Sponsored by:

Help a newbie avoid any costly errors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help a newbie avoid any costly errors

Chris' 96 C4S paid for and soon to be shipped to Ohio. This is not my first sports car, but it is my first Porsche. General rules would be appreciated as far as warm up procedures and certain things to do/avoid before putting her away for the night. (Someone recommended finishing with a few sharp accels right before shutting off to blow any "water" to help avoid rust accumulation.

I don't really know and was unsuccessful with the search function.

Thanks. Brian
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman
Chris' 96 C4S paid for and soon to be shipped to Ohio. This is not my first sports car, but it is my first Porsche. General rules would be appreciated as far as warm up procedures and certain things to do/avoid before putting her away for the night. (Someone recommended finishing with a few sharp accels right before shutting off to blow any "water" to help avoid rust accumulation.

I don't really know and was unsuccessful with the search function.

Thanks. Brian
Well I can answer your warm up questions. Don't let car idle to warm up. Turn key and immediately start driving and keep the rpm's under 4k until the oil temp reaches 8 o'clock on the temp gauge. Then you can start driving and shifting normal. Try to minimize short trips as the oil won't get up to temp and burn off any moisture, and some say it is bad for the valve guides. As far as when you are done with a long drive and because I am crazy I checked the oil almost after every time I used it. If I wasnt checking the oil I let the car sit and idle for about 30 seconds before I shut it down. (Not sure if that does anything I just like to do it.) I also used to raise the engine lid to get rid of the engine heat faster.

Keep searching you will find all of your answers here, and whatever you don't if I know the answer I will help you.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Hmmm. Here we go... I've heard to keep it below 3000 (preferably below 2500) until the temp gauge reaches the second tick mark (122°F). After this you can let it out a little bit, but try to stay below 5000. Once the temp gauge passes the third tick mark (194°F), start watching it. It will go up a little bit more, then it will go down a little bit. This is when the thermostat opens and the oil flows up to the oil cooler. The cold oil in the lines bring down the temperature a bit. After the temp reaches the third tick mark again feel free to go WOT to redline. THIS is what I've heard.

I'm sure there will be others chiming in with slightly different rules. Just take a survey and do what makes sense to you.

This is stolen from Robin's site. Thanks Robin!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

I guess it depends on what you consider the 2nd tick mark. If you count the off tick mark that would change it up a little. I stay less than 4k (more closely to 3-3.5k on the tach actually) until the temp gauge reaches the 194 degree tick mark. Once the oil temp gets up to 194 degrees I just keep an eye on it occasionally . I am sure everyone has different opinions but I think we can all probably agree that we shouldn't let the cars idle to warm up, and keep the rpm's low until the oil heats up.

Brian, also do not go by the oil level gauge for a definitive oil measurement. Use the dipstick. My car hasn't burned any oil keeping the oil around 2/3 up the twisty part of the dipstick. I overfilled my first 993 and it quickly burns down to the sweet spot that it likes. I have found on the C4S that 2/3 is probably it's sweet spot.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
As far as when you are done with a long drive and because I am crazy I checked the oil almost after every time I used it. If I wasnt checking the oil I let the car sit and idle for about 30 seconds before I shut it down. (Not sure if that does anything I just like to do it.) I also used to raise the engine lid to get rid of the engine heat faster.
Same here
Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

So short trips are BAD? thanks a lot! I just took one of my babies out to come drink some coffee with the wifey and Starbucks is a short trip
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Opo
So short trips are BAD? thanks a lot! I just took one of my babies out to come drink some coffee with the wifey and Starbucks is a short trip
If anyone says they never took their air cooled 911 for a short drive they are lying. We all do it, but it is better to keep them at a minimum. Basically if you work 1 mile away from home (which I do) it would be a bad idea to take my car to work everyday (unless I take a super long drive on the way in which I do occasionally). Not saying an occasional trip to the store is gonna kill the engine. Just a better idea to not do it 5 times a day. Start then stop and oil never got a chance to ever heat up. Rudy, you have plenty of 993's too choose from anyways you can afford to take them on short trips just use a different one everyday
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
I guess it depends on what you consider the 2nd tick mark.
I included a picture for reference at the bottom of my post. I just always find the hours of the clock references a little vague.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Not posting pictures here upon receipt is a cardinal sin and one of the more "costly" mistakes one can make.

I try to minimize short trips, as much as possible, and certainly don't wind it up until the oil is at operating temp.

OTOH, just hanging out here can BECOME costly in and of itself.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
spikej
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Why is it bad to warm up the car by idling? Would revving it (below 3k rpm) to warm up be ok then?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically spike, there are two schools of thought on how to drive an air-cooled porsche. one side, says get in, treat it nice until it warms up then hammer it. Other school says get in, fire it up, and drive it like you stole it.

The basics come down to the oil you are using on this topic. If you use a good synthetic oil, then fire and drive is acceptable. Enough of the oil molecules will stick between the piston and the cylinder to provide adequate lubrication. Another advantage to the fire and drive is that the Porsche motor will throw more oil into the mix with high rpm's....to the original poster....the only General rule to use regarding your upcoming purchase to remember that no one ever dies with their foot on the accelerator.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Brian, also do not go by the oil level gauge for a definitive oil measurement. Use the dipstick. My car hasn't burned any oil keeping the oil around 2/3 up the twisty part of the dipstick. I overfilled my first 993 and it quickly burns down to the sweet spot that it likes. I have found on the C4S that 2/3 is probably it's sweet spot. "

--Thanks Chris. I watched that thread very closely.

"....to the original poster....the only General rule to use regarding your upcoming purchase to remember that no one ever dies with their foot on the accelerator. "

--Here, here. Words I will do my best to live by. Of course, if you needed to lift in the first place, you entered the turn too fast. From what I have read, slower entry (compared to a 50/50 weight balance) and hammer the accelerator when you can see daylight on the exit. Some fun stuff to carefully explore when I get my car.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
basically spike, there are two schools of thought on how to drive an air-cooled porsche. one side, says get in, treat it nice until it warms up then hammer it. Other school says get in, fire it up, and drive it like you stole it.

The basics come down to the oil you are using on this topic. If you use a good synthetic oil, then fire and drive is acceptable. Enough of the oil molecules will stick between the piston and the cylinder to provide adequate lubrication. Another advantage to the fire and drive is that the Porsche motor will throw more oil into the mix with high rpm's....to the original poster....the only General rule to use regarding your upcoming purchase to remember that no one ever dies with their foot on the accelerator.
No.

No one suggests you should get in, fire it up, and drive it like you stole it. That is a surefire way to damage your engine.

Really the only school of thought should be.

1. Get in, start up
2. Let idle until the revs drop to 1k rpm or below (about 20 seconds)
3. Drive gently (i.e. no heavy load or above say 3500) until the oil gets at least to the 160-180 degree range.
4. Once oil reaches 194 and stays in that area (i.e. oil cooler thermostat opened), drive it however you want.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Im looking forward to seeing this car when you get it! Please drive it up! when do you get it?

Quick Reply: Help a newbie avoid any costly errors