Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Foam blocks in Turbo Bumper - what are they for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Foam blocks in Turbo Bumper - what are they for?

I took the front bumper off the Turbo because I hated the way the the rubber gaskets were run - sloppy job (the bumper was repainted due to paintchips) so its part of my winter maintenance. Anyways, when removing the bumper, a few disintegrated foam spacer blocks fell out in chunks, one totally soaked with water.

I have replaced the gasket, and am ready to put the bumper back on the car, but what about the foam blocks? Are they needed, and if so does anyone have a picture of where they are supposed to go? I have the parts diagram below, I can order them, but its not obvious if they are there to stop vibrations, or water from entering, or ??

What do you guys think? I need to order parts anyways, and the total for all the foam parts is <$50, and I like to be complete...but where do they exactly go?

Here is the diagram below.

It looks like there are supposed to be (1) of 19, (1) of 20, and two of (20a) per bumper. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe they are there to prevent air escaping around the oil cooler and forcing it to go through.

When I put splitters on mine, I added some foam since the shape was different.

So I'd say yes, put them there.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, I thought as much. I guess it should be obvious where they go - interesting enough, parts 19 and 20 are stated as one of each, so its focused on just the oil cooler, not the A/C unit?

Parts 19 and 20 are flagged in the part manual as 'Model 573', is the the option for A/C?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Mike,

They are on both sides and basically surround the LH and RH heat exchangers to keep air flow directed through them. You will need two each. Easiest thing to do is glue them (Pliobond) to the bumper in the right spot and they''ll stay in place on assembly.

Funny how they deteriorate, huh? I replaced mne both times the bumper cover was off. I think the foam is water soluable....

If you are ordering parts you may want to get two of Item # 15 - those air vents for the headlights. They ALWAYS break on removal.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

As you say, PET shows one of each 19 & 20 for cars with a/c so it would seem those go on the left hand side a/c condensor and 2 number 20a which is one each side.

PET has been wrong before though! and they arent alot on money
Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mike cap
Mike,

They are on both sides and basically surround the LH and RH heat exchangers to keep air flow directed through them. You will need two each. Easiest thing to do is glue them (Pliobond) to the bumper in the right spot and they''ll stay in place on assembly.

Funny how they deteriorate, huh? I replaced mne both times the bumper cover was off. I think the foam is water soluable....

If you are ordering parts you may want to get two of Item # 15 - those air vents for the headlights. They ALWAYS break on removal.
Thanks! Ok, a few questions:

1 - PET says I need one each of of (19), 1 of (20), and 2 of (20a) per bumper

I think you are saying I need 2 of (19), 2 of (20) and 2 of (20a) per bumper?

2 - There are no obvious marks on the inside of the bumper where these parts are glued on. Any guidance/pictures here, or do I have to reverse engineer it?

Latest quote from Sunset: $11.79 for (19), $7.36 for (20), and $14.77 for (20a). Basically $20 to order more to order two of each. Sounds like a no-brainer. Its also temping to get some closed-cell foam and cut my own! (once I get the new pieces to have the pattern). It can't be that hard.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike

I'll be putting on a Turbo bumper as well if you want to split/share costs on making your own foam blocks. As well, when you refit the bumper I wouldn't mind watching over your shoulder so that I know how it is done. I am probably a few weeks away since I need to get bumper I have repainted along with ordering some parts (rubber gaskets etc.)

Regards, Frank
Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I will need to order a set of blocks anyways, so unlikely to make them this round (since I need a set of new ones to know their shape - the ones on my bumper are totally gone).

You can sortof look over my shoulder, but I drop into my shop when I have time from the house, so there is not a really "formal" time. I have the car stripped right now (front bumper, ALL the underside panels, wheel well panels) are all off, and I am about to start to put it all back together. You are certainly welcome to visit, but its going to be hard to coordinate.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Mike,

You will need two each of 19, 20 and 20a. Both LH and RH sides require the same foam pieces. They are identical mirror sides LH and RH.

You should see glue or old foam residue on the inside of the bumper cover where the old ones came off. Otherwse it'll be intuitive where they go when you look at how the bumper cover mounts up in relation to the heat exchangers.

# 20a goes under the heat exchangers - between the heat exchanger and the bumper flat part. Near the headlight vent fitting.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I guess the parts guide is wrong since they say one piece... good to know!

Thanks, that is clearer. I looked at the inside of the bumper, it has been repainted (as most front bumpers have), and the body shop cleaned it well - no signs of any adhesives. It also looks like they did not put all the foam bits back anyways.

I will order them and figure it out.

Gotta love this place!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, Once you've traced and created a pattern from the ones that you've ordered, you can get a hot wire foam cutting tool at any well supplied hobby or craft store and cut more to one's content. I doubt if many shops replace the damaged foam upon removal once the bumper's been repainted.

Quick Reply: Foam blocks in Turbo Bumper - what are they for?