Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Transmission Wevo/RS mount: To do or not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

^^ Well, good Q.
There is this for $145: http://www.turbokraft.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=118
And this for $385: http://www.paragon-products.com/RS_T...375.055.80.htm

Is there a difference between the 2?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
^^ Well, good Q.
There is this for $145: http://www.turbokraft.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=118
And this for $385: http://www.paragon-products.com/RS_T...375.055.80.htm

Is there a difference between the 2?
YES.

The Turbo Kraft is an aluminum shell with a urethane bushing in the center. It is very well made but adds noise and vibration to the cabin. The shifter will be rock solid though so that is the positive side of the trade off. IMO it was too much for a street car. Mine is in Canadia now.

The RS is the same rubber centered mount as the original but with a firmer rubber center.

I went with stock instead of RS because the price difference didn't seem to add up to me for a little bit firmer rubber. The stock mount is around $215+ and will still be an improvement over the 15 to 18 year old rubber in the original.

The Turbo Kraft is the easiest to install, once you modify it.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Thanks, Bill. So Q is, is it $500 worth of improvement for DE?
No, but there are used ones that occasionally become available.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I use my car as a streetable track car that I drive several hours to events.
I had RS engine and transmission mounts as well as a LWF for several seasons. That set-up had some transmission gear rattle noise at idle in neutral. Not bad at all and very acceptable for a hot rod street car. I have no desire to talk on the phone or listen to the radio while driving so that was not a concern.
When I dyno'd the car I saw about a half inch of rotational movement (deflection of the mounts) at the exhaust tips when the engine was loaded.
This season I installed solid engine (Rennline) and transmission (Jerry Woods) mounts. This set-up has significantly more noise (mostly gear rattle) which radiates from the location of the transmission mount attachment to the chassis. At a constant highway speed the noise is not bad, but the gear rattle is significant when coasting. Almost all of the noise is coming from the transmission and with the clutch disengaged the rattle noise stops. I would not recommend this set-up for a nominal use street car if the expectation is a quite "radio listening" ride.
The good part is that during a full power run the transmission gear whine and noise is fantastic and there is a little additional engine sound radiated through the chassis. All good for a track car but a qualitative judgement for a street car.
I would not mix solid engine mounts with a flexible transmission mount as this will increase the stresses on the engine carrier because two attachment point are fixed and one can move around.
Mike
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I went with the RS tranny mount. Granted I only have 50 miles or so on it, but dayam...it is waaaay louder. I'm going to give it a few months to see if I get used to it, but I'm frankly afraid to have the family in there for fear they think it is just too loud. Granted, it is very track-like, which is sort of cool, but so far I find it distractingly noisy and not such a great balance for street.

I'm considering reverting back, but of course that ain't cheap!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ JPS, what is the long-term update - did you covert back, or did you get used to the RS trany mount?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Converted back. Conversation with the family was impossible on trips. Sounded glorious on the track.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you, Sir.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I read this and I must be either deaf or totally insensitive (been called both!!)

I have now "upgraded" two of my 993's from stock to RS mounts - and noticed absolutely nothing. Nada. Some people say its transforming, I did not notice any change in vibration, noise, shifting - it was solid before and remains solid now. The mounts I took out on both cars were in good shape. I did the first car because I had read it makes a significant difference. I did the second car because I thought I would give it another try. I am not doing the third car....

I have also done RS Mounts on quite a few other 993's, and no one has come back and said it's transformative. They tell me they notice subtle differences, but I am not convinced it's the brain justifying the cost.

This is just for the motor mounts, not the transmission end.

This is just my two cents. There is definitely a range of opinions here ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-06-2013, 12:59 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike J

I did the first car because I had read it makes a significant difference. I did the second car because I thought I would give it another try. I am not doing the third car....,

Mike
Mike .. what third car ?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frankv
Mike .. what third car ?
Shhhhhhh.

Well, IF i was going to get another one, THEN I would not replace them with RS mounts ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-06-2013, 03:52 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have also done RS Mounts on quite a few other 993's, and no one has come back and said it's transformative. They tell me they notice subtle differences, but I am not convinced it's the brain justifying the cost.

This is just for the motor mounts, not the transmission end.
Mike, the thread is about the transmission, not motor mount. ...A mistake that I beat you to, back in post #4.

(agree with you on RS motor mt, however)
Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kjr914
Mike, the thread is about the transmission, not motor mount. ...A mistake that I beat you to, back in post #4.

(agree with you on RS motor mt, however)
Only done one RS transmission mount, same results. The mounts for the C4 are much easier to change than the C2 though...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Only done one RS transmission mount, same results. The mounts for the C4 are much easier to change than the C2 though...
Can please elaborate? I assume this is with not dropping it. Any good tips and tricks? The job I us on my list.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you please elaborate? I assume this is with not dropping it. Any good tips and tricks? The job I us on my list.

Quick Reply: Transmission Wevo/RS mount: To do or not to do?