Sponsored by:

Help on Estimation of Damages - Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Help on Estimation of Damages - Photos

Before I took ownership of my 993, the PO had to replace the immobilizer. (This is after I paid for the car and was 3 days prior to me picking it up.) While the car was in the shop, numerous damages were made to the interior from taking the seats out and putting them back in. These damages were photographed and documented by the PO. He contacted the shop and their estimation was $400. This is a low-mileage car that has been meticulously cared for. Their estimate seems a little low to me. They just threw that number out there and didn't itemize it. What are your thoughts?

1.) The plastic retainer piece for the lower floor mat on the passenger side was missing.

2.) There was a scratch near the radio that did not exist before.

3.) There was a rather large gouge in the center console that was not there before.

4.) There was another scratch on the center console near the driver's seat that was not there before.

5.) There are several scratches on the driver's side door sill and a hole in the weather stripping that were never there before.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to see that. What a bummer. This is why I do all my own work...
Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Just careless. Good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a bunch of losers.
You find a 'perfect' car ...and for something as simple as changing a bit of electronics under the seat -- these clowns, nay, gorillas, add 'hundreds' of careless-owner-type miles to the car.
Anybody getting into the car now, would look at the interior and think it was leased.
What an effin' shame.

Get this fixed or looking at it will gnaw at you and it will change your perception of the car as well.

Gerry
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The number presented is low.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Those parts are not repairable easily, or not at all.

If you have a copy of the Porsche Parts List, you can get a rough idea of pricing by searching for the part number and then putting the part numbers into the Pelican Parts website. Pelican may not be the cheapest for some of the parts but will give you a much better idea of what this could cost to repair.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That is totally careless work!

Doing the door sill & door gasket is going to be a couple of hundred with dealer parts. The center console alone is a few hundred. How did they scratch the lower dash pad?

You should out the shop, so no one here ever goes there!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

That is amazing. I have removed and installed seats in my prior 993s numerous times and never ever touched anything in the car while removing them. Ugh....

Anyway, contact Fibrenew in Georgia. They specialize in repairing some of the damage you are showing and do great work. Plus their fees are very reasonable. Good luck.

http://www.fibrenew.com/middle_georgia/
Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

How did they scratch the lower dash pad?
The radio has to be grounded to the immobilizer - or so they said. So the radio had to come out.

You should out the shop, so no one here ever goes there!
The damages above are nothing compared to what they missed on the PPI. I am currently having to do a top-end rebuild because the valve guides are shot - at 59,000 miles no less. I know that this is hard to catch in a normal PPI, but this shop had the entire exhaust off for one week. (Fixing oil leaks) While they had the exhaust off, I had them add a bypass pipe. Once the bypass pipe was added (still the PO's car), the car started smoking. They said it was just burn-off from the new pipes and gaskets. My shop had the exhaust off for 2 days and this is what they found:

Cracked/rubbing fan was missed during PPI:

Check out how they initially checked the water-cooled boxes on the PPI sheet - this place specializes in Porsches and other exotic cars.

All that said, I don't want to out the shop just yet. I have turned this all over to a lawyer to review. However, if you are in the state of Florida and looking for a shop to service your car or do a PPI, PM me. I'll tell you my truthful facts of what happened to me and you can make your choice on whether to go to this shop or not.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
This is why I do all my own work...
+1 and I always use protective layers (old blankets, towels, etc) near any part of the car when I work on it...even the engine compartment.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the shop perform a leakdown and compression test during the PPI? If not hard to know if they could of/should of picked up on the valve guide wear. The crack in the fan blade and rubbing is a completely different matter. Is it possible they screwed something up whilst working on the motor and this problem manifested itself afterwards? The interior damage is indicative of a complete disregard for someone else's property.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Did the shop perform a leakdown and compression test during the PPI? If not hard to know if they could of/should of picked up on the valve guide wear.
LD/Compression test doesn't detect guide wear....unless the guides are so worn that the valve head isn't seating properly, and then you'd hear it.

Only way to test guide wear is oil consumption or removing springs/retainers and measuring play...or, in this case, by seeing that the valve/port area is caked in oil and carbon....
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Is it possible they screwed something up whilst working on the motor and this problem manifested itself afterwards? The interior damage is indicative of a complete disregard for someone else's property.
It is possible and I thought about that. But that would be difficult to prove.

Did the shop perform a leakdown and compression test during the PPI?
They did. When I asked them about the car burning oil they stated that "the car was burning no oil and was in "perfect" shape.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

or, in this case, by seeing that the valve/port area is caked in oil and carbon....
My thoughts exactly. Why I wasn't told about this is beyond me. They had nothing to gain by hiding this from me.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
They had nothing to gain by hiding this from me.
Oh, I doubt they hid anything from you. This whole situation smacks of incompetence, not deception.

Quick Reply: Help on Estimation of Damages - Photos