If You're Buying Tires Soon Read This

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts
Default If You're Buying Tires Soon Read This

The BMW 535I I bought and took delivery of in Munich this month came with Dunlap Run Flat tires. I am not a fan of run flats and had planned on swapping them out once the car is delivered back to me in mid January.

I have bought from Tire Rack and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (245/40ZR19 & 275/35ZR19) were going to cost $1,462 delivered. After reading a posting on Bimmerfest, I checked the web site of a little known company (Discount Wheel Warehouse) and their price was $1,118 shipped. I wasn't comfortable buying from them and Tire Rack doesn't price match.

However, Discount Tires Direct does. And, they have a great reputation and customer support. I bought from Discount Tires Direct and saved 22.58% ($326) over Discount Tires Direct list price and 23.53% ($344) over Tire Rack. Discount Tires Direct will match any price on the internet.

In the end, after the $70 Michelin Rebate I will have paid $1048

If anyone else would like to take advantage of this great deal the Discount Tire saleman we used is listed below. He said it was alright to post his information and he will do the same for anyone who calls.

Jim Hodge
Retail Sales Agent
Discount Tire Direct
(800) 589-6789 Ext 51829
james.hodge@discounttireco.com
www.discounttiredirect.com

So..... the garage is ready for the BMW when it arrives.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Chuck,
Great info. Looks like Magdaddy's been in your garage.

Andreas
Old 12-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Chuck, I think that run flats is a wsate of $ IMO, I did the same thing you did on my wife's 750l and saved a lot of cash
Old 12-24-2011, 05:45 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet. The E320 wagon needs a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS next month. I just did a shopping cart comparo, and due to the free shipping, Discount already has Tire Rack beat. I haven't even started the price match process.

Thanks (again) Chuck.

PS- Why not just keep the Run Flats 'till they Run Bald? I mean you already paid for 'em, right?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 278 Posts

Beautiful shot of your new 535i Chuck
Old 12-24-2011, 05:56 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been buying from Discount Tire Direct (those of you on the left cost also have their retail locations which will also price match and will install and balance as well) for the last 10 years after some lest than great experiences with Tire rack (who I've been buying from for 20 years). They are a very decent company with good customer service. Certainly on par with Rack's customer service, if not better. And they carry Falkens, which was important a few years ago.

BTW, Chuck, doe 535 come with a spare? If not, how are you going to address this? I hate runflats, but the manufacturers stopped including spares in many cars...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck, you will love the SuperSports. They are a fantastic tire. Good find on the price match.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
PS- Why not just keep the Run Flats 'till they Run Bald? I mean you already paid for 'em, right?
IMHO, they destroy the cars ride. They make the sidewalls so stiff they they interfere with the tires performance and cause a harsh ride. I'll sell the Run Flats on Craigslist and come close to breaking even. Those run flats are damn expensive too.

Originally Posted by nile13
BTW, Chuck, does 535 come with a spare? If not, how are you going to address this? I hate run flats, but the manufacturers stopped including spares in many cars...
They don't come with a spare. I already bought a compact spare for it (see photo) so I am good to go. I'll strap in down in the truck.

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Chuck, you will love the SuperSports. They are a fantastic tire. Good find on the price match.
Cool. I read a handful of reviews and they were all positive.

Originally Posted by nile13
I've been buying from Discount Tire Direct (those of you on the left cost also have their retail locations which will also price match and will install and balance as well) for the last 10 years after some lest than great experiences with Tire rack
Interestingly enough, I bought four tires from Tire Rack once and two of them were over two years old. It took three calls to their customer service folks to get them swapped for fresh ones. I told the Discount Tire salesman the story and he guaranteed me that there would be no such problem with their tires as they turn over their inventory so fast. The BMW tires arrived and all are very new except one. It was over a year old. One email to him and I had a return label emailed to me and a new tire en route.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I'm about to need 2 full sets 993 rubber.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow what a great price!! I just put Super Sports on my 550, same size; But I paid a lot more! You'll LOVE the tires! They are fantastic! I want to get a set for my Street tires on the GT3 once 315's come available.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Beautiful shot of your new 535i Chuck
+1. Looks great! What kind of wax did you use, must really help with wind resistance.

And thanks for the heads-up on tires.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

We have a '10 5 Series that came with Dunlop RF's. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough! Put on the Conti's and love 'em. I can't believe that BMW puts them on their cars when they know customers will test drive and the RF's compromise everything good about a Beemer. BTW ours came with a compact spare.

Getting ready to put new rears on the 997. Currently not happy with the Pirelli PZero N2's but don't need all 4 yet so will probably burn through anopther set of rears then go to the Michelin Super Sports. Are they N rated yet? Gonna check out Discount Tire.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Chuck,
Great info. Looks like Magdaddy's been in your garage.

Andreas
ummm, I see no recent rear bumper cover damage...so you must be referring to this?

No garbage can, or turbo tail either.

Amatuer's!

Discount tire still do free shipping, that usually beats Tire Rack's delivered price.
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2011, 12:03 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LeNoah
We have a '10 5 Series that came with Dunlop RF's. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough! Put on the Conti's and love 'em. I can't believe that BMW puts them on their cars when they know customers will test drive and the RF's compromise everything good about a Beemer. BTW ours came with a compact spare.

Getting ready to put new rears on the 997. Currently not happy with the Pirelli PZero N2's but don't need all 4 yet so will probably burn through anopther set of rears then go to the Michelin Super Sports. Are they N rated yet? Gonna check out Discount Tire.
Depending on size, yes they are n rated.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
ummm, I see no recent rear bumper cover damage...so you must be referring to this?

No garbage can, or turbo tail either.

Amatuer's!

Discount tire still do free shipping, that usually beats Tire Rack's delivered price.
I ran a quote for Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's in 295/R30/18 and Tire Rack was the cheapest .. so I think it depends on the tire type/size. BUT looks like it's a good place to check when you're shopping for different types ...

Quick Reply: If You're Buying Tires Soon Read This