Sponsored by:

Exhaust choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I know that. I already had the other three M6 x 55 bolts removed.

Well you would have to drill it out if you had a ham fisted and impatient wrench working on it.

Yup, and that is exactly what the case was. And you couldn't get any rotational movement without snapping the head off. That would have been a class act. Seized as in 100 blows to the bottom of the bolt barely got the bolt to even budge.

Anyway, I'm not the first person to encounter one that seized. Andreas came across one as well.
ah, I see... You knew that. My apologies. I didn't intend to insult anyone.

seized yes, I said that is common.
particularly in certain climates, areas that use salt.
it can be a challenge, yes
4 hrs?
ok.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I love best about my Fister Stage II's is that they match my mood. They provide a nice snarl at idle, perfectly quiet on the highway for long trips..............but when you feel like jumping on it.......holy crap......it sounds incredible !
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
seized yes, I said that is common.
particularly in certain climates, areas that use salt.
No salt as the other three just came out of the clearance holes in the control arm.

Thats a common form of seizure when working with steel and aluminium. That white powdery stuff...aluminium oxide???

Originally Posted by MarkD
it can be a challenge, yes
4 hrs?
ok.
You can't use heat either, not unless you want to melt the deflector which I saved.

About that amount of time. I call shop time therapy. Quality work takes time and care.

That won't be happening again. The shanks of the bolts are well greased.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I guess the bolts never seized in place in your control arm. Butchers would break them off and hope to drill them out straight. I got mine out without buggering up my control arms. That takes ingenuity and patience. Now you know why I don't take my car to a shop. That was one bolt, by the way.
To take 4 hours on just the one bolt, it must've been pretty bad.

I guess I was fortunate that I had no galvanic corrosion going on in my car. Charmed life in San Diego County, I suppose.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

To the OP'er, Removing and replacing the mufflers is not too bad at all. Do yourself a favor, hit the 6 sets of bolts / nuts (2 per muffler clamping the tips and muffler inlets, 1 per muffler on the strap wrapping around it) liberally with Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster the night before you work on it. Also plan on a trip to the local hardware store after removal to buy stainless steel replacement bolts for everything, make sure you buy allen head bolts like came off for the straps, you'll understand why when you reinstall. Getting the exhaust tips aligned correctly goes easier if you snug their clamp bolts up but don't completely tighten them, that way you can still move them about until they look right to you.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
RSR are a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Maxflo's are about a 5, Supercups are about an 8.5.....and if you want louder, you need to swap out your cats.
This is the best description of all re the RSR's. They are the logical step if you want to go one 'jump' up from the stock exhaust sound. IMO the stock exhaust sounds like a Honda Accord idling.

Last edited by mike cap; 03-16-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by william123
I'm in Maryland. - between Balt and DC. Hope to get some pics up this weekend. She heads to TPC next week for suspension, clutch, exhaust, major service, and other odds and ends. Also waiting on Pelican delivery of fresh lenses, fender films and other goodies. Thanks again for the feedback. Bill
TPC? You're in my 'hood. If I'd seen this thread sooner, I would let you listen to my Stage IIIs before deciding. Either way, you'll love it, II or III!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:10 AM
william123
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=P-daddy;9367460]TPC? You're in my 'hood. If I'd seen this thread sooner, I would let you listen to my Stage IIIs before deciding. Either way, you'll love it, II or III! [/

Thanks for the offer. I actually live in Woodbine however have a relationship with TPC through a family member.

Who's your local Indy? I'm also looking for a good paint / body shop - any recommendations?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If RSR's are a 2/10 would stage II's be a 4/10 ?
Just trying to get some perspective....
Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm in Elkridge/Columbia area. I have used Atspeed several times....no complaint. Prices seem to be on par with TPC. Check your other thread. Myself and a few others responded with some body shop recommendations.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Spidey 993

I have a set of RSR mufflers I plan on selling. I got them on the cheap, so I will sell them on the cheap. $350 plus shipping if anyone interested. They are Bischcoff

I realized I'm 100% Stage 3 guy and don't plan on installing these. I have a few things to sell, so I will do a for sale thread this weekend

Last edited by Spidey 993; 03-17-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Thanks Ed!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
They are Bichette.
Was that the crossover period between Bischoff and Gillette?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Spidey 993

LOL, I was going to change my original post, and will, but yes rare 1 of 1 from the factory. Half a ring..incredible.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Was that the crossover period between Bischoff and Gillette?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
RSR are a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Maxflo's are about a 5, Supercups are about an 8.5.....and if you want louder, you need to swap out your cats.
Where do the Fisters fit into this?

Quick Reply: Exhaust choices