Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights - US Spec car - who has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
The fogs are LED's from Gert, and yes I do have HID's installed, but only as of last night and the DRL's didn't work before the HID's went in.
For what it may be worth, I had perfectly good DRL's with the fogs/driving lights ( US spec car) - until I installed a HID kit in the H1 low beams.

I had been corresponding with Matt777 at the time on his issue which was a lot like yours: voila, I inadvertently created the same mess for me .

Here's a clip from the solution:

"just installed a 35W digital HID kit today ( 5000K) .... and immediate %$#@& when the first converted unit was fired - no fog DRL's.

Sound remotely familiar?

Installed the second light and ran through all possible headlight and fog switch settings ..... DRL's dead!

To jump to the success part, I pulled relay R31 and installed a jumper from 30 to 87 ....voila - fog DRL's are back as before, and everything operates as it should ( fogs are always on with key in 'run', even before the engine starts). I also tried this on R34 , as both are in the fog circuit- no dice.

Why???? I'll have a shot of single malt tonight to help me figure a plausible answer, for now, I come up dry: obviously, something is draining the 85 to 86 trigger circuit of relay R31, or so I assume because the jumper restored correct operation.

The only obvious change on doing the install is that the normal grounding of the lo beam H1 bulb is moved to the ballast .... so perhaps that breaks the normal grounding of R31 .....""

Anyway, a thought that may work.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
... I had been corresponding with Matt777 at the time on his issue which was a lot like yours: voila, I inadvertently created the same mess for me ....
Its al starting to come back to me now. The archives will come in real handy.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
To jump to the success part, I pulled relay R31 and installed a jumper from 30 to 87 ....voila - fog DRL's are back as before, and everything operates as it should ( fogs are always on with key in 'run', even before the engine starts). I also tried this on R34 , as both are in the fog circuit- no dice.

Why???? I'll have a shot of single malt tonight to help me figure a plausible answer, for now, I come up dry: obviously, something is draining the 85 to 86 trigger circuit of relay R31, or so I assume because the jumper restored correct operation.

The only obvious change on doing the install is that the normal grounding of the lo beam H1 bulb is moved to the ballast .... so perhaps that breaks the normal grounding of R31 .....""

Anyway, a thought that may work.
Thanks for the heads up. I will give this a shot and report back.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mts
Yes please. I will most likely want to do the H1 upgrade in the future and so if there is a solution that would be most helpful.

Frank
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
art c.
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led drl

How about these.
I wired them to the side lights, but you could put a switch on them and power them to a hot when on .
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

^^^^^We'd have to downgrade to do that....
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same set-up as described. NO problems and going on 3 years.
HID low beams, and DRL with the stock fogs.
The install with the HID's allowed me to slide the ballast inside the housing and use the bullet connector ground. Is that what most have done?
The DRL fogs was the simple fused jumper.
If you would like I can double check the jumper connections and get back to you.
Let me know, and good luck sourcing the problem.
Neil
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
I rechecked everything and it doesn't work for me. I will have to do a little more looking once I get time.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Ok! Provincial mechanical inspection required DRL and I can confirm that "pull fog light relay and replace it with an in-line fused jumper between #30 and #87 to turn the fog lights into DRL's." works like a charm!!!

Really a 5 minutes job. Thanks Garth S.

PS. Car is US-Spec.

Last edited by Cabarnak; 05-21-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar + added US spec mention
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 AM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Originally Posted by mts
The fogs are LED's from Gert, and yes I do have HID's installed, but only as of last night and the DRL's didn't work before the HID's went in.
I know this is an old thread but it was recently resurrected. If you have the Turbo S air scoops from Gert then you have no fog lights. The Turbo S scoops connect to the parking lights. The 993 Turbo S did not have front fog lights, so the scoops only have one light in them which is the parking/positioning light. I have always wondered why the Turbo S scoops are advertised as scoops/fog lights, since they are not fog lights, and don't even connect to the fog light connectors.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

I received a couple of PMs asking for more details...here is a picture of the pulled R31 relay (foglights) from my 1997 TT (US-Spec).

So in short the steps were:

1 - Pull foglight relay (R31)
2 - Find pins #30 and #87 (small numbers next to pins)
3 - Connect 2 pins with a small copper wire
4 - Put back in place

And voilà, the foglights turn on when you turn on the car and you can pass Canadian mechanical inspections
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Where's the fuse?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Where's the fuse?
It's in the fuse box

It is located in the frunk. passenger side near the firewall. You'll need to unclip two clips and your in..
Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cabarnak
It's in the fuse box

It is located in the frunk. passenger side near the firewall. You'll need to unclip two clips and your in..
I meant on the jumper. I think the procedure is for a fused jumper-yours looks to be a simple piece of wire. Not being soldered on could cause some intermittent continuity, as well-one simply never knows on that type of thing.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I meant on the jumper. I think the procedure is for a fused jumper-yours looks to be a simple piece of wire. Not being soldered on could cause some intermittent continuity, as well-one simply never knows on that type of thing.
Oops sorry

Yep, I opted for a ghetto approach since my install is temporary (just to pass Canadian mechanical inspection)...

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights - US Spec car - who has done it?