993 Forum 1995-1998

Newbie Oil Level Question with pics and vid

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 388 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Newbie Oil Level Question with pics and vid

Having read another members thread about relying on the oil gauge, it concerned me that perhaps I'd better have a look at mine. When the car has warmed up and I drive off the gauge stays in the red area until I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear when it slowly starts to creep up. Is this normal?

Car arrived two weeks ago and we determined it required 2 quarts as the shipping company may have drained some. Anyway its been added however I get the feeling the shipping company may not have drained any and now its overfilled thus causing the smoking as seen in the video. I've taken a look and it appears the oil spilled over onto the right exhaust pipe so I'm not that worried and the spill over is isolated to the neck filler area and not the engine or rubber side to the left as noted in the picture below. However, my gauge is all over the place as captured in the following photos:

1. Turn on car and Warm up period gauges read:

2. Car fully warmed up on my driveway before I leave for a drive:

3. After a 5 min drive up to 4th gear sitting at the traffic lights:

4. After 10 more mins of spirited driving up to 5th gear and sitting at the gas station (level ground):

5. After pulling the dipstick I noticed the oil is right up to the top of where the spiral part of the rod ends (indicating full) however, while standing there I noticed that there's smoke billowing from the right passenger side and there's overfill or spill over near the oil cap area:

Video of smoking passenger side:

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

What does the dipstick indicate with the engine fully warmed up (after a 15+ minute drive) with the car idleing on a level surface for at least 30 seconds?

Does the dipstick indication match your oil level gauge indication?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I noticed that there's smoke billowing from the right passenger side and there's overfill or spill over near the oil cap area.
Chances are some of the spilled oil ran past the engine compartment rubber seal and dripped onto your heat exchangers. It only takes a few drops of oil to see some smoke.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my first oil change I overfilled it and my guage acted just as yours is. The dipstick showed very full, as well. I cant imagine how they could get only two quarts oil out for shipping purposes? My guess is very overfilled. Try sucking some out of the filler tube with a syphon or large syringe with a tube on it and see what it is like. That is what I did to take some out. Much less mess.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You have overfilled it. If your gauge shows a reading while the oil is that cold, it is too full. Ignore the gauge when driving, only look at it when on a flat surface idling.

Generally speaking, since there is so much oil in the system, you are better running a quart low than an overfill. I suggest filling to the halfway mark on the dipstick when the engine is very warm.

Turbos are much more sensitive to overfills - but similar rules apply.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks like its overfilled. With the car fully warmed on level ground, and the temp at least at second hash mark, I keep my oil level at about 3 oclock ( middle ). Your gauge is showing the needle passed the top mark. Better yet do what many others do and just forget the gauge and just use your dipstick.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Better yet do what many others do and just forget the gauge and just use your dipstick.
I do the opposite and use the gauge. Just used the stick method for the third time since I have owned the car and realize why I hate that method. On mine it is never easy to read.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

overfilled for sure.

what makes you think a shipping company would drain 2 quarts of oil from a car?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I do the opposite and use the gauge. Just used the stick method for the third time since I have owned the car and realize why I hate that method. On mine it is never easy to read.
+1, haven't used the dipstick in years.

Oil level, a long as its not overfilled or stupid low, is not really a big concern.

As long as the gauge reads something, there is really no need to add any oil.

If mine gets to the point where it doesn't come out of the red when stopped and hot, I'll just add half a quart and get on with my life.

It doesn't need to be down to the ml.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

On my car, that would be way overfilled. With the temp guage at 8:30-9:00, my oil level just comes out of the red. If I put more in, it goes right out, back to that level.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

my oil level goes to zero when driving.. you are definitely overfilled!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
+1, haven't used the dipstick in years.

Oil level, a long as its not overfilled or stupid low, is not really a big concern.

As long as the gauge reads something, there is really no need to add any oil.

If mine gets to the point where it doesn't come out of the red when stopped and hot, I'll just add half a quart and get on with my life.

It doesn't need to be down to the ml.
As Andreas always said even if you are a quart low there are still 10+ more in there!

Last edited by Cactus; 03-17-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 388 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm kicking myself for not doing the check myself! I knew it was overfilled!

Shop that changed the battery said my oil was low but stupid me the car hadn't been run yet so how would one get an accurate reading.

Glad I asked guys! Many thanks and I'll take care of this tomorrow.

Cam
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can someone explain the oil level gauge.
please correct me.

Car is cold, engine is sump is dry. oil level reads 'zero'. restrict revs to 3500.

once the car warms up, the thermostat opens, oil comes into the engine sump, and as long the car is warmed up, and level, the oil gauge will creep up indicating 50% or so. okay to rev.

the car is only warm and fully ready when the oil temp is warmed up, and oil level has moved up.

am i correct?
forgive my newbness.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
can someone explain the oil level gauge.
please correct me.

Car is cold, engine is sump is dry. oil level reads 'zero'. restrict revs to 3500.

once the car warms up, the thermostat opens, oil comes into the engine sump, and as long the car is warmed up, and level, the oil gauge will creep up indicating 50% or so. okay to rev.

the car is only warm and fully ready when the oil temp is warmed up, and oil level has moved up.

am i correct?
forgive my newbness.
Pilot - the dry sump will always have some oil and it starts circulating through the system (and the sump) as soon as the engine starts. There are many schools of thought on how to treat the engine until it's warmed up. I follow this process:

1. Start car (cold)
2. Drive off immediately with gentle throttle inputs and keeping revs below 3-3.5k
3. Once oil temp reaches the third (below 9 o'clock) mark the oil will start flowing to the front oil cooler and you will notice the needle dropping immediately.
4. Now you get to drive like you stole it (as Prof. Porsche used to say, "Jubeln muss er!" - translates roughly to "The engine must rejoice!")

I worked for Porsche in Germany during the 964 era and that's how all the development engineers and Weissach types I ever asked stated as proper procedure.

The oil level gauge is only useful when the oil is fully warmed up and the engine idling for at least 30 seconds on a level surface. I usually use the "9 and 3" method - imagine the oil level and oil temp gauges as a combined dial: oil temp indicates 9 o'clock and oil level indicates 3 o'clock. That should keep your engine happy. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Zeichen 282; 03-16-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: clarity (hopefully)

Quick Reply: Newbie Oil Level Question with pics and vid