Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - Anyone here own/drive 135i TT ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default OT - Anyone here own/drive 135i TT ?

Back in '10 when my father turned 94 he purchased a new 135i 305hp TT with the sport package. It was his last hurrah. Yes, 94. He flew B29's in WWII and still likes to fly on the highway but his "hotrodding" days are done. He is no longer able to drive and the car is mine. I've spent the last week putting about 500 miles on it down in Texas. It is about to be shipped up here to MA for me to do something with. It has 10K miles on it now.

While I like the car, I really don't need or want another sports car.

I don't drive the 993 as much as I'd like to. and there are lots of toys already in the toy box.

So my dilemma is what to do with it?

It is registered and insured for the next few months, so I figure I'll drive it a bit more then try to figure out what to do with it. I'm not available on weekends for autox or track days. Keeping it would mean my DD would be parked outside, and in the northeast here, that sort of defeats the purpose of having a garage with all the lousy weather we get. I could trade it for something else, but I've don't need anything else.

Is this car worth keeping? It was dad's last car . . . .

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited by Cemoto; 03-29-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: rephrase
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds to me like you have a special dad. In my book thats the real value of the car. Save it for the grand children.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Spidey 993

Al,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. He sounds like a man who really enjoyed his hobbies. Great for him.

Doesn't sound like the car is very practical for you life right now. I would recommend selling it, but only when you're ready. That could be week, month, year...when that time is right.

Its a great car. Please don't tell me it's red.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Default Silver

Silver
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Tony, things are good, practicality
is not that important.

Saving it for my son is a good idea. He's not ready for it yet, but he will be in a few years. I had thought about giving it to him now, but quickly dismissed that thought. So keeping it for him makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Al, a close friend of my autocrosses her 135 and a few other in Boston Chapter do. It's a pretty competitive car, although turbo is not ideal for autocrossing. As a street car it's a bit too small for my taste and visibility is not great especially around A-pillars. But it's a fine car otherwise and the engine is very good on the street.

If your son can have the car when he's had some driving experience (well, you can make him autocross and learn in it one weekend at a time starting now), I think it would be a great memory for him and the whole family.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Spidey 993

Sounds like a great plan and honor to your father's memory.

My father did the same with my grandma's car to me. It wasn't a sweet 135iTT but I was honored to drive her car nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Tony, things are good, practicality
is not that important.

Saving it for my son is a good idea. He's not ready for it yet, but he will be in a few years. I had thought about giving it to him now, but quickly dismissed that thought. So keeping it for him makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

94 and still driving a car with a bit of poke!!

Well done dad....if you don't need the money or space and your sons in to his cars..keep it
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

That's the other side of the coin, my son is not really interested in things mechanical. He hasn't ridden his dirt bike in 8 years and there are 600 acres behind us where we can ride w/o hassle. He'd rather be backcountry snowboarding or trashing his mountain bike, or golfing. Great kid, he just dosen't share my affinity for high rpm.

He likes to ride in the P car, but never has expressed an interest in driving it or any of my MX bikes.

I sort of think it may be wasted on him.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

don't discount the fact that autocross can be a massive adrenelin producing sport...he's obviously an adrenelin junkie considering he likes backcountry snowboarding and mtn biking.

Might be worth a couple of weekend's with him...you never know, might fan the flame.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Default VERDICT IS IN -

It's a keeper. :-)

I get a good laugh everytime I think of dad walking in the dealer and buying it. Kind of like that feeling, hope I'm ballsy enough to do that when I'm 94, if I'm still around.

If you ever get a chance to drive one of these do it. It is very quick and nimble. You feel like you can thread a needle.

The OEM runflat tires suck.

Mike is right about the 'A' post and mirrors being pronouncedly in the field of vision. Other than that a great car, so far.

Regards,

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone here own/drive 135i TT ?