Sponsored by:

Seattle tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Chapron67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seattle tires?

I've recently moved to Seattle with my '96 993 cabriolet and was wondering whether folks believe I need to get new tires given the 'wet weather' and to go skiing the odd time this winter. It currently has good tread on 255 / 40 ZR 17 94W Yokohama's (rear). Am I crazy to drive with these in the wet/snow/ice? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Maybe look at some Nokian WRG2's if they're available in your size...a good all season/wet weather tire with snow traction equal to many of the common dedicated winter tires.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
TravisB
Pro

I just put on Continental DWS's on my car a month ago. Granted this is my first 993, and the tires I bought it with were questionable..but I have really liked them so far. My car is a daily driver and it's been fine in this really heavy rain we've been getting lately! Tire rack says they'll be decent in the snow..and the shop that did the PPI highly recommended them as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
MDamen
Pro

I'll drive mine in anything but snow. With the wide cross section, it just floats on snow and I can't get it to turn, go or stop. I'm sure a C4 with narrower tires that are snow specific would do well.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've posted in a few areas of RennList about my wonderful experience with Conti DWS. When you dig in and compare the test results (not opinions, actual data) you will see they are superior to a tire like the PS2 in the wet, are almost their equal in the dry, and are great in the snow (compared to say an all season). It's the new wunder-tire. Have had them on my 330i for over a year, put them on my son's Jetta last month.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 AM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by MDamen
I'll drive mine in anything but snow.
Are you talking about your car in general or do you mean you've got the DWS as well? I have an uphill turn I have to get out of to leave my place, might be good to know before I attempt it in the snow, haha.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

its not only the wet/snow you would have to consider up here, but the cold temps as well. Summer tires generally dont perform well is stone cold roads so like a lot of people a good way to address this is to get a dedicated set of winter rims and tires. I personally use winter tires in the winter and it makes a good chunk of difference. My old cabrio was literally undrivable with the summer tires ( granted they were Direzza's, not exactly a great rain tire) and I bought a set of Nokian WR's. They made a lot of difference in day to day driving, although I must say that in the very few times I encountered snow, they were marginal, but still got home.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a very mountainous area with steep grades and curves everywhere. Once in awhile I get caught in severe weather and the Michelin PS 'all -season' tires have been outstanding on my '95. I also have the Goodyear F1 'all-season' tires on another car and it is every bit the equal to the Michelin. Just not sure if it is available in the 993 size. Can't go wrong either way. AA A, speed rated, and very decent tread life.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you like the Michelin and Goodyear (had them both), you will absolutely LOVE the Conti DWS. The DWS is like a summer tire in the rain / snow / cold
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
If you like the Michelin and Goodyear (had them both), you will absolutely LOVE the Conti DWS. The DWS is like a summer tire in the rain / snow / cold
Thank you! I'll take a look next time just for comparison but weren't there some issues about sidewall 'softness' ??
Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Chapron67
Intermediate

Default Seattle Tires, more

So, it sounds like I NEED to change out the tires for Seattle? I plan on selling it in the summer (36k original miles, original everything, perfect btw!) as that's when I'm actually moving all my stuff out here and have to cut the number of cars I have; so I'm not excited to buy new winter tires to drive for one season. Perhaps I just rent a car if I go into the mountains? I guess the better question is: would you drive on the Yokohama's in the winter in Seattle?

Greg
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The option of renting a car for your trips to the mountains is potentially interesting. It might be kind of a PITA to pick up the rental, get all of your gear into it and then reverse for returning it. However, you'll save wear and tear especially if the highways have been de-iced and sanded, as well as parking lot incidents once you get to your destination. Not sure what's in the de-icing solution but it permanently stained parts of my Audi allroad. Also, the sills and other areas low on the car got sand blasted.

I'd advise accepting the insurance from the rental company as well. Even though your own policy and the credit card that you use will provide a level of covereage there are gaps in the covereage. I experienced the gaps first hand.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
TravisB
Pro

Winter duty here isn't quite as harsh as, say, the rust belt, but it's still not easy on cars..plus I guess they just started salting roads here instead of just using sand/gravel. If I had a low mile "perfect" car I'd definitely park it for the winter!

You can buy a beater for what you'd pay for a clear bra, winter wheels/tires, and a new windsheild (after the sand/gravel invariably pits and cracks it; it's about $1400 to replace which is probably worth mentioning!). Since I can only have one car, that's why I bought a higher mile, imperfect, previous paint work car..and I'll probably be calling in sick on the bad days.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the beater idea. Just don't go too far into beater land. You'll still want something that's reliable and reasonably comfortable for what might turn into a little more time in the car than you originally planned.

Subarus seem to be pretty popular...awd, decent ground clearance, relatively inexpensive maintenance, parts availability, plenty of third party service options and decent gas mileage.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

my beater is my 03 Mini Cooper S.. its my daily driver (ok, everyother day now!) and main car before I pickup my looooong dreamed of 993 I put snows on it, have all the roof rack accessories and with the rear seats folded down does everything and more! It's also A BLAST to drive! You can't get much closer to a go-kart and can do 30mpg when i drive it like a sissy (hard to do...) It's also super safe and reliable which is what your car should do as priority #1 - keep you alive in case you hit something!

phil.

Quick Reply: Seattle tires?