Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

VALENTINE1 EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
catchacab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oz, press the volume button in and hold it when you start your V1. It will flash the 4 digit firmware number, or look at the first 4 numbers in your serial#. FYI 3.813 is a very highly desired firmware version.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Originally Posted by catchacab
Oz, press the volume button in and hold it when you start your V1. It will flash the 4 digit firmware number, or look at the first 4 numbers in your serial#. FYI 3.813 is a very highly desired firmware version.
My serial number is 1024210771

What makes 3.813 highly desired?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 AM
DaveHak
Advanced

When I was shopping for a radar detector about a year ago, I read that an older V1 is still substantially superior to other high end units. I never upgraded my unit, and it works like a charm.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisterD
I like that. Are these legal in CA? I may need to get one.
Are you asking if the V1 are legal or if the way I have mounted it is legal? The answer to both are "yes". The V1 is legal since it has no laser jammer and AFAIK Calif still has a law that makes any windshield mounted device (GPS, radar detector, etc) illegal so this mount approach addresses that ...probably just a way to discourage radar detector use, rather than in the true interest of safety (although in case of an accident, 1/2 lb piece of metal would easily disengage from a suction cup).
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

My v1 is mounted to the visor by the clip attachment mounted in reverse and is the best hideaway for the v1 since it has full vision and is hard to spot to the casual observer up there. I ordered the clip from v1 and it is hard wired. I did not trust the suction cups either. I cannot wait to get mine back with the upgrade since I had 10 yr old unit. I'm ready to take the 993 out for a drive now without the v1.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
catchacab
Instructor

I believe that your version is 8.317. In would upgrade it for a few reasons. Reason one, it is prior to them changing to crystal controlled frequency tuning. Your unit is quite prone to drifting out of tune. Exposure to extremes in heat and cold will accelerate this. Out of tune radar detectors can miss some radar signals and/or have decreased warning for radar Second your detector is POP enabled. Some feel that when Valentine added POP detection it decreased detection on the non POP bands.

Friends of mine did some radar detector testing this weekend, and found that the newest firmware version provided much better warning than your version.

Quick Reply: VALENTINE1 EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE