Sponsored by:

'95 plug wire change supprise x4 help/advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
alenz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
With the entire intake removed, consider pulling the SAI system, flinging it into the trash, and fitting the cam tower plugs from Patrick Motorsports.
Thanks Andreas. I was thinking if there was anything else I can do while I'm in there. But, I need to make sure I'll still pass CA smog.

Here is the picture of the cut wires:
one is: Black - Green - Brown
2nd is: Yellow - Blue - Black - Orange
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by alenz
Other than a few solid colors that Porsche and German auto manufacturers use (red, brown, etc), I'd expect a stripe of a different color on each of them.

Does it look like Porsche wiring?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow GREAT info, THANK YOU geolab, IXLR8, rsr91128!!
I looked at the P/N on the harness and it is 993.607.016.15 so I have the new one. At ~$100 I'll buy 000.043.204.61 and try to install w/o engine drop. (P/N 993.607.016.15 harness is $900+. hopefully mine is good still)
Andrew, from your post I'm not sure you knew this but the two part #s you listed above get you the same harness. the 000.043.204.61 part # is/was for Porsche dealers to order when doing the TSB. The other is the standard replacement part #.

You can replace the harness without engine drop but the intake needs to come off.
It is a "fun" job... but lots of opportunity to take care of other items too, as it looks like you are.

Also, going from memory here... but I am pretty sure those cut wires are not OE. Trace them forward, if possible, and I'll bet they don't join the harness as they should.

Have fun!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
alenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkD
Andrew, from your post I'm not sure you knew this but the two part #s you listed above get you the same harness.
Have fun!
I did not know this, thanks.

Wires are a mystery now. The do not look OE. "med Made In Italy" is stamped on both. Interesting because when I took out the pass side seat a few weeks ago I found some Italian lira down there. The wires go back into the cab so it looks like I'll be taking the back seats out, wires must be traced at all cost... haha.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

at any cost, you should not leave the wires like that, and if they have juice, the one who did that before, was attempting an assassination.
The metal tube next to the slit wires is the fuel line...

the harness that goes back, serves all the back lights, A/C compressor, and O2 sensor...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

You have a PM with a link to Porsche Wiring Diagrams.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 PM
alenz
Advanced

I'm making good progress on the harness change. Removed harness and SAI today.
Check out the damage!!! I'm feeling lucky. Only burnt the ground wire. the engine did not catch fire.
Looks like the wire has been like that for a LONG time with the amount of corrosion that has built up. I've had this car for 1 year and it has run fine this entire time ~1800 miles.

geolab,
thank you for suggesting the harness swap. I may have let it go thinking problem was just in the small area.

Engine bay cleaned up and ready for new plug wires and engine harness. kinda worried about the vacuum lines but I'm not there yet.

Andrew
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I don't think I have any record of my wiring harness being changed but was told it was. How do I find out if it was done?
I've heard of some finding about by calling their dealer and having the VIN checked. I think I remember this.....I might have made it up.....
chuck
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I don't think I have any record of my wiring harness being changed but was told it was. How do I find out if it was done?
I've heard of some finding about by calling their dealer and having the VIN checked. I think I remember this.....I might have made it up.....
chuck
Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cactus,
The harness was replaced when I owned the car. It was perforemed at Fred Leavery on Woodward ave in Bermingham MI.
You may be able to call them and they should have a record of it in their system.
Al Z
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Z
Cactus,
The harness was replaced when I owned the car. It was perforemed at Fred Leavery on Woodward ave in Bermingham MI.
You may be able to call them and they should have a record of it in their system.
Al Z
Thanks Al.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Andrew my pleasure,
Just checked, the two nude wires going to the back are not Porsche wires
I would be curious if it was for towing a mobile home...
As for harness, your installation start point is the big rubber grommet before the smaller grommet of the alternator.
So start inserting the alternator cables in the engine plastic cover and insert the big grommet. Install the part going to the starter and do not forget the two extra super long ziplocks around starter.
Fix the harness in the middle of engine top, and then to the left fuel rail. Once you attach the harness to the rail, give it extra length so that it stays afloat above engine top. A bit of extra length and it hangs higher without laying on the plastic engine cover.
The rest is basic.
For vacuum lines do not worry, schematics are available.
All my best.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geolab
For vacuum lines do not worry, schematics are available.
And to the OP, I have plenty of "before" pics during my removal of components from above the engine cooling shroud should you not remember where it all went.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm making good progress on the harness change. Removed harness and SAI today.
Check out the damage!!! I'm feeling lucky. Only burnt the ground wire. the engine did not catch fire.
Looks like the wire has been like that for a LONG time with the amount of corrosion that has built up. I've had this car for 1 year and it has run fine this entire time ~1800 miles.

geolab,
thank you for suggesting the harness swap. I may have let it go thinking problem was just in the small area.

Engine bay cleaned up and ready for new plug wires and engine harness. kinda worried about the vacuum lines but I'm not there yet.

Andrew
ah...
that is the result of someone mistakenly connects the batt cables in reverse polarity

definitely good thing you swapped the harness!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
alenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkD
ah...
that is the result of someone mistakenly connects the batt cables in reverse polarity
I was wondering what could cause that much damage.
PO had the battery changed 5 years ago. I wonder if it's been like this for 5 years?? (car passed a PPI. but don't expect a $200 PPI would find this.) I put in a new battery around October. I did it myself so I know I didn't reverse connections.

Plug wires went in fine. A little WD40 help a lot. Engine harness was going in fine until I dropped the small bolt to the alternator ground. The alternator had to come out. Found the bolt. Work will continue.

Thanks for the comments and help!

Andrew

Quick Reply: '95 plug wire change supprise x4 help/advise