Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 vs. 991 Pictures From Today - Early Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

The 993 interior is so simple with a purpose, not cluttered up with so many extra buttons and dials. I think this is why I like it so much, even after coming from so many newer cars.

Saw the 991 again after our official launch, I have to admit it does get better each time you see it.

Would never promote driving on public streets like this, but wow sport exhaust on the 991 does sound nice!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche AG had the world launch here in Cape Town in January total of 600+ dealers arrived in batches of 200. They took over our local racetrack Killarney for a month. We are the only Porsche Club in the world with our clubhouse right on the track BUT I couldn't get near. Only invitees.
Then 600+ Porsche Club presidents from everywhere turned up -with partner for their intro. Was amazing to see groups of up to 12 991's cruising about on some of our great roads.
Our club prez is a close friend and he reported on having 2 days of complete pleasure driving on the track and on selected fast routes for extended drives.
The catering was I'm told quite amazing -imagine have specialized food for every taste from Japanese to full on English breakfasts. Grub available 24hrs at the hotel they took over - no booze tho.
I had a close look at the last one to be sent back to Stuttgart last week at our Concours. I agree with comments about an Aston Martin-like rear. Not too obvious but there. Great Panamera-like interior but doors that close with a rattle. Not like the wonderful "thunk" of all Pcars up to 993. Just a detail but not that bomb-proof feel any more.
Don't like the new rear shiny logo either,could be more restrained.
Thought about putting down a deposit when I visited the dealer last week. I'll wait til a right-hand drive demo arrives at month end.
Somehow too flashy for an older guy -me ! But a drive might change my mind!
Best
TT
Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I like it in black. When I got back in my 93 after sitting in the 991 however my feeling was very different. I felt releived and relaxed. The interiors of all the newer cars are needlessly complex, swoopy, and leave no room to find peace. The 993 is elemental inside and out while the 991 and many others are technological events.

Still, I agree it is very nice and well done. just glad I have ***** and dials and big upright windshield.
Wow, that's just how I felt. Went to see it at the launch this w/e. Girl from the dealership wanted me on camera talking about how I felt as I sat in it and I wouldn't do it.....had nothing good to say.

Yes its well executed and is technologically superior, but its not a 911 in the classic sense. It's bloated, big, too many buttons and as previously stated looks like cars other than a Porsche 911 (which is why they feel the need to tell you on the tail "Porsche 911 Carerra S"........really 'cause I didn't know )
If you want a big bloated Porsche for $111,250 why not just get a Panamera? I told the girl I would give her a video if I could take the car to the track for a day. "when the car comes back smoking from all corners, you'll know how I feel about it!" Until then, sitting in it in a parking lot did nothing for me. It did have tons of leg room though which is a first for a 6'-3" guy which was a real plus......didn't think that's what she was looking for though

I'll take my 993 for now thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

...When I got back in my 93 after sitting in the 991 however my feeling was very different. I felt relieved and relaxed. The interiors of all the newer cars are needlessly complex, swoopy, and leave no room to find peace...
Yes...that is it in a nutshell. I crave the simplicity of the 993 interior.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

The interiors of all the newer cars are needlessly complex, swoopy, and leave no room to find peace.
I'm sorry, but what the hell does that mean?

No room to find peace?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no comment

Quick Reply: 993 vs. 991 Pictures From Today - Early Thoughts