Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 redux - back to the fatherland (well, nearly)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, let me be the first one to say it - I'm interested in teh red turn signals if you decide to sell
Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh wow, props to you for doing all that. I'm in Munich - (relocated from Ontario, Canada recently) and I don't speak German either - so I can appreciate the amount of effort and hoops you had to jump through.

The car looks amazing!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 AM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
E_T, I'm surprised they allowed red turn signals in EU. Other than that, looks like a nice car.
Well, let me be the first one to say it - I'm interested in teh red turn signals if you decide to sell
Nile - this reminds me. The Porsche dealer here never gave me the parts back. Including the red turn signals and lenses in the headlamps. If I get hold of them you'll be most welcome, I sure do not need them and it would be nice if they could be put to use. It would be a shame if they just go to waste. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 AM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Oh wow, props to you for doing all that. I'm in Munich - (relocated from Ontario, Canada recently) and I don't speak German either - so I can appreciate the amount of effort and hoops you had to jump through.

The car looks amazing!

Thanks very much, now it looks even better, I tell you, after spending a good five hours yesterday afternoon on detailing it on the outside. Having had time to go over it carefully I am very positively surprised as to the car's cosmetic condition, hardly anything I could put my finger on. Will post some new pics of my own soon.

On the importing issue - it was a true ordeal. I had a German speaking friend help me out though, if not I cannot imagine how difficult it would have been. One thing is the language issue, quite another is knowing what is around the next bureaucratic corner, mixed and inconsistent messages depending on who you talk to, what is allowed and what is not, will the headlamps need replacing or is the e-marking ok...it is not something I am likely to do again anytime soon.

Hope you like Munich!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

E_T, thanks!

If you need anything shipped from the States, let me know as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:41 AM
E_T
Instructor

E_T, thanks!

If you need anything shipped from the States, let me know as well.
Thanks a lot! I might just take you up on that. I'll certainly get back to you on the turn-lights. Weather here finally nice and sunny, heading out now for my first proper drive. Cannot wait .
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by E_T
Quite a nerve wrecking thing for me to do, given that I managed (or not) this entire process from my current location in Vienna, Austria.
Lucky you! You have so many great roads just west of you.

Have you been to the Kalte Kuchl just west of Rohr im Gebirge at the 21 and L133? Its a good place to eat and have get togethers. The road west out of there over the Ochsattel is fun.

The L4057 from Gutenstein over the Haselrast to Rohr im Gebirge is a nice mountain road with no traffic.

Leave it to a motorcyclist to know where the great roads are.

As for Sloan, considering the prices, the guy is an amateur. You're not the only one that needed new front and rear hood/engine compartment lid gas shocks.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Lucky you! You have so many great roads just west of you.

Have you been to the Kalte Kuchl just west of Rohr im Gebirge at the 21 and L133? Its a good place to eat and have get togethers. The road west out of there over the Ochsattel is fun.

The L4057 from Gutenstein over the Haselrast to Rohr im Gebirge is a nice mountain road with no traffic.

Leave it to a motorcyclist to know where the great roads are.

As for Sloan, considering the prices, the guy is an amateur. You're not the only one that needed new front and rear hood/engine compartment lid gas shocks.

Small world, Alex. Take a look at the picture below! I was there when you suggested it, it seems. Great drive, I've never been there before, even if I've been located in Vienna for a while. A friend of mine, same guy who helped me with the import, suggested I'd go there. Just about to post some pics in another post. Where in the Alps are you (partly) based?
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E_T
Small world, Alex. Where in the Alps are you (partly) based?
I'm not based there, but I guess you can say, all over. I've been touring Europe and the alps by motorcycle for 17 straight years. The roads (the scenery and the the food and beer) just can't be beat.

If you plan to take your 993 on a day or multi-day drive from there, I know where the good roads and out of the way places to stay are...from Vienna to Mount Blanc.

Does this look familiar? My motorcycle is the one parked along the wall, partly obscured by the blue rice rocket...

I spent four nights at the Kalte Kuchl in 2008. Where in North America can I have great accommodations for a mere €22 per night with a generous breakfast? And its like that all over. Klaus, the owner, rides a Gold Wing and might remember me. We went for a few beers in a bar in Rohr im Gebirge.

And right across from the Kalte Kuchl parking lot...

While on a day trip, I stopped back at the Kalte Kuchl for lunch; a Wiener Schnitzel and a beer for €10. Notice they placed ketchup on my table. I wonder if that was because I am North American (Canadian)...

By the way, this is the road in Gutenstein that heads up the Haselrast. You probably drove right by it...

I have plenty more pics of the area. Time for you to post some. Since you do not speak the language, I take it you are there temporarily. If so, take advantage of your stay; travel and see as much as you can.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reminds me that I have not been to Vienna in 26 years and Austria in 8. Time to go to Northern Italy and Tyrol again.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Reminds me that I have not been to Vienna in 26 years and Austria in 8. Time to go to Northern Italy and Tyrol again.
See you there next summer.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
E_T
Instructor

Thanks Alex! Small world, as I said. Shame I can't really see you bike, though. I didn't really go in or spend much time there, I wanted to get back before dark so didn't really have time to check the place out. I do recognize that road sign. Planning on going back next weekend, weather permitting. The roads were covered in salt, though, so did a through rinse once I returned to the city. The rear bumper was pretty much covered in salt, cannot imagine what the underside was like. It is hard to rinse the car underneath, so not too happy about this road salt at all.

Come spring I will get a chance to explore a bit more, planning a trip to the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse when they open again in May. Bet you have been there, too, right? Looks great (http://www.grossglockner.at/)
Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My memories of the Grossglockner are from when I was 6 or 7 in 2 cylinder NSU Prinz and they weren't good. There were 4 of us in the car and I remember having to walk to the summit because the wimpy 600cc engine ran out of puff and couldn't make it up, over the pass with all our weight. Good times....

This is what it looked like. Rear engined and air cooled, so maybe I should give it a bit more love
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E_T
It is hard to rinse the car underneath, so not too happy about this road salt at all.
Porsches are well treated, but I still wouldn't drive one in salt. Rinse with cold water, not hot.

Originally Posted by E_T
Come spring I will get a chance to explore a bit more, planning a trip to the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse when they open again in May. Bet you have been there, too, right?
Many times. You are going to love the back roads there.

This was in 2010, and it was the first time I had crystal-clear skies in all directions.

Atop the Edelweiss Spitze. A point on the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse (can you see the two tunnels?)...

A Porsche owner I chatted with...

Me, as a tour guide to my friends, looking too serious...
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
E_T
Instructor

Thanks Alex, now I cannot wait till spring, great pics and nice bike!

Quick Reply: 993 redux - back to the fatherland (well, nearly)