993 Forum 1995-1998

My first Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts
Exclamation My first Porsche...

... and I think I made the right choice by choosing the 993 platform.

Hello fellow Rennlisters

After living over a year in Switzerland I decided to move back to my hometown of Montreal in 2012. Ever since I moved away I’ve looked into a wide range of cars, from Alfa Romeo GTs (early 70s), to E30/E46 M3, to Ferrari 348. In the end I found that the 993 would best suit me.

I found this red beauty on the east coast, and within a week from initial contact with the seller, I had it sitting in my parent’s driveway.
Thankfully my dad is a long-time car enthusiast, so he was able to help me in getting the car ready for provincial inspection.

While the car is 6000km away from me, I can’t help but be anxious to drive it next spring... And as a ‘going away’ gift to myself for my time spent in Europe, I arranged a once in a lifetime (for me, at least) visit to Ruf in Pfaffenhausen in December.
I think it’s only appropriate since the car already has quite a few bits from the 993 Ruf catalogue installed.
Aside from a bunch of merchandise, I have ordered a couple of extra small goodies to support the look. I'll update the post with my visit in due time.

My main priority right now is addressing any minor issues to make this car a solid summer daily driver (first thing is valve cover gaskets, then change all fluids and hope it’ll make 2nd slip in smoother), and enjoy is as is as much as I can!

Here is a list of the items installed so far (from what I’ve gathered from past sales):

Ruf upgrades:
• Ruf Chrome Exhaust tips
• Ruf CTR2 Front Bumper cover
• Ruf Pedals
• Ruf Foot Rest
• Ruf 19" Wheel Set
• Ruf Short Shift
• Ruf Shift ****/Boot
• Ruf Steering Wheel in Leather

Some additional options/upgrades:
• 993 Turbo S Fog Lights & Brake ducts
• Bilstein Euro coilover suspension
• Porsche Hi-Fi door panels
• JL Audio sound system (whole kit will be removed... I’d rather listen to the engine sing)
• DACH X-Pipe
• Motor Sound Package
• RS motor mounts
• RS front strut brace

Purchased parts to be installed:
• 3.8 Bridge Wing w/3rd brake light (still contemplating installing this one, have it in the garage to replace the basket handle)

I don't know how to add a description over the attachments but I included 5 pics...
The first being one that my best friend snapped as he was going to work. He saw the car being towed in, snapped the pic and sent it to me.
The second and third are rear shots. No vanity plates are allowed in QC but my dad thought I could relate to the last 3 letters on this one.
And the 4th and 5th were snapped right before it was rolled into storage for the winter. It's my dad behind the wheel so I blurred out his face

So, sorry for the long-ish read, but all this to say that I am a new member here. It’s the most useful forum I’ve found and I’m glad to be a part of it.
If anyone has a 993 in the Montreal area, feel free to PM me so we can arrange a proper photo shoot.

-Luigi
Attached Images      
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is one great looking car. Love the wheels and front bumper. Posting pics as well, top shelf.

Mike
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Very nice, congrats!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that front bumper makes me wish I did the Ruf instead of the Turbo. Nice car and welcome to the family.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Top Notch!
looks like a great car
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome !!!

Very nice car indeed, what a way to start your Porsche ownership.

Congrats
Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very very nice!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! Love the guards red and the ruf wheels. Seeing as how I'm ony 2hrs away, I've been to mtl several times to purchase parts off fellow rennlisters. I've seen your car for sale previously on here, and I've always liked it. Here are a few of the previous sale posts, if you're interested in the history of your car. Search on here for user name melman911 and you'll see lots of posts about it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canad...995-993-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...95-993-c2.html
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Sweet ride! I just joined the family as well.. picked up a 97 C2, black on black.. ill need to get some pics up. Right now im just going through the whole car and fixing all the little things that arent 100%, spent most of the weekend under the car.. here's a list so far

- RS motor mounts
- Seat fw\bk drive cable
- Spoiler drive gear bearing
- Aftermarket stereo setup - thinking of ditching the 4 amps + wiring they installed. Car had the hifi option, so maybe a nice BP deck and use the nokia amp it shipped with

This week
- oil and transmission change\flush
- lower valve cover gaskets
- hood shocks

I loooooove my 993 My other car is my 03 Mini Cooper S (lots of mods, so a 200hp go-kart track monster), it's a totally different ride\feeling and loove both of them! I've hit car heaven

phil.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Sweet
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
I've seen your car for sale previously on here...
So it went from an owner in Texas to one in Alberta and now to its new owner...all since 2008. How can someone not like it and hang onto it?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
No vanity plates are allowed in QC but my dad thought I could relate to the last 3 letters on this one.

-Luigi
You mean the CHF .... Swiss Francs!

Its too bad the car is here and not in Switzerland where the mountain roads are pure heaven. What part of Switzerland are you in?

While on my annual motorcycle tour in the Alps last summer, I ran into this new owner of a 993 on the San Bernardino Pass...

Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 AM
993::hb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You mean the CHF .... Swiss Francs!

Its too bad the car is here and not in Switzerland where the mountain roads are pure heaven. What part of Switzerland are you in?

While on my annual motorcycle tour in the Alps last summer, I ran into this new owner of a 993 on the San Bernardino Pass...

I live in switzerland and have taken my c4s through san bernadino pass now a few times lot of fun!!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

You have acquired one beautiful 993 there, sir.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

One of my favorites!

Quick Reply: My first Porsche...