Sponsored by:

Will removal of 3m film or stone guards ruin paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Will removal of 3m film or stone guards ruin paint

I have considered replacing my foggy stone guards and installing a 3m film on the front end.
Will there be a visible difference on the car after a polish and wax, i would imagine the areas covered by film are not going to react to the polish or wax as the paint would, also have heard a few people mention the removal of these items peeling off the paint when removed. Kind of defeats the purpose of the material if the paint is ruined when you want to replace it.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

It won't peel unless paint didn't cure before application.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my stone guards removed by my local body shop. Paint under the guards was in amazing shape--body shop took off all of the glue and polished the paint. The local "film" guy put the new ones (sourced from Porsche) on. Very nice difference
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I removed all of the clear bra material on my 993 some five years ago. It looked shabby and had been in place for many years.

I took my time and pulled the material slowly, and in line with the panel - not upwards. Gritted my teeth the entire time (3 hours), but no issues.

Andreas
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 549 Posts

Paint should be fine, in fact better than the rest of the car. You will have to polish the area around the protected area to match the shine before placing the new guard........

Hardest part of the job for me was getting the adhesive off the surface with multiple coats of adhesive remover after removing the guard's film - I also used an Orbital to polish the surface before new guard.....in my case the old guard was painted........I replaced with 3M Aeroguard clear film from Clearmask - $ 28.00 for a pair of pre-cut guards..........came out great...........
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Redblurr
Racer

use steam for removal.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

I used a 1400 watt hairdryer and peeled with wide spatula as I kept heating area about where I was peeling.....2 handed job.....
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
targa pho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I really like how your 3M Clearguard turned out. Where did you buy the pre-cut Clearguards?

Paul
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Removing the guards will not damage the paint unless the area has been repainted... then - maybe, maybe not. Laquer thinner works well for removing any left on adhesive and it won't harm your paint. Just put it on a clean soft rag, wipe off the adhesive with it and then wash w/soap & water.

FD Motorsports has a DIY on how to remove & install stoneguards on their website. They also sell some nice thick stoneguards.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

I don't want to seem arbitrary and certainly don't want to come across as "Mr. Know-it-all" but one of the last fluids I'd want near any paint on a vehicle of mine would be a) brake fluid and b) lacquer thinner. As for removing the adhesive and film, I've used a product that the vinyl sign makers use called Rapid-Tac and a flat knife-edge nylon scraper used by the windshield installers known as a "Pilkington scraper".
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM
william123
Instructor

Removed my last week. Passenger side took 2 hours (came off is small sections) but was like brand new when done. Driver side not so fortunate. Started at top and worked down. Got all the way to bottom 20% and swoosh...remaining film came off in single piece with paint attached. Used heat gun and HD Goof Off - worked like a charm until the very end:-( Good luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by targa pho
Wow, I really like how your 3M Clearguard turned out. Where did you buy the pre-cut Clearguards?

Paul
FD MOTORSPORTS SELLS THEM. TOP QUALITY.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I don't want to seem arbitrary and certainly don't want to come across as "Mr. Know-it-all" but one of the last fluids I'd want near any paint on a vehicle of mine would be a) brake fluid and b) lacquer thinner. As for removing the adhesive and film, I've used a product that the vinyl sign makers use called Rapid-Tac and a flat knife-edge nylon scraper used by the windshield installers known as a "Pilkington scraper".
What do you think most body shops use to remove overspray?
-- lacquer thinner.
Totally harmless on dry, cured paint. Within the limits of common sense, of course. That means clean it off after thoroughly after use.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

To targafo......

Precut Aeroguard 3M clear material bought from Clearmask for $ 28.00 a pair........they also have application kit with everything you need to apply except a hairdryer.........denatured alcohol and slip solution.....

I am very happy with product..........great price........

Quick Reply: Will removal of 3m film or stone guards ruin paint