Sponsored by:

OBD2 Analyzers - Durametric or Autoenginuity

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OBD2 Analyzers - Durametric or Autoenginuity

I have decided to investigate upgrading from a simple code reader for the OBD2 system to technology that allows you to better trouble shoot systems. I have done a little research on both the Durametric and Autoenginuity software packages that are available to run on a PC and wonder what other Rennlisters have been using.

In particular, I am interested in the most cost effective way to troubleshoot systems such as the HVAC system, the motor management system, and other accessories on the car that are instrumented. Which system is best documented and is user friendly?

Opinions? I asked my local indy. He was not familiar with the Durametric but actually purchased the Autoenginuity system and says that it is to generic to really be of use. That may be because he has not purchased all the many modules that are car specific (I did not ask).
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
clvig
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Durametric and been using it for years in my opinion its the best
obd2 and odb1 tool for porsche, and it does let you check each of the modules.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for Durametric.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Durametric and have been disappointed with it for the 993. Maybe it's because I'm used to the vagcom for vag cars. It is a FAR better product. When I need to just read codes on a 993 I use the vagcom in generic mode over the Durametric. I had some airbag module issues with my car and the Durametric would not do more than read the codes. It wouldn't reset the faults and when I bought the new AB module I had to have the dealer program it for the 993 with the Porsche tester. Durametric wouldn't do it. I haven't been able to get the Durametric to do any initiated tests, like SAI and tank venting, that the PS2 will do.

The Durametric did pay for itself when my wife's Boxster stereo quit. The dealer said she needed a new headunit and they wanted $200 for install labor. The caode, as read by Durametric, said amplifier. I bought the amplifier from Sunset for about $300 less than retail, installed it myself, and the stereo works.

EDIT!! My comments are only applicable to Durametric version 5. As clvig pointed out below version 6 (completely new software) now has 993 functions. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by hoggel; 02-10-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
clvig
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoggel
I have the Durametric and have been disappointed with it for the 993. Maybe it's because I'm used to the vagcom for vag cars. It is a FAR better product. When I need to just read codes on a 993 I use the vagcom in generic mode over the Durametric. I had some airbag module issues with my car and the Durametric would not do more than read the codes. It wouldn't reset the faults and when I bought the new AB module I had to have the dealer program it for the 993 with the Porsche tester. Durametric wouldn't do it. I haven't been able to get the Durametric to do any initiated tests, like SAI and tank venting, that the PS2 will do.

The Durametric did pay for itself when my wife's Boxster stereo quit. The dealer said she needed a new headunit and they wanted $200 for install labor. The caode, as read by Durametric, said amplifier. I bought the amplifier from Sunset for about $300 less than retail, installed it myself, and the stereo works.
have you tried the 6.0 ver.? i find it works much better than the 5
Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 249 Posts

The Scantool freeware made by Rennlisters is a great OBD tool for the 993. Easy and fairly intuitive SW interface. Works with all the 993 electric control units.
Either make your own serial port adapter or purchase a ready-made with USB connection. The software can be found here on Rennlist, or download from my web site.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel

I totally agree with you coming from Vagcom. But you also got too remember Audi's ECU's are WAY smarter then ours. I don't have to use it as much either Porsches hardly ever throw a CEL, my Audi almost did it weekly.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clvig
have you tried the 6.0 ver.? i find it works much better than the 5
I have not. Thank you for the tip. The last time I had looked at the Durametric site version 6 did not support the 993. I see that it does now. I just downloaded ver 6 today but haven't used it yet.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
The Scantool freeware made by Rennlisters is a great OBD tool for the 993. Easy and fairly intuitive SW interface. Works with all the 993 electric control units.
Either make your own serial port adapter or purchase a ready-made with USB connection. The software can be found here on Rennlist, or download from my web site.
Cheers,
Tore
Link is dead. Anyone have a good one?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 249 Posts

My former web host packed in, here's my new product page.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Opinions?
Ernie, I recently bought a Durametric Enthusiast Kit. In the end I decided upon it over the Professional Kit simply because features of the Professional Kit do not apply to the 993 and I can always sell the Enthusiast kit for 2/3 or 1/3 of the kit price (its good for three VIN numbers).

In a reply from Durametric...
Thank you for contacting Durametric. The tool does not support any Coding features on the Porsche 993. Therefore, there is no difference between the capabilities of the Professional and Enthusiast kits on that model. If this is the only Porsche you intend to support, the Enthusiast kit should provide everything you need.
I only had one fault code in the HVAC, something I'll address over the winter.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Analyzers - Durametric or Autoenginuity