993 Forum 1995-1998

Spark plug wire location on Distributor caps

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug wire location on Distributor caps

Anyone have a drawing showing the placement of the spark plug wires on the distributor cap
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

IIRC, when I replaced the DC on my TT(single distributor setup), the cylinder numbers were indicated on the top of cap next to its corresponding post. Does that help?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in addition to Mr. Bing's post above, on many 993s there is a diagram on the electrical box cover on the left side of the engine bay

the OE Beru wires also have cylinder #s on them

or are you looking for a photo of the actual wire routing?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks993
Anyone have a drawing showing the placement of the spark plug wires on the distributor cap
You mean your wires didn't come with a diagram or documentation?

Here you go. These are still as wired by the Porsche factory showing the over and under routing, if it matters.

With new Beru Silicone Copper Cables...
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

how many people have changed their distributor belt? curious on what people have seen - im at 60k and thinking it will be a preventative project.

phil.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by element
how many people have changed their distributor belt? curious on what people have seen - im at 60k and thinking it will be a preventative project.

phil.

I just did my 60k service last weekend and thought about that too...however after reading the DIY article, I think I will just send mine off for 170 bucks and have someone else redo it...looks like a PITA job.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
ricks993
Racer

Alex

Thanks for your excellent information, which is exactly what I am looking for. I am starting to rely on you posting a response!!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by element
how many people have changed their distributor belt? Curious on what people have seen - I'm at 60k and thinking it will be a preventative project.
I changed the distributor belt last winter at ~45,000 miles while I was replacing my spark plug cables, distributor caps and rotors. The miles on my 1995 C2 weren't the concern; the age was. The belt looked good, but then so did my alternator belt months before it went.

Replacement of the distributor belt is an easy DIY with parts costing under $15 for the belt, pin and O-ring. Doing it yourself gives you the chance to check all parts while giving the distributor a good cleaning.

My distributor gallery on SmugMug really isn't a DIY, but there are a few good tips on it such as distributor removal and a solution of the secondary distributor plug at the bottom.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM
ricks993
Racer

Kent
It is a PITA job! You have someone that will do the job for $170.00 sounds cheep? If I had someone to do it for that price I would have had them do it. But as Alex said in another post this is an opportunity to clean up the top of my engine.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ricks993
Kent
It is a PITA job! You have someone that will do the job for $170.00 sounds cheep? If I had someone to do it for that price I would have had them do it. But as Alex said in another post this is an opportunity to clean up the top of my engine.
Rick, just to clarify, I wanted better access to replace my spark plug cables, so removal of all engine components above the cooling shroud gave me the opportunity to clean the engine compartment and all engine components.

It was not required to do the distributor rebuild. The distributor can be removed by just removing a couple of components...blower fan and associated tubing.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You mean your wires didn't come with a diagram or documentation?
OE Beru wires are all nicely labelled and in the looms, with grommets... and resistors

Diagrams? we don't need no stinking diagrams
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
OE Beru wires are all nicely labelled and in the looms, with grommets... and resistors

Diagrams? we don't need no stinking diagrams
Well they obviously didn't come with the diagrams that the OP needed.

Resistors? We don't need no stinking resistors...the old ones are just fine.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Well they obviously didn't come with the diagrams that the OP needed.
actually, I have no idea what the OP has...

Just addidng real data. It's what these forums are forum.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

actually, I have no idea what the OP has...
I believe he went with the full set of cables.

And since they are pre-assembled, how one routes the wires to the distributor caps can make all the difference between them being just right or too tight.

Just adding real data. It's what these forums are forum.
Speaking of "data", I once asked at what point those caps fail. I never did get an answer. Mind you, we'd need a large enough sample of failures for any data to be meaningful.

Remember, those new set of Bosch points I once installed that didn't work. Parts either fail during the early stages of life or they last a long time.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I believe he went with the full set of cables.

And since they are pre-assembled, how one routes the wires to the distributor caps can make all the difference between them being just right or too tight.
Yes, they need to be routed correctly. And the good news is that they are all labelled, which is nice

Speaking of "data", I once asked at what point those caps fail. I never did get an answer. Mind you, we'd need a large enough sample of failures for any data to be meaningful.

Remember, those new set of Bosch points I once installed that didn't work. Parts either fail during the early stages of life or they last a long time.
Not sure who you asked but it looks like you answered your own question. You need data... Perhaps you could do some additional research?

As you know, we prefer to change them prior to failure. A proactive maintenance approach. IIRC, you disagree with that approach. To each their own.

No, I don't recall you had defective points.... but comparing new defective points to old plug resistors? Really?
Interesting.
Edit: wait, I see your point (no pun). You are saying that you had new defective Bosch points so your new plug resisitor could also suffer from infant mortaility.
Still, interesting.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire location on Distributor caps