993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 06:19 PM
993 770
Pro

Bought my car with B&B headers and exhaust already installed. Too loud at idle for my taste (and my wife!), but they sound great at 3k+ Ive never heard the stock exhaust on a TT, but it just seems like to much trouble to change them out.

If it aint broke...
Old 03-15-2012 | 06:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Thats because you're inside a quality car with good sound proofing.

I wasn't anywhere on the throttle and I thought I was coming up the road quietly, yet my friend heard me coming up the street from a good distance away. Step on it WOT to short of red line and they are loud.
I've driven next to my 993, and again, they weren't loud. You can hear a bit of a growl, but they certainly are on the low end of the spectrum in muffler noise.

My Motorsound airbox is louder, IMO.
Old 03-15-2012 | 06:28 PM
David993S
Drifting

Thats because you're inside a quality car with good sound proofing.

I wasn't anywhere on the throttle and I thought I was coming up the road quietly, yet my friend heard me coming up the street from a good distance away. Step on it WOT to short of red line and they are loud.
I've not only steped on it (having owned the car for 13 years now), but have heard it from the outside with someone else driving. Sorry, just not that impressed with the RSR's in comparison to FD II's. But it's all subjective, right?

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2012 | 07:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David993S
I've not only steped on it (having owned the car for 13 years now), but have heard it from the outside with someone else driving. Sorry, just not that impressed with the RSR's in comparison to FD II's. But it's all subjective, right?

Cheers.
That really is the point-the RSR muffs are only a subtle move up from stock-definitely quieter than F II's.
Old 03-15-2012 | 07:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David993S
Sorry, just not that impressed with the RSR's in comparison to FD II's. But it's all subjective, right?

Cheers.
Absolutely, which is why I'm installing stock mufflers. I like the mechanical sound of an air-cooled Porsche engine.

I've come from loud motorcycle pipes in my past that would make Fister IIIs sound lame. I like quiet now.
Old 03-15-2012 | 07:39 PM
Spidey 993

Alex, your about the only person I know who believes RSR, or Stage II are loud.
Old 03-15-2012 | 08:20 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

RSR are a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Maxflo's are about a 5, Supercups are about an 8.5.....and if you want louder, you need to swap out your cats.
Old 03-15-2012 | 08:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
He's also the only one who would take 4 hours to remove the bolts holding the brake cooling deflectors on....
Old 03-15-2012 | 08:59 PM
Van1
Drifting

I have RSRs and don't find them that loud at all. A couple of notches up from my Motor Sound muffs.

What I like about the RSRs is that they are some of the lightest cans out there. Lighter than any of the Fisters according to the data they have provided on Rennlist.
Old 03-15-2012 | 09:13 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

No one talks much anymore about the original Fister LPMMs (Fister I) but I have them as many others here do and love them. Very natural sounding for an air-cooled Porsche and plenty loud enough. With the motorsound mod on the airbox and wide ovals they seem perfect and natural to my ear......and, yes, Darin still does them.
Old 03-15-2012 | 09:25 PM
Spidey 993

I have heard (via sound clip) the LPMM on Cactus ride I believe. Yes, very natural sounding and I enjoyed those too. Yep, another Fister masterpiece.
Old 03-15-2012 | 09:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
They're loud enough if you don't want to listen to noise. Been there, done that and if I remember, my hand bent full race Yoshima pipes put out 109 dB. I also remember what they sounded like 2+ hours into a ride . Now I do 1000 miles days on my stock BMW motorcycle and still feel human the next day.

I'm hoping for that 911 sound in the opening scene of LeMans. Nice!
Old 03-15-2012 | 09:33 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
He's also the only one who would take 4 hours to remove the bolts holding the brake cooling deflectors on....
I guess the bolts never seized in place in your control arm. Butchers would break them off and hope to drill them out straight. I got mine out without buggering up my control arms. That takes ingenuity and patience. Now you know why I don't take my car to a shop. That was one bolt, by the way.
Old 03-15-2012 | 09:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I guess the bolts never seized in place in your control arm. Butchers would break them off and hope to drill them out straight. I got mine out without buggering up my control arms. That takes ingenuity and patience. Now you know why I don't take my car to a shop. That was one bolt, by the way.
I respectfully offer a correction...

A 993-savvy shop would know that the bolt is not threaded into the control arm. The bolt simply passes through (or at least should).
No need to drill anything out, simply tap the old bolt out, replace the already corroded HW and clean up the arm.

It is common for corrosion build up to hold that bolt in place though. It can be deceiving.
Old 03-15-2012 | 10:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
A 993-savvy shop would know that the bolt is not threaded into the control arm. The bolt simply passes through (or at least should).
I know that. I already had the other three M6 x 55 bolts removed.

No need to drill anything out, simply replace the already corroded HW and clean up the arm.
Well you would have to drill it out if you had a ham fisted and impatient wrench working on it.

It is common for corrosion build up to hold that bolt in place though.
Yup, and that is exactly what the case was. And you couldn't get any rotational movement without snapping the head off. That would have been a class act. Seized as in 100 blows to the bottom of the bolt barely got the bolt to even budge.

Anyway, I'm not the first person to encounter one that seized. Andreas came across one as well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust choices