ndingMethod=rr

Harmony Juvenile - Cruz Backless Booster Car Seat, Black/Red

I got mine from Walmart. It was affordable ($17.50) and it fits nice and snug. The bottom is tapered so it fits in the well fairly decent.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:53 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I didn't bother trying to fit the Frontier in the back as the base is very large, and I also have the older non-SICT version which has a smaller back part. I have the Frontier in a GT3 seat and also using BK harness mounts so that the LATCH could be used.

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I did just get the frontier 85 sict and it is wide. The cup holders are what's holding it up.

The side impact does fit in the back seat the base doesn't.

This is going in the back for sure, but I like the idea of the cup holders to use in the front.

I will look at what it would take to get the cup holders off. There are mold points as a guide. This is a good seat because of the 5 pt has a pretty high weight limit.

I may take a trip to the baby store to see if others can be modified but I don't feel like going cheap is the best option. Recaro is on the shirt list.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought a kids car seat recently for your 993