993 Forum 1995-1998

Car cover & clear bra questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car cover & clear bra questions

In anticipation of finalizing a deal, in the next day or two, for a 993...and my first Porsche btw, I've got a couple of the first of many questions to come.

1. How many of you use a car cover in addition to keeping your car garaged? What car cover do you like best for garage storage?
2. Do you recommend using a clear bra?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

1. Garaged and covered with OEM Porsche cover, but you'll find yourself taking the cover off to peek at those luscious curves.
2. I had the front bumper resprayed and clear bra with Ventureshield. Not everyone cares for paint protection film though.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

1. Only if the car is outside in the summertime. in the garage, no. my current office has underground parking, so I don't cover it. My other office does not, so if I drive there and have to leave it outside, I cover it. I have a black car, so primarily it is to keep the sun off.

2. My car is a DD, and the front has chips and scratches anyway. If/when I have it re-sprayed, I would definitely get a clear bra to protect it. For the time being, I use a bra on long hwy drives.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach
How many of you use a car cover in addition to keeping your car garaged? What car cover do you like best for garage storage?
I use a Coverking Stretch Satin car cover, but only if the car has been washed and during winter storage. There is little point to using one if the car is dirty/dusty.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same - Coverking Stretch Satin when it's in winter storage. If I had my front end resprayed, I would get a clear bra.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I use a California Car Cover Superweave. I just had the nose resprayed and am waiting for the paint to cure to add the clear bra. I've had it on other cars with good results.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If you are going to leave it in the garage for a while, put a cover on it. If it's used every weekend don't cover it. The car needs to be clean to use the cover, or it will scratch the paint.

Clear film is a must if you want the front end looking good long term. Yes you can repaint every few years, but I would rather it looking better all the time, & just get new film put on when needed.

I had the entire front end of both of my cars done in clear film. If you didn't know it was there, you can not tell. There are 0 seams.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the previous posts. Skip the cover unless in long term storage or in a dirty garage. The car MUST be clean before you cover it. I have the clear film on the front and mirrors of my car and am very happy I have it. If you want to drive your car (and assuming the paint is in good shape) get the film. If it's a garage queen don't bother.

Quick Reply: Car cover & clear bra questions