993 Forum 1995-1998

993 vs. 991 Pictures From Today - Early Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 993 vs. 991 Pictures From Today - Early Thoughts

Many have seen, sat in, driven the new 991. I was up at the dealer today and snapped a couple quick pictures. Sorry for the crappy resolution. Camera phone. If anyone can fix, please do.

The things that grabbed me most about the 991...

1- I think the most radical departure from evolution/lineage of the 911. The 997 looked a lot like a Porsche 911. I think this looks more like an Aston Martin. Not ugly. Aston Martins are beautiful. But it is so elongated and elegant inside, I do think it is a pretty radical deviation from the historical siloutte, etc. I suspect the color makes a big difference on this point.

2- Like all new 911 models, it made my 993 look extremely old and outdated. It was cold so I didnt bother with many side pictures, but from the side the 991 looks like it has 21 inch wheels. I dont think they were - probably 19s or 20s, but they made my 18 inch wheels look tiny. And in general made the 993 look tiny.
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will get a chance to see the 991 in the flesh this coming Thursday.

While you're probably spot on regarding it being a radical departure, for some reason the 991 channels more 993 DNA than the previous iterations do. To me, at least. This car intrigues me.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts

Had our launch event last night with over 200 people........The interior is a fantastic upgrade from the 997 and definitely 996 hands down - can;t wait to see in something other than black on black....materials seem much better.........would like to see the engine in the 991, but not designed for that...........sunroof looks odd when open - don't care for it - it was a nice try at being somewhat unique..........prices are shooting up making pre-owned more attractive to us retired folks........exhaust sound on the S, still not as nice as anything air cooled.....car look good overall and will attract new audience/buyers to the marque.....Turbo/GT cars will differentiate the 911......the base and S cars are for mainstream buyers I believe...........car nuts will go with the product line extensions more and more, if they can afford it.....IMHO..........drove it too gingerly to assess driving dynamics.........
Old 02-05-2012, 05:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Its a good looking car. But to me in person, it looked less 911. More like a two door Panamera, Audi RS5, Aston Martin in terms of the shape. Not necessarily a bad thing at all. Light. The HP/torque figures from the NA engine look like a turbo not that long ago. I am just not feeling it in terms of the shape. Maybe it will grow on me. In the second photo you can see my 6 yr old walking in his hoodie way in the background. Its funny because he said he liked the way the 997s look better, and pretty much walked away from the 991. Not sure how much a 6-yr old boy is a good barometer, but just saying...
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Its a good looking car. But to me in person, it looked less 911. More like a two door Panamera, Audi RS5, Aston Martin in terms of the shape. Not necessarily a bad thing at all. Light. The HP/torque figures from the NA engine look like a turbo not that long ago. I am just not feeling it in terms of the shape. Maybe it will grow on me. In the second photo you can see my 6 yr old walking in his hoodie way in the background. Its funny because he said he liked the way the 997s look better, and pretty much walked away from the 991. Not sure how much a 6-yr old boy is a good barometer, but just saying...
Jonathon, you're in the picture too in case you didn't catch that.

When I saw the back of the 911 at Rennsport, Aston Martin is exactly the same impression that went through my mind. I like the style, just wish it looked less like a grand touring car and more like a sports car (read that to mean smaller)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have been admiring the picts and reviews over the last few months in the mags...but never saw "Aston". Now all of a sudden I do. It is not so much the shape but the tailights. I am not crazy about them but the over car still looks better than a 997 to me. Grand touring look for sure but hopefully will be a great sports car in S and turbo form.

I am fairly certain of one thing though...we will not be getting any waves from 991 drivers. This is a different league!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Jonathan, I disagree with the terms "old and outdated" when comparing the 993 (exterior) to the 991. Non-contemporary, maybe - obviously, since the 993 is not of the current "style", but a "classic" design does not have to be an "outdated" look. Maybe I am splitting hairs or just being blinded by my 993 love.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

yes, those are 21" wheels ... big, aren't they? I've learned over the 40+ years I've owned these cars that when it comes to Porsche, time marches on and no matter how 'radical' the departure, it usually always improves the cars.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually they are 20 inch wheels. All 3 designs at launch are 20 inchers. The 991 definitely looks big in person compared even to the 997.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just HAD to mess up my day with that RB car, didn't ya!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Although I wouldn't buy one myself, in person the 991 does look much better than in pictures, especially from a direct side view. The overall profile is very smooth and Aston rear is what I initially thought too. Overall I like it more vs the outgoing 997. Can you imagine the GT and turbo versions in terms of performance numbers!

Let's say current "air-cooled" owners won't be running out to purchase this car, but based on the Vancouver 991 launch event you can clearly see many existing 997 owners do like the new 991. And without a doubt, they will gain new market share/new buyers to the brand.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw it at Rennsport, last Thursday night, drove it Saturday morning, and went to the Launch Extravaganza put on by RusnakAutoGroup.

First, it is a different car from all previous models. It is bigger than the 911 and has all the whizzbang stuff.

It drives differently than a 993 which drives differently than a 911SC which drivers differently than a 1973 911.

I know know what it was lifor when 356 guys drove a 911 for the first time. It is different. It is a GT car. Ferrari maks a GT car. For what it is I LIKE IT. I told my friend,who lives in Vegas, to get one.

Wifey thinks it is a little soft. It, in it's current form is not a track car. But a Cayman or Boxter or GT3RS are track cars.

One thing I like is that Wifey who is 5 feet and I am 6'3" and we both fit. I rung it out as much as I could and was impressed.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FGL28
I saw it at Rennsport, last Thursday night, drove it Saturday morning, and went to the Launch Extravaganza put on by RusnakAutoGroup.

First, it is a different car from all previous models. It is bigger than the 911 and has all the whizzbang stuff.

It drives differently than a 993 which drives differently than a 911SC which drivers differently than a 1973 911.

I know know what it was lifor when 356 guys drove a 911 for the first time. It is different. It is a GT car. Ferrari maks a GT car. For what it is I LIKE IT. I told my friend,who lives in Vegas, to get one.

Wifey thinks it is a little soft. It, in it's current form is not a track car. But a Cayman or Boxter or GT3RS are track cars.

One thing I like is that Wifey who is 5 feet and I am 6'3" and we both fit. I rung it out as much as I could and was impressed.
Its easy (and obvious) to say that every 911 looks and drives different...and that it takes getting used to... "the 356 guys said it about the 911...", and so on. I get that. And agree. My point is that I think the jump from 997 to 991 is larger than any previous jump in the 911 line... my only point...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I will get a chance to see the 991 in the flesh this coming Thursday.

While you're probably spot on regarding it being a radical departure, for some reason the 991 channels more 993 DNA than the previous iterations do. To me, at least. This car intrigues me.
you going to the PDK event? Ill see you there...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Well I have been admiring the picts and reviews over the last few months in the mags...but never saw "Aston". Now all of a sudden I do. It is not so much the shape but the tailights. I am not crazy about them but the over car still looks better than a 997 to me. Grand touring look for sure but hopefully will be a great sports car in S and turbo form.

I am fairly certain of one thing though...we will not be getting any waves from 991 drivers. This is a different league!
The first thing that hit me when I saw the 991 press photos was Aston in the back and R8 in the front. IMO the designers are trying too hard to make it look like other more $ cars instead of keeping it what it is. I would rather have an iconic shape and something unique to itself than a car designed to "look" like others that cost more.

Quick Reply: 993 vs. 991 Pictures From Today - Early Thoughts