993 Forum 1995-1998

997 to 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the issue of whether it's ok as a daily driver is something nobody can advice you on, it's way too personal what you're ok with.

I've heard people complaining 997 GT3 being too harsh for DD (yea right), but for example I am fine with my '68 Ford as a DD (makes 993 seem like a Cadillac)...
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2011, 09:22 AM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my 2007 997 and purchased a 1995 993. I delivered my 997 to Georgia from Pa and purchased a 993 then drove it home so I had immediate feed back on the differences (I never owned a 993). The 997 is more powerful (of course) easer / more stable to drive fast, gets better gas mileage (much better) roomer inside more comfortable to drive. It is a great car, until you drive the 993 and listen to the sound of the air cooled engine. First, I have owned every engine model from the 1972 2.4 through every year of an engine size increase to the 3.2 with a G50 trans in 1987 Then purchased new the 997 over the years I have purchased 2 other 911’s new all the others have been used. So I have expectations when it comes to 911’s,

997 Negatives;
I had never owned a 911 with power steering before my 997, it took away the raw feeling of the car for me, but sure made parking easier. If I never owned a non power steering car I would have not had that feeling. Why don’t the new 911 etc come with a spare, I put one in my 997 and my front end would always scrape. Lastly what I have always liked about Porsche’s in the fact that I felt there was nothing I could not do to repair the car. On the 997 there was nothing I felt comfortable repairing even the radio was unapproachable. So for me the 993 gives me back more of the raw 911 sound and feel (learned to like the power steering) and with the help of this form I can handle any repairs that are needed. That is why today my daily driver is a 993.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks again to everyone for their insight. This has been a very informative thread. Looks like it will be a beautiful day tomorrow here in the OC. Should get in to the mid 80's, high 70's even at the beach. Great day for C&C. Hope to meet some of you RL'ers there and see some nice 993's.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the 993 is a terrible daily driver. But that is for the kind of driving I might find myself in. Beautiful old Ford. You drive that in rush hour traffic? You haul kids around in it? You drive clients in it? Maybe answer is 'yes' to all those in your case. But for many, including me, a classic car like a 993 is not good as a daily driver. For the weekend, nothing better. Just my opinion...your mileage may vary. For the lucky few having a modern Porsche or RS Audi or whatever as a daily driver and 993 for weekend is the cats meow I think.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily drove my 993 for a year and a half. Put 7k miles on the car in one year after it was only driven 10k miles in the last 10 years. Car was flawless. Even in horrible atlanta traffic it was a GREAT dd.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
I daily drove my 993 for a year and a half. Put 7k miles on the car in one year after it was only driven 10k miles in the last 10 years. Car was flawless. Even in horrible atlanta traffic it was a GREAT dd.

Do you think the 993 was designed/engineered to sit in hot bumper to bumper traffic, shifting constantly, etc? I have tried it in summer texas heat rush hour in my first 993 a couple times and as I watched the temp gauge rise and shift back and forth back and forth, just thought... This not what the car was made for.

Obviously this is a very personal thing....
Old 11-26-2011, 03:55 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

People would shudder at some of the cars I have had as daily drivers. But, for me at least, driving them is where the enjoyment is -- not staring at them in the garaqe. My commute is simple, home in Irvine to office in Fashion Island, Newport Beach. About 12-14 minutes. My 997 puts a smile on my face every time. It's a great way to start (and finish) the work day. Gonna be in the 80's here today -- its a ragtop day in SoCal. Gatta admit it was a little chilly at C & C this morning.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Do you think the 993 was designed/engineered to sit in hot bumper to bumper traffic, shifting constantly, etc? I have tried it in summer texas heat rush hour in my first 993 a couple times and as I watched the temp gauge rise and shift back and forth back and forth, just thought... This not what the car was made for.

Obviously this is a very personal thing....
Well, I live in Los Angeles, with both plenty of traffic and hot days. My 993 is my daily driver, and has been for the last 7 years.

The A/C blows cold, and since I'm a native to Los Angeles, I know plenty of by-ways and side streets that keep me from sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic that the rest of the transplanted sheeple who moved here from elsewhere don't know about, I guess.

I think, since these are street cars, they were designed to tolerate such duty with little ill-effect. But, as you said, it's a very personal thing. One man's comfort is another man's torture.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 993 has been my DD for over 5 years - rain or shine. I can't imagine not driving it every day. I enjoy it too much.

But, at 116,000 miles (44,000 on the rebuilt engine), I sometimes think I should go into preservation mode and only drive it a few times a week - and get a 997 (or Cayman) as my cushy, safe(r) workhorse DD.

Last edited by Harry L; 12-01-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Just finished watching the Brazilian F1. It's beautiful outside and I hear my Carrera calling to me, "Come on let's go for a drive".
Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

LeNoah I hate to jump on your thread but I too am in the same predicament. I sold my 997 (pictured left) and now have the bug to get a 993 S or C4S.

What I find interesting is that those (except one) who daily drive their 993's live in the warmer climates and not snowy areas. I'd like to know, if you can only have one 911 and its your daily what you'd recommend (either 997 C4S or 993 C4S) for my requirements below:

1. Daily Driver
2. Winter Driving
3. Bike Rack to carry my road bike
4. 10% daughter hauler

I'll admit that I'm scared of the age issue of the 993's regardless of maintenance history however, that being said a lovely Arena Red 993 C4S would be stellar!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

About a month ago I traded 997.2 C2S for 993 C2S. Here in CT the roads are not friendly to low RWD cars - it's hard enough with my 330i and snows. So my Porsches have always hibernated for the winter. My new-to-me 97 C2S will easily last me my lifetime with light use during spring, summer, and fall. Not sure I could say that if I used it year-round, especially with the amount of salt and sand (actually more like pebbles) they throw on our roads (and the potholes).
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
LeNoah I hate to jump on your thread but I too am in the same predicament. I sold my 997 (pictured left) and now have the bug to get a 993 S or C4S.

What I find interesting is that those (except one) who daily drive their 993's live in the warmer climates and not snowy areas. I'd like to know, if you can only have one 911 and its your daily what you'd recommend (either 997 C4S or 993 C4S) for my requirements below:

1. Daily Driver
2. Winter Driving
3. Bike Rack to carry my road bike
4. 10% daughter hauler

I'll admit that I'm scared of the age issue of the 993's regardless of maintenance history however, that being said a lovely Arena Red 993 C4S would be stellar!

If you are a DIYer, and desire the 993 qualities, go for the 993 C4S. But if you are like me and pay either a dealer or Indy to do my work, expect more work with a 14+ year old Porsche. And be prepared to wrench or be wrenched.

Mark
Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to set up a 2wd for winter driving!

I put allot of thought into how I could make my 96' C2 a winter driving machine.The most important issue is ride level.I put US spec. Turbo springs with HD BilSteins.I have big reds so the smallest rims I can use are 17's.I run 205/50/17 in the front and 235/45/17 in the rear.I use studed snow tires.It is imperative that the car have a LSD/ABD (220/224 options).The turbo springs with the Bilsteins can easily be raised for the three months.I have never been stuck or unable to get around in the last four CT winters.Last year was a challenge.If you can not deal with seeing your car with road grime and salt you will not be able to handel enjoying your 993 all year long.The last mile of road before my house is a county dirt road and it gets huge ruts and pot holes by mid December.The only thing I have had to replace from rust damage is one of the $30.00 rods that help hold up the rear bumper.The HD Bilsteins are designed to be used for off road 10% of the time.I do not understand what all of the fuss is about,but,I am not saving my car for the next guy!You only live once and driving a 2wd 911 in the snow and ice is a pleasure I will not be excluded from.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I put allot of thought into how I could make my 96' C2 a winter driving machine.The most important issue is ride level.I put US spec. Turbo springs with HD BilSteins.I have big reds so the smallest rims I can use are 17's.I run 205/50/17 in the front and 235/45/17 in the rear.I use studed snow tires.It is imperative that the car have a LSD/ABD (220/224 options).The turbo springs with the Bilsteins can easily be raised for the three months.I have never been stuck or unable to get around in the last four CT winters.Last year was a challenge.If you can not deal with seeing your car with road grime and salt you will not be able to handel enjoying your 993 all year long.The last mile of road before my house is a county dirt road and it gets huge ruts and pot holes by mid December.The only thing I have had to replace from rust damage is one of the $30.00 rods that help hold up the rear bumper.The HD Bilsteins are designed to be used for off road 10% of the time.I do not understand what all of the fuss is about,but,I am not saving my car for the next guy!You only live once and driving a 2wd 911 in the snow and ice is a pleasure I will not be excluded from.
That's awesome that you can do that and enjoy the car that way-I would not enjoy my car if I had to drive it in those conditions, so the experience for me would be that of stress, not driving pleasure-the car, for me would loose it's purpose.

Quick Reply: 997 to 993