993 Forum 1995-1998

LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LA Auto Show

Figured I'd put up a thread here since I'm going to spend the day there tomorrow. Will report on the 991 we all absolutely, positively want, plus post photos when I get back.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking forward to the pictures Ken, especially of a certain metallic red car.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

Will report on the Singer 911 we all absolutely, positively want, plus post photos when I get back.
Fixed it for ^^ the air-cooled devotees who want something brand new and air-cooled to drool over at the show

Today's pix & commentary from media day, by a SoCal 356 enthusiast (whom I think is a friend of RJT's):

Unlike previous years where center stage was taken by heritage Porsches, this year the LA Auto Show concentrated on the new production models. Executives from Porsche AG and PCNA presented two new models of their current production; the Panamera GTS and the new 991. Both these models took the spot light and no heritage cars were present.

Entering the Porsche display at the Petree Hall, we were treated with a teaser. It was a 997 ALMS racer. But beyond that one car, the message was clear; feature the new production models and not emphasize the past or the racing heritage. As a 356 model enthusiast, I would have left and gone on to the other manufacturers in the main hall. But, being a faithful trooper, I stayed for the press conference. I was rewarded for my faithfulness.

The current models were on display, each was given clear boundaries and one could walk around the cars with ease. The display was logically laid out and each model had their own area of the hall.

Then came the moment, the official unveiling of the cars under cover. This was anticlimactic as we have all seen the new 991 either at Rennsport Reunion or Tech Tactics, The other car was intriguing. What was under the cover? It has the distinctive shape of a Panamera. But what was it? That was the other teaser. I didn’t have to wait long. As the executives made the announcement on the models, two current Porsche factory drivers rolled back the covers and unveiled the “go fast “ version of the Panamera, the Panamera GTS. O.K., nice car, but last year, the talk was about the 60 years of Porsche heritage in the United States and the “oldest” production Porsche in the United States.

Then the surprise announcement, PCNA recognizes the contributions of the Western part of the US as the best market for Porsches! What a revelation! How were they going to reward us? With our own Porsche Experience Center! This facility will be located on a former golf course and former apartment close to the 405 and 110 intersections.

There was a model of the facility showing multiple tracks to accommodate different driving conditions. Later I had an opportunity to talk to a Porsche official and he stated that there are considerations for a “cultural central” meeting spot for clubs and club events. What a great idea! Now, we 356s potentially have a spot that will anchor all our activities. Ground breaking is to be in early 2012. I can’t wait to see this facility when it is completed. The possibilities are endless. Again, the key words are “cultural center”. One possibility is Porsche bringing cars over from the museum for extended displays. I proposed an interesting idea; since we are a hub of Porsche activities, there are many excellent examples of Porsches here in SoCal, why not ask those owners to display their cars. That idea was well received. One can only hope. Three major Porsche Clubs in SoCal, lots of Porsches will fill the facility with activities and gatherings.

Later in the day, I had an opportunity to attend a private gathering for the Singer 911. With the escalation in 356 values, Porsche enthusiasts have turned to more affordable models such as early 911s and 912s. These models have skyrocketed in popularity and value in recent years. This renewed interest has taken another twist. The remanufacturing of 911s into a hot rod with modern amenities and improvements. To the end, the Singer company remanufacturers 964s into a retro looking long nose 911. Their motto is “Restored Reimaged Reborn.” Basically you bring your car to Singer and they perform their magic. Included are many options which enhance the handling, engine performance, and appearance of the car. The engine has three levels of tune. The base being a 3.6 liter 6 massaged by Cosworth at its Torrance Center of Excellence. Suspension, exterior and interior trim levels are selected by the owner. This package does not come cheap, but if you have it all, then this is the next step for toy collectors.

Wide body, carbon fiber look with old school bumpers. Optional passenger and driver’s door mirrors.
Cosworth massaged motor, tuned headers with G50 5 or 6 speed trannies. The leather interior has the old school look with reimaged Recaro seats to recall the low back sport seats from the 60’s and 70’s.
The price of all this fun? Everything is left up to the owner’s imagination and needs. Open for discussion.

Being an eternal optimist, I am looking forward to an improved economy in 2012. With that comes renewed hope that we will have many more choices for toys in the garage. Until next year, keep your fingers crossed.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Enginuity
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Color of the 80's 911?

Originally Posted by curve lover
Fixed it for ^^ the air-cooled devotees who want something brand new and air-cooled to drool over at the show

Today's pix & commentary from media day, by a SoCal 356 enthusiast (whom I think is a friend of RJT's):
BY CHANCE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PAINT COLOR IS ON THE LATE 911 PICTURED HERE? I'M IN PROCESS OF PAINTING MY CAR AND WAS DECIDING BETWEEN THE GT SILVER AND SOMETHING LIKE THE LIGHT SILVER METALLIC ON THIS LATE 911.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Isn't it called ALL CAPS.....or maybe it's OLD THREAD....

Quick Reply: LA Auto Show