Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Latest Singer - the real deal now...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Latest Singer - the real deal now...

Here are a couple of links regarding the new and vastly improved Singer that was launched in LA a few days ago:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/maga...0.asp?id=15542

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...by-singer.html

Well done Maz....

Last edited by Nurburger; 11-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:49 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I see they've gone to the suggested 964 platform finally, now the suspension will be able to handle all the power!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

$150K to $300K seems like a lot for a custom 911, but when you consider how much of this car is customized and compare that to another Porsche car builder like Ruf, these seem like a pretty fair deal...I wonder if they will depreciate or hold steady (or, go up in value) over time?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Spidey 993

These cars aren't for the people who wonder about resell value.

They are for the few, the enthusiast who have the means, and can tout they own a Singer, knowing the person or crowd they are in, don't.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

I want my engine to look like that!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Neel Apex
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$150K to $300K seems like a lot for a custom 911, but when you consider how much of this car is customized and compare that to another Porsche car builder like Ruf, these seem like a pretty fair deal...I wonder if they will depreciate or hold steady (or, go up in value) over time?
Seeing and driving the car removes all doubts about the price. Believe it or not, the parts bill in general is well into the 6-figures. The attention to detail is staggering - there is nothing built to this standards in even the price range that its at. Also, it drives brilliantly - there's a refinement and solidness there that's on par with nothing else. I've worked on many, many custom Porsches in my career, from 1000hp 997 turbo street cars to Grand Am Prototypes. This is in a league of its own.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you work for Singer? Thats quite an endorsement.

The orange one is still my favorite, although I can see the appeal of the later gen platform. Can't wait to see the 993 iteration.

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 11-22-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

^Apex are doing the electrical/management systems for the latest Singers...

From what I've heard, we're going to be seeing some great articles from the motoring journalists that have driven the car.

Regarding the price - I personally feel that they have done a great job to enable a $150k starting point, considering the partners involved & component specs. I'm quite sure that mine would top out above the high water mark...

Kudos to all involved.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

That would explain it. Gorgeous cars and certainly unique. The ultimate in limited production with more than a nod to the essence of what makes a Porsche, a Porsche. Very envious of anyone able to swing for one of those babies.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Neel Apex
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you work for Singer? Thats a quite an endorsement.
Yep, and I'm completely biased. A small group of individuals have put a lot of work into making this car happen. But I've also been fortunate enough to drive it, and I'm being completely honest in saying that all of us who have are impressed (and a little relieved) that it works so well. Its easy to build cars that are NOT the sum of their parts, and the parts in this one means it has a lot to live up to....
-Neel
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"What was newsworthy about the Singer Racing Silver metallic with Ruby Red interior – a homage to a classic, high-performance early 911 – was that it showcased sophisticated new processes and partnerships with world-class suppliers that will further elevate founder and creative director Rob Dickinson’s dream of building the ultimate air-cooled 911."

Seems like 9M is doing the same thing with its 993 Speedsters, but without the marketing angle.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I would have no problem spending that on the silver car. That thing is just beautiful.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:14 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Happy for Maz, Rob Dickinson (& Neel Apex), etc.

Originally Posted by brucec59

Speedsters
Singer Speedster ... hmmmm.

Posted yesterday on Race911 (Ken)'s "LA Auto Show" thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover

For the air-cooled devotees who want something brand new and air-cooled to drool over at the show

Today's pix & commentary from media day, by a SoCal 356 enthusiast (whom I think is a friend of RJT's):

Unlike previous years where center stage was taken by heritage Porsches, this year the LA Auto Show concentrated on the new production models. Executives from Porsche AG and PCNA presented two new models of their current production; the Panamera GTS and the new 991. Both these models took the spot light and no heritage cars were present.

Then came the moment, the official unveiling of the cars under cover. This was anticlimactic as we have all seen the new 991 either at Rennsport Reunion or Tech Tactics. The other car was intriguing. As the executives made the announcement on the models, two current Porsche factory drivers rolled back the covers and unveiled the “go fast “ version of the Panamera, the Panamera GTS. O.K., nice car, but last year, the talk was about the 60 years of Porsche heritage in the United States and the “oldest” production Porsche in the United States.

Later in the day, I had an opportunity to attend a private gathering for the Singer 911. With the escalation in 356 values, Porsche enthusiasts have turned to more affordable models such as early 911s and 912s. These models have skyrocketed in popularity and value in recent years. This renewed interest has taken another twist. The remanufacturing of 911s into a hot rod with modern amenities and improvements. To the end, the Singer company remanufacturers 964s into a retro looking long nose 911. Their motto is “Restored Reimaged Reborn.” Basically you bring your car to Singer and they perform their magic. Included are many options which enhance the handling, engine performance, and appearance of the car. The engine has three levels of tune. The base being a 3.6 liter 6 massaged by Cosworth at its Torrance Center of Excellence. Suspension, exterior and interior trim levels are selected by the owner. This package does not come cheap, but if you have it all, then this is the next step for toy collectors.

Wide body, carbon fiber look with old school bumpers. Optional passenger and driver’s door mirrors.
Cosworth massaged motor, tuned headers with G50 5 or 6 speed trannies. The leather interior has the old school look with reimaged Recaro seats to recall the low back sport seats from the 60’s and 70’s.
The price of all this fun? Everything is left up to the owner’s imagination and needs. Open for discussion.

Being an eternal optimist, I am looking forward to an improved economy in 2012. With that comes renewed hope that we will have many more choices for toys in the garage. Until next year, keep your fingers crossed.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Love it!!. Engine massaged by Cosworth... oh yes!!

The Panamera GTS not so much......different story.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

That silver one. I felt movement.

Holy smokes that's gorgeous!

Andreas

Quick Reply: Latest Singer - the real deal now...