Clutch & Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch & Flywheel

Gents,

A few questions. I have noticed some "slip" in the RPMs on my 42000 mile C4S on the really hard/fast 1-2 shift. The tran. just doesn't seem to grab like it should. I have discussed this with some respected Porsche people who seem to think this may be an ominous sign for my dual mass flywheel. Have noticed no other issues. Clutch pedal itself feels firm but ok.

Next question would be with regards to the possible upgrade to a LWF and RS clutch. I have read lots on this topic in the forum but need to get a better handle on the idle and downshift noise. I have read everything to "hardly noticeable" to "sounds like the engine is about to explode." So what gives?

My car is primarily weekend backroad street use. Doubt more then 1 track day per year. Live in a hilly hood.

Current labor cost for this job from my indie is $1620 (with engine drop). Thoughts on this estimate?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not so sure i'd blame the dual mass flywheel... a slipping clutch sounds like a worn or greasy clutch disk. If you should CHOOSE to go to a LWF that would be a nice upgrade (with some possible issues) but probably not required at this time. I still have my dual mass flywheel, so I can't speak to the issues with the LWF. I happen to have a LWF and a complete clutch kit in a box, and may get around to installing it if the engine ever has to come out. I seriously doubt I'll ever need to replace my clutch due to wear.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the nice things about living in Portland is Steve Warner's shop is in Portland.
Here is his website. http://rennsportsystems.com/
When it comes time for serious engine work, I think I will try my best to get the car to Steve.
--Joe
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
One of the nice things about living in Portland is Steve Weiner's shop is in Portland.
Here is his website. http://rennsportsystems.com/
When it comes time for serious engine work, I think I will try my best to get the car to Steve.
--Joe
+1 And I corrected Steves last name in the quote above. He has been a HUGE help to me over the years. Also, the engine doesnt need to be dropped to do a clutch. That said, I had a LWF on my last 993 and am going to do my current 993 in a few weeks. After you have one you will hate the dual mass FW. The "Hang time" with revs when shifting is annoying when used to the LWF. Much different.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
G$ 993
Instructor

Thanks guys. I have consulted with Steve on several occasions and received excellent advice. Still felt like asking the forum on opinions as this is an expensive decision. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the general consensus on the flywheel's lifetime is approximately 100K miles but they can certainly go before that. From your symptoms it sounds more like the clutch disc is going.

If the engine is being dropped your price is in the reasonable range. If they do it without dropping (but that is a real PITA) it should be less.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the Andial Mid weight FW and you will have no issues with stalling. Book time on a four wheel drive 993 clutch job is 16 hours. It should be able to be done in half that time by a capable Porsche mechanic. The noise is increased by the installation of solid/RS engine and tranny mounts. I have stock engine mounts and RS transmission mount with the MWF. The chatter is not intrusive and I use the car as a daily driver.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the LWF and RS clutch in my '97 C2. I happen to like it the way it drives, and have gotten used to the noise.
I'm not sure how 'hilly your hood" is, but be aware that the LWF/RS combo is like an on-off switch. It is not very forgiving, and getting started uphill from a dead stop can be quite a tap-dancing act. I even use my handbrake sometimes.
but, if I ever do have to replace my clutch, I'll stay with the LWF/RS setup.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
philchil
Instructor

+1

Just got mine (see signature for recent enhancements)...transforms the car...get a chip and a good tune....very smooth...no issues concerning drivability.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by 3healey
I'm not sure how 'hilly your hood" is, but be aware that the LWF/RS combo is like an on-off switch. It is not very forgiving, and getting started uphill from a dead stop can be quite a tap-dancing act.

Hmm, I don't know if I agree with this. I had read it to be the case and was totally surprised when it turned out to not be the case at all. I even managed to install it while we had snow on the ground, no issues spinning the tires or anything. Also driving in Seattle isn't a problem either, and it gets pretty steep here...

Have you gone through your pedal cluster? Changed the hydraulics out? I replaced everything while I was in there, and it made a huge improvement in pedal feel and overall smoothness.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Buy the Andial Mid weight FW and you will have no issues with stalling.
He has a '98, no issues with stalling... (put the extra $500 towards something else.)

I have the MWF, and I still find it challenging to work sometimes. Full rebuild of the pedal cluster, hydraulics, kinematic lever and all the while-you're-in-there's that I could come up with. I just switched back to a stock chip and it actually seems more consistent, and as a result, easier.

As for hilly hoods I generally don't have any trouble, maybe it's the extra dose of concentration... but I can cover both the throttle and brake pedals concurrently easily enough with my right shoe that I don't need to slip it, roll back or use the handbrake.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:39 AM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I have the MWF, and I still find it challenging to work sometimes. Full rebuild of the pedal cluster, hydraulics, kinematic lever and all the while-you're-in-there's that I could come up with.

Interesting; what brake fluid do you run? I wonder if that has something to do with it. Your clutch doesn't feel as smooth as mine, but I didn't know you had replaced everything! I use ATE TYP200 (amber Super Blue)..
Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisB
Interesting; what brake fluid do you run? I wonder if that has something to do with it. Your clutch doesn't feel as smooth as mine, but I didn't know you had replaced everything! I use ATE TYP200 (amber Super Blue)..

Same fluid.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 AM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by mongrelcat

Same fluid.

Hmm..maybe the clutch fork bearings? :-/ I guess everything in there is new on my car too..
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 AM
G$ 993
Instructor

Some nice reassuring posts. Seems to be some inconsistency in the drivability results with this set up. I live in a steep hillside hood with angles of accent similar to what TravisB has posted above. Nice pic by the way. I know that street.

Feel like perhaps I'm over thinking this.

Quick Reply: Clutch & Flywheel