Sponsored by:

If You're Buying Tires Soon Read This

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

JPP, don't forget that Discount Tire Direct has shipping costs already included in tire prices. I consistently find their shipped price a few $$ cheaper than Tire Rack on the same tires.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
JPP, don't forget that Discount Tire Direct has shipping costs already included in tire prices. I consistently find their shipped price a few $$ cheaper than Tire Rack on the same tires.
yep...the only reason I bought my last set of rears from the Tirerack...was they had a pair here on the East coast, and Discount had to ship fromTexas. I needed them quickly, so the extra $30 or so was ok.

Nobody touched Tirerack's price for TPMS for my wife's new Mini though.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:21 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, I ran both quotes with shipping/tax included and tire rack was still the cheapest by $50
Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
I ran a quote for Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's in 295/R30/18 and Tire Rack was the cheapest .. so I think it depends on the tire type/size. BUT looks like it's a good place to check when you're shopping for different types ...
I just did the same thing with 2 sets of Ad08's, Tirerack was cheaper, & had them in stock, Discount needs to order them.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Neither of them charge taxes in MA, but if tax comes into play for one of them, that might change teh equation.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good tip, Chuck. Thanks. I've never understood why Tire Rack did/does not price match.

This tip would save me $90 per tire for PS2's for the Boxster fronts in 235/35/19 (87Y). I need these in the spring.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
IMHO, they destroy the cars ride. They make the sidewalls so stiff they they interfere with the tires performance and cause a harsh ride. I'll sell the Run Flats on Craigslist and come close to breaking even. Those run flats are damn expensive too.
Got it. If the ride is that harsh, you may want to check on Bimmerforums to see if anyone else who dumped their RFs also tweaked their suspension to compensate for "normal" tires. I have a hard time believing that anything leaves Munich without the tires and suspension optimized for each other, to a certain extent.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Got it. If the ride is that harsh, you may want to check on Bimmerforums to see if anyone else who dumped their RFs also tweaked their suspension to compensate for "normal" tires. I have a hard time believing that anything leaves Munich without the tires and suspension optimized for each other, to a certain extent.
Nope. The RFTs were not part of the suspension equation. The Good Year RFT that they put on their 550s are a disaster. Some posters report having eight tires replaced due to side wall bubbles from hitting pot holes.

The BMW I bought has 5 different rides you can select from Eco Plus to sports plus. This will be a travel car so I have no mods planned for it..... at this time.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

lol.

best wishes for a safe and happy new year with the cars !!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Nope. The RFTs were not part of the suspension equation. The Good Year RFT that they put on their 550s are a disaster. Some posters report having eight tires replaced due to side wall bubbles from hitting pot holes.

The BMW I bought has 5 different rides you can select from Eco Plus to sports plus. This will be a travel car so I have no mods planned for it..... at this time.
RFT's come on all Mini's also. We choose the summer performance RFT(Pirelli C7 actually) over an All Season, on my wife's 2012 Countryman ALL4. We have a winter Nokian(not funflat) wheelset on it right now. The treadwear is so pathetically low on the OE tires, we'll be changing them out in a couple of seasons anyway...IF they last that long. The Mini forums are full of similar RFT failures and ride/handling complaints.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Idea. Just put Mich on mine. Cost was good at $1200 installed with certificates.

Where did you get the spare for the 535? I need one for my daughter's car as we went away from the RF tires on her car and there is no spare. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeTwoS
Where did you get the spare for the 535? I need one for my daughter's car as we went away from the RF tires on her car and there is no spare. Thanks.
I got it from BimmerZone;

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F10-KIT.html

If she has a '11 or '12 this one will woek.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 AM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck W - Thanks. Found the one for her car. Appreciate the help.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeTwoS
Great Idea. Just put Mich on mine. Cost was good at $1200 installed with certificates.

What are the certificates. I see it pop up as an option on the Discount Wheel Warehouse checkout cart?

Chuck - Thanks for the lead to better pricing on tires.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tried buying PS2's yesterday from Discount Tire. They are out of stock on the 235/35/19. Will have to revist this in a few weeks. Hopefully Wheel Warehouse still has a low price so Discount Tire can price match.

Quick Reply: If You're Buying Tires Soon Read This