Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Transmission Wevo/RS mount: To do or not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Transmission Wevo/RS mount: To do or not to do?

Car is in the shop getting the G50 transmission swapped from the cab to the coupe. I'm considering upgrading to probably the Wevo (cheaper than the RS), transmission mounts, probably the black as they are a little softer.

The car is dual use street track, wife and 5 year old sometimes in the car. The RS clutch, LWF, G50 together already sound rattly, which is fine, but I don't want it to get any worse. How bad is any noise/vibration with the Wevo black? Am I being silly if it is still on the street to consider this upgrade?

Thanks,
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JPS,

Are you referring to the transmission pillow mounts here:
http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...STransBeam.htm

or to their MOTOR mounts here:
http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...gineMounts.htm

Or am I missing something... I didn't know WEVO made trans mounts for our cars?
When I installed my "solid" engine mounts it added a little bit of noise to the cabin bt nothing compared to the solid transmission mounts. If you want a semi-solid transmission mount TurboKraft makes a nice one or I can make you one as well (similiar to TK product).
- Peter
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well now that's a good question, actually. I searched the archives and lots of the posts discussed both motor and trans mounts. I looked at the black/blue on Wevo's site, but yeah...um...no trans mounts.

So I guess the RS is the only option for the trans?

So now 2 Qs...is RS the only option, and is this too noisy for a fam, despite the track benefits?

Thanks,
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ANY NEW mount will be an improvement, even a stock type mount...however, you did say "dual use street track" so your 2 choices are in the right direction.

I did RS and at the time did notice a little more noise (I can't remember why I didn't go Wevo, unless the black softer pillows weren't avail at the time...). Due to the additional noise (a little worse for Bluetooth conversations), I even thought about getting stock mounts for a little while, but then just got used to it. Since you already have the LWF, you probably won't mind the bit extra of the "song of the 993"...

Now that I have a DAS roll bar bolted in, (I believe) the noise is even higher, probably due to attachment to the body and then brings all sorts of noise directly into the cabin. Using a Bluetooth is still possible, but definitely harder than before the bar. I mention this since the rollbar was definitely the bigger contributor than my motor mounts (to my ears).
Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

JPS,
You mentioned that you didn't want it to get any worse...
All of the above options will make it "worse" but to different degrees.
For engine mounts the options in order of most noise to least are:
Solid Mounts (Lindsey Racing, TurboKraft etc make these)
WEVO Blue
Wevo Black
Porsche RS Mounts
Stock Mounts
(please re-arrange if I screwed this up)

As far as transmission mounts you do not have a ton of options. There are the Turbokraft mounts I mentioned:
http://www.turbokraft.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=118
There are solid mounts available but I forget where... and then there are the RS and Stock versions of the transmission mounts.
If it were me I would go with the WEVO Blacks (you can always swap to blues later for $18) and the RS transmission mount as a intermediate step. The solid or semi-solid transmission mount specifically will cause more noise than the engine mounts by far. I have never used an RS mount so I can't say anything about them but I would imagine they will be a very good compromise.

Hope this helped!
- Peter
Old 03-22-2012, 02:19 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the hardest wevo engine mounts and it feels good. If there is NVH, it doesnt bother me at all

I would go for the blue ones.

Regarding transmission mounts, I installed solid mounts and quickly took them out. So be careful on the transmission mounts.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Car is in the shop getting the G50 transmission swapped from the cab to the coupe. I'm considering upgrading to probably the Wevo (cheaper than the RS), transmission mounts, probably the black as they are a little softer.

The car is dual use street track, wife and 5 year old sometimes in the car. The RS clutch, LWF, G50 together already sound rattly, which is fine, but I don't want it to get any worse. How bad is any noise/vibration with the Wevo black? Am I being silly if it is still on the street to consider this upgrade?

Thanks,
Wevo engine mounts are a great addition

for the transmount, I'd use the stiffer rubber RS piece 964.375.055.80 for any sort of street use, the GT2 evo part is 964.375.055.70 is going to be much more intrusive as are any of the aftermarket p/u bushes.

Mike you just put one in your car, How about a comment?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts

I have rs engine and motor mounts on my daily driver. And I. Have rs lwf. Awesome combo and not too loud of irritating. I love it, and I drive my 4yr old to school every day in it and all is good.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I did a lot of reading on this. There is a ton of information in the archives, but here is what I understand:

Motor Mount Options, in order of softest to harshest:
- Stock: softest option, transmits the least vibration, noise, shifting may be less precise
- RS: A little harder, more VN, better shifting.
- WEVO Black: replaceable bushings, cheaper in the long run, still more VN
- WEVO Blue: see above, a bit harsher
- Solid Motor Mounts

Rennline recommend re-enforcing the engine carrier with the WEVOs (although they have a vested interest as well, since the MAKE the re-enforcement brace). There are a lot of RLers that have WEVOS that did NOT re-enforce the carrier and are fine. Primarily, these are street cars. Track cars probably should go the extra and re-enforce the carrier.

Transmission mounts are a separate item, and from what I have read, it seems that most street cars leave them stock due to increased noise and vibration that is unacceptable.

The part that makes it confusing, in my opinion, is that everyone has a different tolerance for what is acceptable noise and vibration.

for most of the street cars, RS and WEVO Blacks are popular, there are a few Blue users as well, and many feel that due to the size of the bushings, there really cannot be a significant difference between blue and black. (it is also possible to mix blue and black, although I don't know that anyone here has documented that)

Most of the Track types are used to the noise and vibration and those people seem to have a higher tolerance to it.

I went with the WEVO Blacks as I got a good deal on them, although I have yet to install them, so I cannot comment. My car is a street car, so I do not plan on re- enforcing the engine carrier either.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a Wevo solid tranny mount over the winter, along with solid subframe mounts. NVH increases quite a bit with both. I like it that way and wouldn't go back.

I don't know which mod was most responsible for the increase.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Jeff,
I have a friend with stock trans mounts but solid subframe mounts and in his car I do not hear all the transmission and engine noises that i get in my car, so I am going to hedge on the trans mounts as the primary cause of NVH.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I already went with the Wevo engine mount for my 90% DE car. last event, I the 4th gear popped out under very hard breaking on a downshill section on the track. Do I need to address the tranny mount or is there another root cause? How difiicult is the tranny mount change? DIY?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

How difiicult is the tranny mount change? DIY?
Some other threads I read basically said not too bad if the tranny is out, YMMV but nearly impossible if it is still in.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

for the transmount, I'd use the stiffer rubber RS piece 964.375.055.80
Thanks, Bill. So Q is, is it $500 worth of improvement for DE?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

JPS,
Search for a thread called "Transmission Mount R&R without Dropping Tranny".
There is a tool floating around that works very well for this job and it's not all that bad.
Is an RS mount really $500?

Quick Reply: Transmission Wevo/RS mount: To do or not to do?