Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Need help with classic car emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you have the problem solved but if not I can tell you the cat option will definitely work. Years ago before CA had the pre '75 exemption I had a Maserati Bora that wouldn't (and probably never) passed smog due to high CO. I had a couple of cats made up that got installed for the smog test and it passed no problem. After the test I'd take them off and install a bypass pipe which basically took it back to the factory setup. I took the cats off partly for performance but mostly because their life was bound to be pretty short given the duty of cleaning up after 4 big Webers.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Success!
First, though, thanks to all who offered suggestions, advice and commiseration. As usual, RLers come through for each other.
I finally was able to penetrate the ridiculous bureaucracy that is City of Memphis/Shelby County gov't, and actually speak to a reasonable man (not many of those in gov't, it seems). I showed him my previous inspection results, where the car passed the safety inspection, but failed the tailpipe test. Then I showed him the section of the Code of Ordinances that specifically exempts Antique cars. I walked out of his office 20 minutes later with a valid inspection certificate. Hooray!
Oh, btw, the p-car also passed with flying colors.

Quick Reply: OT: Need help with classic car emissions