Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey Guys. Sorry for the thread resurrection but a question. I am installing the Bluetooth Mic in the same location that Efong has pictured, above the mirror on the windshield. I've run the wire under the rubber seal as shown and down the passenger side A pillar to the dash, it is done to the center of the side of the dash as seen in the pic. My question: Where from here? Is there a better route or something obvious I am missing? I would like to keep the wire hidden obviously, any help? I run a few searches in hopes of an answer but unsure as to remove the upper dash, glove box, etc. Thanks......Mark.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

Hey Mark,
I didn't run the wires myself, but it looks like they came out the same place yours does, then back across to the weatherstripping, down and then back across and routed somewhere behind the glovebox. I don't recall them pulling the glovebox, but I might be wrong. Anyways, it was done by Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations so if you give him a ring, I think he'll be glad to help out. - Ed

Last edited by ShdwFx; 07-10-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Ed. Unless someone else has a better option I'll go your route. As inconspicuous as those two wires are in your pic, I'd sure like to avoid even that minimal of exposure. I'd pull the upper dash but I've read where there is a barrier of sorts between it and the lower dash area. In looking inside the radio "hole" it does look like there is a "roof" section inside it. Anyone else?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by efong
Hey Mark,
I didn't run the wires myself, but it looks like they came out the same place yours does, then back across to the weatherstripping, down and then back across and routed somewhere behind the glovebox. I don't recall them pulling the glovebox, but I might be wrong. Anyways, it was done by Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations so if you give him a ring, I think he'll be glad to help out. - Ed
I took off the end cap on the dash and run it under there, and then put the eng cap back on - I managed to run the wire down without every going to the outside of the weathstripping. Worked great!

On the windshield, I ran the wire between the glass and the gasket, not the gasket and the headliner. It seems to be a better place to hide it.

Cheers

Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Mike. Sorry for the dumb question (I knew my Boxster up, down, front to back, EVERYTHING about this 993 is different and new to me) but when you said you ran it through the "dash end cap" you were talking about the red X'ed area in the picture below? Or did you run it through one of the two lower caps that are secured with screws? If the top / upper cap, did the end cap snap back into place alright with the wire going in? Next, from there was it a straight shot to the rear of the radio area? Thanks again.....Mark.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
My car came with the Bat Phone option, and there is a mic installed in the dash to the upper left of the tach (opposite to the dash-light dimmer). The hole is only big enough to fit the wire and plug thru, and the mic is (or I should say was) glued on. It's a pretty small mic. Wish I had a pic.
my car had this too. lo and behold, the plug on the end of the OEM mike fit the jack in the back of my Pioneer head unit and works perfectly. Better to be lucky than good.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark,

I have the same unit and BT mic as pictured in this thread...I have my mic run by the windshield too...and I do get people who have trouble hearing me when I'm driving on the highway. Apparently the wind noise at moderate speeds (60 MPH) starts to distort the clarity of the mic. If I could do it over again, I'd mount mine on the column as shown in this thread...

just my $.02

Good luck

Mark
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Thanks M Fig. Since you are not the only one who has brought up the wind noise issue regarding the windshield placement I am going to mount it on the top of the column. Now if I can only figure out how to get the plug through the top of the column.

Ran various searches and found out how to remove the cover, 6 screws.

Last edited by coreseller; 01-18-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
Thanks M Fig. Since you are not the only one who has brought up the wind noise issue regarding the windshield placement I am going to mount it on the top of the column. Now if I can only figure out how to get the plug through the top of the column.

Ran various searches and found out how to remove the cover, 6 screws.
I just pm'd you back. I thought there were 4 screws, but maybe there are 6....I can't recall exactly. Basically, you will separate the top from the bottom and give yourself a lot of space to fish the mic up from under the dash.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finally installed my Kenwood. The look and color is really nice. The Pandora functionality is perfect.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Awesome! The more I use it the more I like it.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My installer ran it up the drivers A pillar. It is mounted up high at almost visor height. No wires showing and it works well. The wire can hide inside the gap behind the A pillar
Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

I ended up mounting mine on top of the steering column per prior pics and suggestions. Been using it for 2 months and I believe the location has helped it to work like a charm, voice clarity on the other end of the call is great. Now if I could only figure out a way to eliminate the glare on the Blaupunkt Toronto head unit , makes it nearly unreadable during daylight hours.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted my mic below the ashtray (clipped into the plastic above the switch section) and surprisingly it works great and looks nice/clean too.

Quick Reply: Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!