Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Oil Level Question with pics and vid

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Ziechen is describing the procedure I learned also.
EMB, the gauge reads the level in the tank, not the sump, I believe. They need to have a class for these cars like aircraft type ratings...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Never use the oil level gauge until the engine is warn, & you are at idle. Under normal driving it should be in the red or around the red. Then you stop for a light, it should move up, but how much depends on how hot the car is (of course oil level as well). If it goes up that high when just warm, you are overfilled, or your gauge needs to be calibrated.

I've shipped a couple of cars, they would never remove oil from a car. Plus they are all idiots, & can barley start up & move cars. Last car I shipped had a very well built motor, you had to let it run for at least 2min or it would fowl the plugs, I put a sticky on the steering wheel with instructions, & also included spare plugs & tools to change them (10min job). Car arrived & would not start, & they didn't have a clue why.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Ziechen is describing the procedure I learned also.
EMB, the gauge reads the level in the tank, not the sump, I believe. They need to have a class for these cars like aircraft type ratings...
they really do, this motor is a whole different breed than anything im familiar with. if the sump is on the outside, and the gauge is reading from the sump, why is it at zero when you initially start up?

Thank you Ziechen
Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 481 Posts

They need to have a class for these cars like aircraft type ratings...
What, your speedo doesn't have Vmc on it?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
they really do, this motor is a whole different breed than anything im familiar with. if the sump is on the outside, and the gauge is reading from the sump, why is it at zero when you initially start up?

Thank you Ziechen
My theory is, and it's just that, is that oil actually pools in the bottom of the crankcase when the car is parked. When it warms up, that oil is returned to the tank. There must me something else going on too, otherwise the level would come up right away, rather than waiting until the car is hot.
Short answer: I've no idea..
Btw, you JetBlue? Check out the 993 pilot thread.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What, your speedo doesn't have Vmc on it?
I think Va is more appropriate for me.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I think Va is more appropriate for me.
OK, so its not a Piper Twin Commanche.

Joke: What is the definition of the critical engine. The one that quits....when its the only one you've got.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

On my car, that would be way overfilled. With the temp guage at 8:30-9:00, my oil level just comes out of the red. If I put more in, it goes right out, back to that level.
+2
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

When it warms up, that oil is returned to the tank. There must me something else going on too, otherwise the level would come up right away, rather than waiting until the car is hot.
I haven't really delved into the lubrication system of our cars, other than finding out what the various pressure relief valves open at.

But I believe our oil pumps are really two oil pumps; one that provides oil pressure to the engine, and another that pumps oil from the sump up to the oil tank.

I believe that hot oil expands in volume which is why the oil level increases slightly.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Took out a few quarts of oil and the world is now a better place. Porsche did it all free o charge and even cleaned up the engine bay where the oil spilled over.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I use the dipstick. The oil gauges are not reliable.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the oil gauges. I can never see the oil on the dipstick.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

If I ever had reason to suspect a shipper drained oil-what reason on earth would there be for them to do that(?)-I'd have some serious conversation with the president of the company.

But, it sounds like the assumption, for whatever reason you came up with it, was unwarranted.

You said the Porsche dealer fixed it for free-are they the ones that over-filled it?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM
pcarhiway
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Oil Level Gauge

Cam,

Moreso than any other 993 I have either owned or driven, the oil level gauge in this car is very sensitive to how warm the engine is. It will not read correctly until the temperature gauge is at or slightly above the third mark.

As far as oil consumption goes it does exactly what is described in the owners manual. In town driving does not seem to show any oil consumption per se. However, during prolonged highway driving the engine will consume about 1 quart per 1500 miles.

Too bad you got thrown by the incorrect information about the shipping company possibly draining two quarts of oil, Poudre put in the correct amount and that is always the best starting point to monitor the oil level.

Bruce
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at picture #2. It is captioned "fully warmed up," but the oil temp gauge hasn't budged, and the level gauge is at mid-range. There's your problem: the car is not actually warmed up at that point, and as a result, the oil level gauge is not giving you a true reading. The car was not warmed up until picture #3, which is when you need to read the oil level gauge -- and it's off the scale high. The overflow out the filler pipe is consistent with what your gauges are telling you.

Quick Reply: Newbie Oil Level Question with pics and vid