Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Seat Delete Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I hate to say it...call me a sucker. But I paid more for the darn thing than any price that has been posted..I guess when I bought it, I figured I just had to have it and that they rarely ever come around.

I wonder how many of us have said this to ourselves
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Ultimately it is up to a buyer offers and what Damien will accept.
Originally Posted by Damien Lewis
I hate to say it...call me a sucker. But I paid more for the darn thing than any price that has been posted..I guess when I bought it, I figured I just had to have it and that they rarely ever come around.
Damien
Sucker? hardly .. when was the last time you saw one for sale? Probably when you bought yours. If you decide to sell it, set a price and stick with it .. ultimately the market will speak. If you decide to hang on to it .. they're not making any more so the value is just going up :-) win-win.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Sucker? hardly .. when was the last time you saw one for sale? Probably when you bought yours. If you decide to sell it, set a price and stick with it .. ultimately the market will speak. If you decide to hang on to it .. they're not making any more so the value is just going up :-) win-win.
Thanks JPP! That does take the sting out a little bit. If I do decide to sell, I'll definitely post it here.

PS...JPP - Love your car...I enjoyed the article in Excellence magazine and then your detailed build on the forum. Thanks for sharing.

Damien
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Thanks JPP! That does take the sting out a little bit. If I do decide to sell, I'll definitely post it here.

PS...JPP - Love your car...I enjoyed the article in Excellence magazine and then your detailed build on the forum. Thanks for sharing.

Damien
Absolutely! Always glad to enable another addict and .. thanks for the kind words. I go out in the garage and pinch myself every day .. pretty much.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata

I wonder how many of us have said this to ourselves
I am definitely in this category. Now if I can just predict which things will go up in value vs the things that go down in value better, I will be golden.

I agree factory RSDs will continue to rise in value.

If the demand supports it, at some point an aftermarket replacement at a lower price point will make a lot of sense and someone will develop it.

same thing happened with HIDs, RS splitters and RS sideskirts. I am just not sure if the demand will be there for RSDs. the lack of supply is certainly in place.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kika
If the demand supports it, at some point an aftermarket replacement at a lower price point will make a lot of sense and someone will develop it.

same thing happened with HIDs, RS splitters and RS sideskirts. I am just not sure if the demand will be there for RSDs. the lack of supply is certainly in place.
No, I think you're right here. About a year ago I almost bought a factory RS version just to put it away .. yes, I'm a very sick man, but I digress. Anyway, those were just the box, no storage doors and just covered in carpet all over to save weight for the street versions. Anyway, I was struck by the shape when you just see it without all the other 'stuff' on it .. it's a very basic shape that could be molded out of plastic, carbon fiber or fiberglass very easily and that could be a very light part, much lighter than the factory plywood and metal corner brace design. Anyway, it could be made to accomodate either coupe or cab doors and hardware or be left plain for an RS .. anybody want to start a business ..
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Absolutely! Always glad to enable another addict and .. thanks for the kind words. I go out in the garage and pinch myself every day .. pretty much.
you are quite the enabler, aren't ya?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Mine is completely in pieces, stripped of carpet, etc. if someone wants to start producing
Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
No, I think you're right here. About a year ago I almost bought a factory RS version just to put it away .. yes, I'm a very sick man, but I digress. Anyway, those were just the box, no storage doors and just covered in carpet all over to save weight for the street versions. Anyway, I was struck by the shape when you just see it without all the other 'stuff' on it .. it's a very basic shape that could be molded out of plastic, carbon fiber or fiberglass very easily and that could be a very light part, much lighter than the factory plywood and metal corner brace design. Anyway, it could be made to accomodate either coupe or cab doors and hardware or be left plain for an RS .. anybody want to start a business ..
I have thought about building one out of wood, as that is about the extent of my building expertise, but I just don't see that I could build it to be lighter than the folded down seats that are there now. thus, what have I gained?

One out of a lighter weight material would be ideal.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Originally Posted by MarkD
you are quite the enabler, aren't ya?
If someone could measure out the pieces I would be more than happy to draw up plans in Autocad and post for community use. Of course I would then have to build one also! At first wood or aluminum and then maybe fiber after I mastered the basic structure. Any takers on measuring? I'm up for the project.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
If someone could measure out the pieces I would be more than happy to draw up plans in Autocad and post for community use. Of course I would then have to build one also! At first wood or aluminum and then maybe fiber after I mastered the basic structure. Any takers on measuring? I'm up for the project.
That's a very generous offer for anyone looking for an RSD. Does anyone know if the accessories are still available from Porsche (such as the doors and locking hardware)? Might be a very nice way to go vs. buying a used RSD.

Do all RSD's regardless of whether they are for a cab or not, have locking mechanisms? Mine locks when I lock the car which leads me to now believe that it is strictly for a Cab unless told otherwise.

Damien
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like a great idea - I wonder if other doors can be substituted since I bet the Porsche prices are likely totally nuts?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

As far as I know the doors and middle section are no longer available from Porsche.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Do all RSD's regardless of whether they are for a cab or not, have locking mechanisms? Mine locks when I lock the car which leads me to now believe that it is strictly for a Cab unless told otherwise.

Damien
Damien, it's my understanding that the locks are for Cabs (open cars) so the RSD can be secured when the car is parked with the top down. Coupe versions didn't have locks and that locking feature is a big plus
Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Porsche Fan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear seat delete

off to eBay

Last edited by Porsche Fan; 02-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete Pricing