Sponsored by:

Airbag Expiration Date

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag Expiration Date

PPIing a 96 993 C2 tomorrow, then it's all mine!!! Was reading through the 993 bible and noticed that the airbags expire at 15 years.

1. Is this something I should get the seller to deal with before delivery?
2. Do you guys worry about it?
3. Finally, I am planning on upgrading to a more attractive wheel, like the 3 spoke ones (out of the S models?), what do those normally cost and would they come with a new airbag?

Thanks, Brian
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman
PPIing a 96 993 C2 tomorrow, then it's all mine!!! Was reading through the 993 bible and noticed that the airbags expire at 15 years.

3. Finally, I am planning on upgrading to a more attractive wheel, like the 3 spoke ones (out of the S models?), what do those normally cost and would they come with a new airbag?

Thanks, Brian
Since you are planning to replace it anyway, why worry about it? seems like you answered you own question.

As a data point, I have not replaced my steering wheel, or airbag, nor am I worried about it.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

good question on what to do with old bags. with 15 years coming up is it something to change in the name of safety? I bet they are $$, but could be a 15 year investment.. and I would rather have them fire correctly if needed so you can drive a 993 the next day as well.

phil.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Since you are planning to replace it anyway, why worry about it? seems like you answered you own question.
That's fine for the steering wheel airbag but he needs to address the passenger side airbag too.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I understand it, replacing airbags has to be done by certified technicians, by law. You can kill yourself if one of those things goes off while you're fiddling with it.

Simple: call a dealer and ask how much it would cost to replace both airbags in your 993. Then decide if it's worth it to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I doubt it is a binary function where beyond the 15year mark, the airbag will fail to deploy. It is however the point, where the warranty expires, thus the manufacturer will cannot be held liable for a malfunction after that date.

Kinda like milk, it doesn't all of a sudden go rancid on the date of expiration. (there is a great Seinfeld skit about that)

having said that, is there someplace that can do an inspection and re-certify the airbag?

OR, maybe an excuse to get a new steering wheel..
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911Dave
That's fine for the steering wheel airbag but he needs to address the passenger side airbag too.
hadn't thought about that....I rarely have passengers in the 993, but good point
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is one of those topics where you'll never get a manufacturer to say it's OK to just forget about the expiration date. Even if only 1 out of a million doesn't deploy then they get sued so why take the chance, especially if they get to sell you a new one. For these kinds of things I tend to look for what is advised in countries that are considerably less litigious than the US. Here's an opinion from the UK that you might want to consider:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...replacing.html

I also remember reading about a test done with a large number of past expiration airbags pulled from junkyards and that 100% fired off as designed. Everyone has to make his/her decision about acceptable risk but personally I'm not losing any sleep over my 10+ year old airbags.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman

Thanks, Brian
1. No, if the airbags has been checked. Look for stamps in the service book.
2. No, I would not worry about it. Talked to a Volvo dealer. They have not changed airbags even on early cars equipped with airbags. Just get them checked. The Porsche dealers says the same thing. But your legal system is not like ours in Europe which means that the manufactures will disclaims liability by writing the way they do.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I own a 1996 C2. I had the airbags checked by my Porsche tech in the fall of 2010 as part of my 45k inspection. No problems were noted. I am personally not concerned. An issue of Excellence within the last 2 years I'd say had a good article about air bag maintenance.

Quick Reply: Airbag Expiration Date