993 Forum 1995-1998

Koni's or Monroe Shock best prices

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
This begs the question... Are there really ROW vs. US Monroe shocks? Is it just the spring that's different, but the shock is the same? I wonder if some who experienced early failure lowered the car using ROW or aftermarket springs and that caused the problem...

My understanding has always been that there are RoW M030 Monroes and U.S.-spec M030 Monroes.

However, p-car.com suggests that the rears are different, but shows the same part number for the fronts.

I will check Streather's 993 book.

Harry
Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, consider Billsteins, I love mine!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I wonder if the FSD's are available yet. I ordered a set in May, and when I was advised in late June that they may not be available until October, I went the Bilstein route.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Rob, consider Bilsteins, I love mine!
I drove a 993 that just had HDs installed and the ride was very nice (less harsh than my stock OEM shocks), and those were the ones I was considering, but after reading a few reports on here of the link mounts rotating, I decided otherwise. That issue could have been installation error, but till I see them, I'll pass. Plus I don't mind stock ride height for its advantages.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I drove a 993 that just had HDs installed and the ride was very nice (less harsh than my stock OEM shocks), and those were the ones I was considering, but after reading a few reports on here of the link mounts rotating, I decided otherwise. That issue could have been installation error, but till I see them, I'll pass. Plus I don't mind stock ride height for its advantages.
What are these issues you refer to? I've not seen anything bad written about Bilsteins here...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
What are these issues you refer to? I've not seen anything bad written about Bilsteins here...
Not the shock itself, but the mount for the sway bar link not staying in place.

There have been two members that have mentioned the issue.

Here is one...Bilstein Thread Link
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to set the locking rings with a hammer and a drift punch, not the spanner wrenches, and you will be fine. No big deal. Bilstein makes a nice product.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
You need to set the locking rings with a hammer and a drift punch, not the spanner wrenches, and you will be fine. No big deal.
Oh sure, that I'm aware of. Makes perfect sense, and to not do that WOULD be an installation error-not necessarily a design flaw.

Gonna put my FD Motorsports-sourced Bilsteins on the rear tomorrow, and hopefully get her back on the ground!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Oh sure, that I'm aware of. Makes perfect sense, and to not do that WOULD be an installation error-not necessarily a design flaw.
If Bilstein supplies a spanner wrench with the shocks, then I would expect to use it and torque them to whatever Bilstein specifies. After all, that is why they have square slots in those collars. A hammer and punch on my car? That mechanic better start running...and damn fast.

Ed, does the Bilstein kit supply a ring spanner and do they specify a torque?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

If Bilstein supplies a spanner wrench with the shocks, then I would expect to use it and torque them to whatever Bilstein specifies. After all, that is why they have square slots in those collars. A hammer and punch on my car? That mechanic better start running...and damn fast.

Ed, does the Bilstein kit supply a ring spanner and do they specify a torque?
No, and no. Buy new lugnuts, and they don't come with instructions on proper torque either. I've bought a few sets, and haven't received a torque wrench either. Heck, there are 20 of those suckers on each of our cars-I'd say tq settings and a tq wrench are pretty important.

If perfection of design were such an issue, why would any of us own a 993? Or, if this shock was such a bad design that destroyed rear components, there would be a lot of used PSSX, HD's, etc offered up for sale.

Taking a drift and hammer to tighten a locking collar on my rear shocks won't keep me up at night. Try rebuilding an air-cooled Porsche 6 cyl engine without a hammer/mallet at some point in the process.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lock rings for the Bisteins are alloy, I'd recommend a brass punch.

Slotted lock rings are quite often tightend with a punch and hammer to lock up the inner race on big bearings in industrial applications. There is usually also a lock washer with a tab going into the key-way on the shaft and the outer tabs go into one of the matching slots on the lock ring after solid tightening with hammer and punch. It's pretty well standard practice.

C36 Canadian 993 lowered by PO, see picture.

I have a 030 option code identified as: Sports Suspension Group.
What exactly does that mean?

Are the springs reusable if I want to install Bilstein HD struts and shocks?

Or are the springs replaced? With what?

110k km (70k miles) but suspension is still remarkably solid.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Buy new lugnuts, and they don't come with instructions on proper torque either.
True, but the supplier (Porsche) of those lug nuts does specify a torque in the repair manual. Neither do the valve cover screws, but that torque is in the repair manual. I don't need to use a torque wrench, but I choose to.

If this shock was such a bad design.
I never said it was; I stated that "the issue could have been installation error".

Although in Ryano's thread I did state "Poor design in my opinion. Something that should not rotate should be keyed". In fact even MarkD stated, "I agree, keyed would be better... or a set screw like KW uses. Silly Germans" and they sell them. Some have even recommended and use a collar on either side of the perch. Why would they if it isn't a possible issue.

Possible solution...MarkD mentioned that KW uses a set screw. If the collar is thick enough, one could drill and tap a hole in the collar for a small set screw that would lock the ring in place. Downside is it would mark the threads on the shock....don't know if that matters at that location.

Taking a drift and hammer to tighten a locking collar on my rear shocks won't keep me up at night.
I guess that is why I spent some 4 hours getting one of the seized-in-place screws holding the front brake air deflector out of the control arm...otherwise I would have needed to drill it out. Less brute force...more thought.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess that is why I spent some 4 hours getting one of the seized-in-place screws holding the front brake air deflector out of the control arm...otherwise I would have needed to drill it out. Less brute force...more thought.
Those bolts are not threaded into the control arm. They slip through it and have a nut on the other side. So if you snapped it, it would simply fall out. Replace with a new bolt and nut ($2.00). No drill required. 5 min fix.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Not every hammer stroke requires brute force, including setting these collars.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Those bolts are not threaded into the control arm. They slip through it and have a nut on the other side.
I know; I already had the other three of them out. It seems to happen to those bolts sometimes. I know Andreas had the same issue with one.

So if you snapped it, it would simply fall out. Replace with a new bolt and nut ($2.00). No drill required. 5 min fix.
Yes, provided the nut was seized to the bolt, you can snap it off, but that was not the case. The nut came off without issue (my 993 is rust-free).

The problem was the bolt going through what was once a clearance hole in the control arm, but thanks to aluminium doing what it sometimes does (the shank of the bolt was fine), the bolt was seized in the control arm. The bolt would move, more like twist within the linear region of the material, a few degrees at a time with sounds of fingernails on a blackboard. In the end, a hydraulic jack and pin punch got it out with plenty of ratcheting back and forth...like I said...about 4 hours...but no damage. A drill bit run through the hole cleared out all the white powdery stuff that caused the problem. Then new bolt slipped right in.

Thanks to a lot of patience, no brute force and lots of finesse and thought, a drill was not required.

Quick Reply: Koni's or Monroe Shock best prices