Sponsored by:

World's most expensive 993 wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
HT993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I have no doubt your car looked great after!

What was the condition before you dropped it off? Was the paint really scratched & swirled? Does he wet sand every car?

36 hours seems more on par with what it should take to do a very through detail. Even for this level he should have removed more from the car. hopefully he taped the lens & badges so they didn't get any sandpaper marks. Around here that level of detail would be $1800-2600.

I'll do a RL group discount, 3 RL'er cars for $7000!!
Yeah, the car looked awesome afterwards :-) I figured that 15+ years after she came off the production line, it was time for a little refresh of the exterior paintwork, and I wanted to trust the work to a real expert. He was highly recommended - and a sponsor - on one of the UK Porsche forums, and rightly so. He's a great guy, very conscientious, hard-working, and customer-focused. The cost was less than $1,000 (from memory, less than $50/hour), which is nothing compared to what I've paid for servicing and modifications over the years.

He doesn't wet sand every car, each treatment depends upon the initial diagnosis and the customer's wishes, of course. In my case, the paintwork had just a few scratches, but the swirling was really quite bad, particularly as it's solid black.

It was funny the way the story broke in the media on the day that I'd dropped off the car... and obviously there was some journalistic license used in implying that every car wash costs GBP 7,000, that's crazy money ;-)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $7000, I would seriously consider a top notch re-spray?
For $1000 sounds like a good move. My car is black and has swirls I would love to see removed.

I am usually pretty willing to pay extra for someone who really knows his business. Often Detailers are just guys who wash cars.

--Joe

BTW, now you are obligated to post pictures. Because

THIS

Last edited by Floodj; 02-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

THREAD
Old 02-25-2012, 03:50 AM
James Hunt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS
Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

USELESS
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

SANS
Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PITCHERS

Last edited by Arena993; 12-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM
HT993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, i only have an iPhone photo taken a few hours before he finished, but here you go... and yes, the windscreen was cleaned later ;-)
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the word.. TWITT, does come to mind.. 3-4 weeks of polishing.. 60-70 hours of work. Couldn't he build a new car in that time? 5 stage polish... wow...

This is proof that those with money, and very little clue, will always be discovered by those that are more then willing to get them to part with it...
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nah, I get the sickness. I have spent big money on a detail before. And would do it again. Brought the car to absolute baseline perfection and worth every penny. But my advice to OP, next time you spend this kind of money, insist that part of the package is a full collection of digital pictures of the detailing and the finished product when he/she is done.
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by HT993
Yeah, the car looked awesome afterwards :-) I figured that 15+ years after she came off the production line, it was time for a little refresh of the exterior paintwork, and I wanted to trust the work to a real expert. He was highly recommended - and a sponsor - on one of the UK Porsche forums, and rightly so. He's a great guy, very conscientious, hard-working, and customer-focused. The cost was less than $1,000 (from memory, less than $50/hour), which is nothing compared to what I've paid for servicing and modifications over the years.

He doesn't wet sand every car, each treatment depends upon the initial diagnosis and the customer's wishes, of course. In my case, the paintwork had just a few scratches, but the swirling was really quite bad, particularly as it's solid black.

It was funny the way the story broke in the media on the day that I'd dropped off the car... and obviously there was some journalistic license used in implying that every car wash costs GBP 7,000, that's crazy money ;-)
Most shops around here are $65-80 per hour. As said that level of job would be over $1500 with the wet sand. Next time, don't get it sanded, if you take care of it, you should only need a light polish.

Originally Posted by Floodj
For $7000, I would seriously consider a top notch re-spray?
For $1000 sounds like a good move. My car is black and has swirls I would love to see removed.

I am usually pretty willing to pay extra for someone who really knows his business. Often Detailers are just guys who wash cars.

--Joe

BTW, now you are obligated to post pictures. Because

THIS
$7k for a full respray? That's on the low end for a high quality job. Then the rest of the car will not be done. Most of the time, after a full respray, you need a detailer to fix everything the body shop dirtied, or missed. Every body shop I have seen, can not properly polish a car. What they do is level paint, & even it out. They don't detail.

Originally Posted by HT993
sorry, i only have an iPhone photo taken a few hours before he finished, but here you go... and yes, the windscreen was cleaned later ;-)
Judging from how dirty the wheels are, is this a before shot?

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Nah, I get the sickness. I have spent big money on a detail before. And would do it again. Brought the car to absolute baseline perfection and worth every penny. But my advice to OP, next time you spend this kind of money, insist that part of the package is a full collection of digital pictures of the detailing and the finished product when he/she is done.
Yea, people think their cars are "clean" then they get them detailed, & it's a whole other level. I hear it all the time how clean their car is, then I see it & think to my self you have very low expectations. Especially on interiors. They are way dirtier then you think they are.

Best thing is get the car detailed, have them show you how to maintain it, then do it your self, every few years have them go over it again. If it is maintained, it's far cheaper to have them do it later.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like to clean and polish things on my own. $7k buys a lot of Zaino product!!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I was lost when he said "bacteria" and "microscope"...

Quick Reply: World's most expensive 993 wash?