Sponsored by:

Opinions on This Quick Oil Drain Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts
Exclamation Opinions on This Quick Oil Drain Valve?

I've always been annoyed at how suddenly the oil drains from our cars and leaves a mess on the garage floor. I've used 3 different drain pans, and none can cope with the intensity of the oil coming down from the oil tank. They always overflow... The engine case is better, but still.

So I found this on another forum thought it might work for our cars:

Video of how it works: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...ve/Video98-SD/

Link to purchase a Porsche-specific valve: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...lts.asp?Cat=36

One drawback - it is missing the magnetic piece in the drain plug so you won't see the shavings telling you your engine is about to grenade...

Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I am going to get one for my R32 but I have my oil changed in the 911.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmm, on the lift I just put the use oil tank funnel very close to the drain, and rarely get any spillage. How close is your pan to the drain? I can barely fit my hand in there when I drain the oil, it does get tricky.

I like the idea of a valve, but would have that worry about leaks or what if the valve worked open? that would be both very messy an possibly expensive. I think for now i will stick with the way it was designed.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Lawnmower - yes.

993 - no.

Andreas
Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmm, on the lift I just put the use oil tank funnel very close to the drain, and rarely get any spillage. How close is your pan to the drain? I can barely fit my hand in there when I drain the oil, it does get tricky.
This...I just did my first oil drain a couple weeks ago. I have a fairly large pan (after it was all said and done, it was about half full), and literally had a drop or two that splashed out. I just kept the drain pan as close as possible, and when the plug came out I left it partially inserted to regulate the flow. Figure the extra couple of minutes a couple times a year won't kill me.

All that said, even before this I had wondered about a quick drain valve like that. However I'm pretty sure the plug on the thermostat sees oil pressure doesn't it? I'd have my reservations about a valve in a pressurized location, not an inexpensive one at least. It looks like that particular valve has an interlock on the handle so at least vibrating open would be less of a concern.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I got about 5 emails from ECS about this in the past few days. :/

I was thinking about it for my 540, but it would end up hanging down from the pan (plug's on the bottom) more than I'm comfortable with. Convenient, yes, but removing the plug isn't that much of a nuisance to me.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

cool idea.
my thoughts are, after the heat of the oil hits the hose, the hose expands, releases from the valve and squirts oil all over. but that's only the first time, after that you could hold the hose in place.

I use a 3.5 gallon paint bucket from lowes to catch the oil. its tall enough so that on jack stands it still reaches close to the drain plug, short enough to slide under the engine drain plug, and wide enough to catch all the spill from the engine oil filter being removed. usually not much mess to clean up.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a bucket.. it's my oil bucket for both my cars and once im done i empty it with a funnel back into the oil containers for recycling.. I had a purpose built collector, but like the big opening more and dont need to store in my bucket for long.

I dont like extra things that can go wrong on the car - keep your eye on it as it goes through some heat cycles.

phil.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this for each of my VW Van and my Audi B6. No issues with oil leaking, ground clearance, I don't even have to take off my engine protective plate and I don't have to deal with changing washers or having to use a breaker bar to loosen the plug. Overall very convenient and a time saver The oil does come out at the same rate as if I had a plug so the mess is equal.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Quick drain valves are very popular on piston aircraft. I worked for an aero club during college and most of our 30 airplanes were equiped with them. Made changing oil a breeze. Just attach a hose, push up on the valve, and drain into a bucket. If they work in the critical application of an aircraft engine I don't see why they wouldn't work for an automobile engine. Although I have never had a problem draining the oil in the 993 the old fashion way. You just need to have your drain pan right next to the drain point.

Last edited by Van1; 01-06-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 AM
SkiDan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For years I have been using similar quick drain valves (made by Fumoto) on my Subaru Forester turbo and my Honda Pilot. They work extremely well and greatly facilitate the oil change task by eliminating the need for clean up. The valves are well designed with a spring-loaded locking mechanism to avoid the problem of accidental discharge and I have not experienced so much as a single drop of leakage from the valves.

That said, I am not in a hurry to install one on my 993 because I have prettty much contained the oil change mess problem (by applying the shared experiences of others on this forum, notably use of a bent pie plate) and because I make a point of not being in a hurry whenever I conduct maintenance on my Porsche.

Last edited by SkiDan; 01-07-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Thoughts?
I've seen "quick drains" used on some of the aircraft I worked on ages ago.

As for my 993, I bought a 21 liter blue box, the ones that are used for recycling, and use it as a drain pan...never overflows and only a couple of bucks.

In the video, I like how he says "using a 19 mm box wrench..." as he is using an open end wrench. And at the end "No more stripped threads". People strip those?

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-07-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Antihero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use Fumoto valves on all my vehicles (including motorcycle). Never had a problem. Makes oil changes a breeze and eliminates those post-change OCD moments where you second guess whether or not you torqued down the drain plug properly or put a washer on the plug. And if you ever accidentally overfill it makes siphoning a clean 2 second affair.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a fumoto valve on my F250 diesel, and it works great. It does increase the time needed to drain 14 qts of oil but it is cleaner and keeps oil from splashing.

I wouldn't bother with one on the oil pan of a 993. Not that much oil from there.
Unfortunately, these won't work on oil sump tank drain where it would help control the big "gush".
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 807 Posts

I use this:

and don't have any issues. Even from the oil tank, it fills up close to the edge, but does not overflow. I take out the green plug in the center for what its worth.

You could also try this and then transfer to sealed container for transport:

Quick Reply: Opinions on This Quick Oil Drain Valve?