Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAI valve removal wrench? Bueller? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012 | 04:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ecobb993
Bill,

That's what I used. Unfortunately I had to buy the whole 9 pc set to get the 1" wrench. Luckily I have a large toolbox. Can't remember when I last needed a crowfoot wrench though.
Yup, bought the 9 pc. set too. I also have a 10 pc metric flared crows foot set too. I bought that set because of some power steering lines I was working on at the time. To be honest I think I've used the flare crows more than I've used the std. open end crows.
Old 02-14-2012 | 04:05 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Yep, I already had a set (both metric and standard) of flare crows, but not one large enough to grind out for the SAI.
Old 02-14-2012 | 05:14 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike J
All you need is a grinder and access to a cheap tool store - pickup a the close to right-sized crowsfoot, and with a bit of grinding, viola! New tool! It can be cheaper than shipping.
I'll be sure to ask Santa for a bench grinder come the Fall. Dam, didn't know the SAI wrench creation was such a simpleton maneuver.

Bill - thanks for the assist.
Old 02-14-2012 | 06:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ecobb993
Bill,

That's what I used. Unfortunately I had to buy the whole 9 pc set to get the 1" wrench. Luckily I have a large toolbox. Can't remember when I last needed a crowfoot wrench though.
I used them quite often - just this weekend replacing a clutch slave cylinder on the Turbo ... i guess it depends on your "luck" (i.e. what part you are servicing and how deep its inside the car).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-14-2012 | 06:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I'll be sure to ask Santa for a bench grinder come the Fall. Dam, didn't know the SAI wrench creation was such a simpleton maneuver.

Bill - thanks for the assist.
Cheap Harbor Freight/Northern Tools bench grinder comes in very handy. The biggest (single) use I get out of it is sharpening mower blades. But there are always other uses for it, not just modifying crows feet.

$40 though I would put a wire wheel on one end.
Harbor Freight

Quick Reply: SAI valve removal wrench? Bueller? Anyone?